PDA

View Full Version : Prop ding

DanC
09-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Checked the prop after this weekend's skiing and noticed a small ding in one blade. It is an OJ XMP. The ding is not visible to the eye and there is no damage to the surface or finish of the prop but a flat spot can be felt when running your fingers over the blade. The flat spot is about the size of a nickle. I don't notice any change in vibrations when running the boat at any speed. But then again, I don't have the most discerning senses.

What would you do? Leave it alone? Hammer the ding yourself? Send the prop in to be re-pitched? I have heard stories that prop repair can not get the same accuracy as the manufactured prop. Prop repair isn't cheap, is it worth it in this case?

MasterMason
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Depending on where the flat spot is, it might be just the final blancing from the factory.

stevo137
09-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Edit.
I usually get a ding sooner or later in the season due to low lake level. If you don't have loss of top end or feel no vibration at any speed there is nothing to worry about.
It can make things worse if you try to bend it back and you should never file rough spots.

DanC
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Depending on where the flat spot is, it might be just the final blancing from the factory.

It is not a balancing flat spot. As I said, there is no change to the surface or finish. The flat spot is on the middle edge of one blade. The other two blades have some cup along the edge, this blade now has less/no cup. Most likely caused when hitting a waterlogged stick, soft but has some mass to it. My son hit several small ones that day.

east tx skier
09-06-2005, 02:38 PM
If there's no vibration, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If there's a hint of vibration, particularly with a CNC'd prop, I'd get it refinished. My $.02.

Andyg
09-06-2005, 02:56 PM
In addition to what East TX said I would check your WOT RPMs and top speed. I noticed with just the smallest of dings on props it would drop my top end 1-2 mph.

stevo137
09-06-2005, 03:13 PM
If there's no vibration, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If there's a hint of vibration, particularly with a CNC'd prop, I'd get it refinished. My $.02.

It's very difficult to repair a CNC'd prop.
Once it is damaged, it will never be as good as new.

jimmer2880
09-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Put your hand on the pilon to test for vibrations. That's the best way I've found.

BriEOD
09-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Dan you'll probably just have to scrap the whole boat and get a new one now that the prop is dinged. :purplaugh

sizzler
09-07-2005, 07:01 AM
morning bri......you're chirpy this morning

H20skeefreek
09-07-2005, 07:59 AM
you should never file rough spots? I do at least once a season. oops.

BriEOD
09-07-2005, 08:10 AM
morning bri......you're chirpy this morning

Back at you Pete. How was Holiday?

sizzler
09-07-2005, 08:32 AM
was superb....temps in the high70-mid 80's ....lake at 70-74....very sunny.......most days was .b/footin,slalom,boardin.w/skatin,kneeboardin'messing about on the inflatables..on a disc(very slippery but managed a few 1080's)..and even got the jump skis out.....kids progressed so much i am still smiling....heading back up on fri. for a session of jumping :eek:

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 10:48 AM
was superb....temps in the high70-mid 80's ....lake at 70-74....very sunny.......most days was .b/footin,slalom,boardin.w/skatin,kneeboardin'messing about on the inflatables..on a disc(very slippery but managed a few 1080's)..and even got the jump skis out.....kids progressed so much i am still smiling....heading back up on fri. for a session of jumping :eek:

Sounds like you had a great little vacation! Be safe on the jump.....keep your eyes to the skies ;)

DanC
09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Put your hand on the pilon to test for vibrations. That's the best way I've found.

Good tip, thanks :steering:

DanC
09-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Geez, have you guys been watching The View and drinking decaff chamomile tea? The testosterone level seems to be going down. This forum gets 50 hits in 24 hours of OPINIONS on off-topic subjects :rolleyes: . I never thought I would have to say this after the nice sidebar the swim suit thread took but,

BUTCH UP :rant:

j/k Thanks for the feedback, I think I will take one more run with it and be more diligent in checking for vibration through the complete speed range.

Farmer Ted
09-07-2005, 12:33 PM
It's very difficult to repair a CNC'd prop.
Once it is damaged, it will never be as good as new.

That's to be expected with any Propeller repair.

http://www.acmemarine.com/html/faq.html
Q: If I damage my Acme Propeller, how easy will it be to have it repaired?
A: No problem. In the same way that technological advances in the automotive industry have brought about changes in service for automobiles, Acme Propellers are somewhat new to the propeller repair industry. Even though Acme Propellers have a unique look, there is really no difference in the way they are repaired. As can be expected, it is not possible to return an Acme Propeller to perfectly new condition, because this would require maintaining tolerances of plus or minus the thickness of a human hair. However, in most cases, it is easier to repair an Acme Propeller, because of the accuracy and consistency built into the propellers and pitch blocks from the start. Propeller blade thicknesses, for example, are consistent and virtually identical to one another.
You may want to inform your repairperson that both Pesco Inc. (Ph. 800-835-6007) and Rundquist Propeller Tools Inc. (Ph. 314-638-7667) are producing pitch blocks for the correct repair of Acme Propellers. Please be advised that some of the original CNC tool lines, which are a product of the CNC manufacturing process, may be altered or removed upon repair. This in particular will not hamper the performance of the propeller.
Keep in mind that the repair of any propeller, worth repairing, is only as good as the shop that repairs it. Regarding Acme Inboard Wake & Ski Boat propellers, if you are unable to find a good repair shop in your area, preferably one that is certified by the NMPA, you can call us for an RMA number, and send your propeller back to Acme Marine. We have been repairing Acme Propellers for quite some time now and have encountered absolutely no repairability issues. Furthermore, if your repairperson has any questions or concerns about the correct repair of an Acme Propeller, ask them to give us a call. We are happy to help.

stevo137
09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Farmer Ted]That's to be expected with any Propeller repair.

Perhaps I should rephrase this.
When I say as "good as new" obviously nothing once used will ever be exactly like new but I can tell you for sure that I have had one OJ 3-Blade and one Ambush 4-Blade restored to the point where there was no detectable loss in performance after the repairs.
I'm not convinced that you can do this with the CNC'd.
I might be wrong but time will tell...

(Quote from Acme)
Please be advised that some of the original CNC tool lines, which are a product of the CNC manufacturing process, may be altered or removed upon repair. This in particular will not hamper the performance of the propeller.
Keep in mind that the repair of any propeller, worth repairing, is only as good as the shop that repairs it.

Notice that they say that some of the CNC'd lines might be gone after the repair but it will not hamper performance.
They have a fall back position regarding the repair. (It's only as good as the shop that repairs it).