PDA

View Full Version : Boat let me down

HRC
10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
The last time out about 300 yards from the ramp, my hose from the H20 pump to the trans cooler came off. The boat didn't get too hot because we were right near the ramp. Anyway, it was in the evening and we were done for the weekend so I didn't put the hose back on until this past Friday morning. Hoping to get some lake time while nobody else was around and the water was like glass all weekend we were ready. Only problem was the boat wouldn't start. I messed with it most of Friday and part of Sat. morning with no luck. It's turning over good but I pulled a spark plug and it's not firing. I took it to a local marine shop but since he does more outboard repair he didn't have any luck either. Said he didn't have the diagrams or computer software to hook up. So, I ended up taking it down to the MC dealer in Conway, Ar. Waiting on the dreaded phone call this week. I'm thinking maybe the Crankcase position sensor may have gotten wet when the hose came off. You guys have any ideas?

mikeg205
10-01-2012, 08:57 PM
what year boat? engine? Don't see why a crank position sensor wold fail if it got wet...nothing really to them...

HRC
10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
It's an '01 Prostar 205v with the LTR engine.

mikeg205
10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Maybe JimN has a recomendation...please post what it was when you find out..

JimN
10-01-2012, 10:42 PM
The last time out about 300 yards from the ramp, my hose from the H20 pump to the trans cooler came off. The boat didn't get too hot because we were right near the ramp. Anyway, it was in the evening and we were done for the weekend so I didn't put the hose back on until this past Friday morning. Hoping to get some lake time while nobody else was around and the water was like glass all weekend we were ready. Only problem was the boat wouldn't start. I messed with it most of Friday and part of Sat. morning with no luck. It's turning over good but I pulled a spark plug and it's not firing. I took it to a local marine shop but since he does more outboard repair he didn't have any luck either. Said he didn't have the diagrams or computer software to hook up. So, I ended up taking it down to the MC dealer in Conway, Ar. Waiting on the dreaded phone call this week. I'm thinking maybe the Crankcase position sensor may have gotten wet when the hose came off. You guys have any ideas?

How long did you run it without water? Don't do that, ever.

It's nit-picking, but that's crankshaft position sensor and it's weather-tight, or it should be, anyway.

Make sure the lanyard is on the safety switch.

What got wet? Did water sit on the engine for the whole time between the hose coming off and trying to start it later?

Look at the wiring harness where it runs over the intake manifold and near anything that could be hot without cooling water going to the engine. If you see that the black plastic split loom is melted, look at the wires inside- if you see that any are melted, these must be repaired, especially if the copper wire is visible. Don't just cut and splice with butt connectors- solder them and use self-sealing heat shrink tubing. Nothing else will be a permanent connection.

Get a paper clip and stick it in the diagnostic port- terminals A and B. Turn the key ON and watch the check engine light to see if it has any stored codes. If it shows anything other than 12 (three times), post the codes here.

Also, check all of the fuses and make sure the fuel pump if working. You said the spark plug wasn't firing- don't hold the plug wires on the plug end- this ignition system puts out over 50KV and you don't want to get a handful of that, especially if you have any medical equipment implanted in you. If you want to check for spark, use a timing light- it's much less painful, trust me.

Pull the crank sensors off, one at a time, and look for moisture. If it looks wet, blow compressed air in and get the water out, then spray some contact cleaner/preservative in. Then, look for the purple/white wire at the ECM. Open the black plastic cover on the plug and leave it in place so the wires don't come out of their positions. Use a multi-meter set to DC volts- ground the black wire and probe the purple/white terminal while someone cranks the engine. If you see no voltage, it could be the crank sensors, IC module, the wire loom, etc.

HRC
10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
1 problem. Boat is 150 miles away. Anyway, not sure what all got wet. the temp gauge never got over 200 and I really don't think there was a point that no water was in the engine. I found the wires to the lanyard switch and used a meter to check them, it works. I used some lineman pliers while holding the spark plug wire, I know better than to hold it bare handed. I did look for and thing melted and didn't see anything, not saying there isn't just that I didn't see any.
Like I said, it's at MC of Arkansas in Conway, just waiting on the call now.
Thanks for the replies.

JimN
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
1 problem. Boat is 150 miles away. Anyway, not sure what all got wet. the temp gauge never got over 200 and I really don't think there was a point that no water was in the engine. I found the wires to the lanyard switch and used a meter to check them, it works. I used some lineman pliers while holding the spark plug wire, I know better than to hold it bare handed. I did look for and thing melted and didn't see anything, not saying there isn't just that I didn't see any.
Like I said, it's at MC of Arkansas in Conway, just waiting on the call now.
Thanks for the replies.

By the time your gauge shows 200, the internals of the engine will be far hotter- that sensor doesn't report to the ECM, so if the coolant temperature wire melted and is shorted to its ground or the block, it probably won't start.

FYI- lineman's pliers are probably good to about 1KV, maybe 2KV.

Jason.H.
10-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I know this is probably a dumb question, but hey, I have seen it happen.. when you removed a spark plug and you were checking for spark did you have electrode end of the spark plug grounded or were you just holding it up in the air? It has to be held against a good ground on the engine. It wont spark if your holding it away from touching ground. (Like I said, I have seen guys do that and think there is no spark because they havnt been shown the proper way to check so no offense)

HRC
10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Just wanted to update y'all. MC Boats in Conway, Ar. got me going again. Had to replace both crankshaft position sensors.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Just wanted to update y'all. MC Boats in Conway, Ar. got me going again. Had to replace both crankshaft position sensors.

Good for them!

bcd
10-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I got here late, but after I got some water in my 02 X Star, I had issues with it not running. I learned that if I pulled off the crankshaft position sensors and blew on them, it would do the trick. I added some dielectric grease, and that solved the problem permanently.