PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires

Hogwild
10-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

I'm need to order some new trailer tires for next year for a tandem axel trailer. Any brands/tires you would recommend and those you would steer clear from?

Looks like the old ones on there now are "Freestar radial"? I've never heard of those, but then again I've never purchased trailer tires either. Would you recommend those to use again? The tread life is good, but the sidewalls have started to crack. I'm not sure if that is just because of tire's age or the quality of the actual tire.

Thanks

TxsRiverRat
10-01-2012, 03:53 PM
If they are 5 years old or older, replace them whether you need to or not.

I have carlisles and no issues, but they are also only a season old.

Hogwild
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
If they are 5 years old or older, replace them whether you need to or not.

I have carlisles and no issues, but they are also only a season old.

Yeah, that's what I planned on doing. I'm not taking any chances and want to replace this offseason. I was just asking about the cracking in regards to that brand. I didn't know if what is on it was a bad brand or not.

They are 205 75/r14's in case anyone's curious.

I guess I should also say that my towing consists of only around 500 miles a year on average.

g-Dog
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I'd go with Kuhmo or Maxxis...I've heard really good things about both.

strad
10-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Yeah, that's what I planned on doing. I'm not taking any chances and want to replace this offseason. I was just asking about the cracking in regards to that brand. I didn't know if what is on it was a bad brand or not.

They are 205 75/r14's in case anyone's curious.

cracking, also called dry rot, is a normal occurrence for rubber tires that have had too much exposure to sunlight and other elements. It will happen to both best and worst brands. I'm actually not one to ask about tires b/c I bought mine new at a local store for cheap (along with brand-new steel rims). One of them happens to be a Carlisle though. I've pulled the trailer 600+ miles on them and they work fine though.

Hogwild
10-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I'd go with Kuhmo or Maxxis...I've heard really good things about both.

Yeah, I'm reading some old threads. Seems Kuhmo's, Maxxis, or the Gladiator's are the tires a lot of members have gone with. Just wondering after a season or two what their feedback is??

Also, I know nothing about tires, so what load rating should I make sure these tires have? I'm pulling a Maristar 230 on a tandem. Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I have heard of the Freestar tires but not in the good way, though I have no first hand knowledge. The cracking, as strad explained, is from exposure to the sun. Cheap tires may crack sooner due to inferior quality materials. Be that as it may, exposure to the sun is hard on all tires. That is why the RV market buys so many vinyl tire covers. It is a cheap way to ensure getting five years out of your tires. I would stay away from the dreaded Marathon, and tires you have never heard of. The price difference between a good trailer tire and a lousy trailer tire is only a few bucks. Even on a tandem axle trailer, the price difference is less than $100. I can't think of many guys that while standing on the side of the road with a flat tire that wouldn't slide their debit card through the "make this all go away machine". That being said, is a Maxxis or a Kumho a better tire than a Carlisle or a Gladiator, based on the price difference between them? I don't think so.

magnum
10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
I would stay away from the GoodYear Marathons , had a blowout this summer and replace them with Maxxis, nice looking tires and have had no problem, tire dealers said that is what he sales the most of now and no problems

Rockman
10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Why is it that when I search for tires at Discountire.com that the Kumhos in 21570R14 are not available in my zip code...tried a bunch of other zips and same message.

I need to eventually replace all 4 tires on my trailer and have had great experiences with DT for our cars and trucks.

Maybe, I just need to call over there...:confused:

cbryan70
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Why is it that when I search for tires at Discountire.com that the Kumhos in 21570R14 are not available in my zip code...tried a bunch of other zips and same message.

I need to eventually replace all 4 tires on my trailer and have had great experiences with DT for our cars and trucks.

Rockman talk to "thatsmrmastercraft" he may be able to get you a deal.

cbryan70
10-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Try zip 60123...most you need to order. Roundlake beach has 4 in stock. (847) 223-3442

crestwood has 4 in stock. (708) 597-3597

Everywhere else is special order. price is showing 85.00 each

TxsRiverRat
10-02-2012, 12:19 PM
does kumho make an ST rated tire?

Rockman
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Try zip 60123...most you need to order. Roundlake beach has 4 in stock. (847) 223-3442

crestwood has 4 in stock. (708) 597-3597

Everywhere else is special order. price is showing 85.00 each

You da man!

TxsRiverRat
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
let this serve as a warning - bad idea if they are not ST rated

Thrall
10-02-2012, 01:42 PM

D@mn, blast from the past.
My phone # growing up was 847-223-0336. Well, actually 312 area code first if that shows my age!
Back on topic.
I put on Commodore tires 3 seasons ago. They were the store brand at Big O tires. Nothing special looking but they've held up to many miles under a fat X2. I'd say about 5k miles, most of it 90-100 deg 80mph down the highway.

Hogwild
10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I have heard of the Freestar tires but not in the good way, though I have no first hand knowledge. The cracking, as strad explained, is from exposure to the sun. Cheap tires may crack sooner due to inferior quality materials. Be that as it may, exposure to the sun is hard on all tires. That is why the RV market buys so many vinyl tire covers. It is a cheap way to ensure getting five years out of your tires. I would stay away from the dreaded Marathon, and tires you have never heard of. The price difference between a good trailer tire and a lousy trailer tire is only a few bucks. Even on a tandem axle trailer, the price difference is less than $100. I can't think of many guys that while standing on the side of the road with a flat tire that wouldn't slide their debit card through the "make this all go away machine". That being said, is a Maxxis or a Kumho a better tire than a Carlisle or a Gladiator, based on the price difference between them? I don't think so.

Sent PM

thatsmrmastercraft
10-02-2012, 03:19 PM

I work with a tire shop in Chicago that you can pick up tires from. As I am from MN, there would be no sales tax in the transaction. I will PM you a price.

cbryan70
10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I work with a tire shop in Chicago that you can pick up tires from. As I am from MN, there would be no sales tax in the transaction. I will PM you a price.

it would have to be south of chicago. Worst case you could ship them to my fatherinlaws shop in Lemont. That is not a terrably long drive from his work IIRC

sp00ky
10-03-2012, 12:49 AM
does kumho make an ST rated tire?

I think ST is what we should all be putting on our trailers. Has a stronger sidewall I believe and constructed better to take the load.

TxsRiverRat
10-03-2012, 02:13 AM
I think ST is what we should all be putting on our trailers. Has a stronger sidewall I believe and constructed better to take the load.

Right but unless I'm missing something, kumho doesn't make an ST tire. When I bought my MC, the jackwagon didn't have ST rated tires on the trailer and it didn't take me long to learn when happens to street tires on a hot aust day on a texas highway...

POP!

Sodar
10-03-2012, 04:45 AM
www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857

bkblaida
10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
We travel several thousand miles per year. We used to always buy trailer tires from "car tire companies". Never had very good luck .....short life, blown sidewalls. Decided to shop where trucking companies and construction companies buy tires because who puts more miles and abuse on trailers? Think about it.....daily use, over and under weight, local and highway roads and every type of weather possible. This store recommended Gladiator trailer tires so several years ago (3 -4?) we put Gladiator tires on our PS 205 single axle and the difference is amazing. The side walls are straight and tread is squared to the sidewall, not rounded over like the Goodyear Marathons and other like tires. These tires have minimal side wall flex so the boat pulls like it's on rails. No wondering back & forth at high speeds or cross winds & handles pot holes and bumps with ease. Do not remember what we paid (I think it is in another post I wrote last year), but very affordable.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2012, 01:07 PM
www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857

Perhaps a clarification...

While not a true ST tire, it is sold as a trailer tire.

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/category/truck-suv/7EAB87AD-62DC-4D82-897E-E59335DE416C

Rockman
10-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Sweet!

Thanks!

Rockman
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
it would have to be south of chicago. Worst case you could ship them to my fatherinlaws shop in Lemont. That is not a terrably long drive from his work IIRC

Afraid to go into the city suburban boy!? :steering::uglyhamme

TxsRiverRat
10-03-2012, 01:15 PM
We travel several thousand miles per year. We used to always buy trailer tires from "car tire companies". Never had very good luck .....short life, blown sidewalls. Decided to shop where trucking companies and construction companies buy tires because who puts more miles and abuse on trailers? Think about it.....daily use, over and under weight, local and highway roads and every type of weather possible. This store recommended Gladiator trailer tires so several years ago (3 -4?) we put Gladiator tires on our PS 205 single axle and the difference is amazing. The side walls are straight and tread is squared to the sidewall, not rounded over like the Goodyear Marathons and other like tires. These tires have minimal side wall flex so the boat pulls like it's on rails. No wondering back & forth at high speeds or cross winds & handles pot holes and bumps with ease. Do not remember what we paid (I think it is in another post I wrote last year), but very affordable.

GOOD TO KNOW!

cbryan70
10-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Afraid to go into the city suburban boy!? :steering::uglyhamme
I HATE THE CITY. Im close enough to it. Your more suburban than me! Im a mile away from schaumburg

Rockman
10-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I HATE THE CITY. Im close enough to it. Your more suburban than me! Im a mile away from schaumburg

Schaumburg...that is NOT the city!

Yes, I live in the burbs now but born and raised in the city so traveling back there for me is not an issue...you gotta head down to the old neighborhood with us for some beef sandwiches and gyros!:D

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Glad to hear these are working out for you.

cbryan70
10-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Yes, I live in the burbs now but born and raised in the city so traveling back there for me is not an issue...you gotta head down to the old neighborhood with us for some beef sandwiches and gyros!:D

wheres the old neighborhood. Heck I have a portillos 2 miles from my house

Rockman
10-03-2012, 02:11 PM
wheres the old neighborhood. Heck I have a portillos 2 miles from my house

Schaumburg, now Portillos...!? :eek3:

Miss Rita
10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
...they've held up to many miles under a fat X2. I'd say about 5k miles, most of it 90-100 deg 80mph down the highway.

Why are you hauling your fat X2 80 mph in 100 degree temps? Isn't that asking for trouble?

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Why are you hauling your fat X2 80 mph in 100 degree temps? Isn't that asking for trouble?

Trailer tires are not speed rated. Just sayin'

mikeg205
10-03-2012, 11:42 PM

Thread jack... I grew up in West Englewood aka war zone 3 of chicago. Wouldn't want to go back there. 59th and south Damen...old address 5742 s. Honore. moved out in 1973.... no portillos back then...