PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Build Their Own Steel Building?

mxhideout
10-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Thought I'd throw this out here just in case anyone on here has some helpful info. We're looking to put up a steel building/pole barn. We're on a budget, so we want to get a DIY kit. Since we have the land to do it, we'd like a 60x100', and around 16' tall for a car lift if we want to get one in the future. Does anyone know where to start as far as looking for a kit? All I'm really seeing on websites is request a quote, and I'd rather not spend weeks just trying to get quotes from a dozens of sites...

mustangtexas
10-01-2012, 01:35 AM
http://www.muellerinc.com/

Steel is a product with a market based price. You'll need to get a quote for acurate pricing. Your size of choice has a span that will be risky for a DIY'er without experience.

toolz
10-01-2012, 02:24 AM
I put up a 48x72 at my last house. Borrowed a crane to set the trusses, and hired a crew to install the roof steel. Did the rest myself, with the help of a few relatives. I have two buildings now, a 40x63 and a 42x45. I shopped around and got the best price fron Cleary Buildings. It just wasn't worth the difference to do it myself, and each time the building was up in 4 days.

By the way, you don't need 16' for a car lift. I've installed over 30 of them, and 12' is all you need.

SkiDog
10-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Thought I'd throw this out here just in case anyone on here has some helpful info. We're looking to put up a steel building/pole barn. We're on a budget, so we want to get a DIY kit. Since we have the land to do it, we'd like a 60x100', and around 16' tall for a car lift if we want to get one in the future. Does anyone know where to start as far as looking for a kit? All I'm really seeing on websites is request a quote, and I'd rather not spend weeks just trying to get quotes from a dozens of sites...

I'm a steel building dealer, so my opinion may be biased. However, IMO, a 60x100x16 building is NOT a DIY project. If you want to wire & plumb it, fine, but leave the erection to the experts! Especially if you're never done anything like this. You can also get by with a 14' eve and 12' overhead doors. And i'd let a overhead door guy install those too. that way, if theres any problems down the road, they will have to take care of them. Hope this helps

medicmoose
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
leave the erection to the experts!

It never gets old!! :D

mikeg205
10-01-2012, 09:45 PM

omg...can't stop laughing....

milkmania
10-01-2012, 10:47 PM
leave the erection to the experts!

omg...can't stop laughing....

I always chuckle when I see one of these local cranes

mxhideout
10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Well if I have to get quotes from everyone, I might as well start now. I just don't want to deal with all their sales pitches and 'used car salesman' talk... If 12' is enough for a car lift, I'll probably look for 14' in case a truck lift is taller.

We're getting a bobcat this weekend for driveway work, and we'll probably have some extra hours to use up, so we'll start flattening and clearing out the area where the building will go.

I didn't see any building kits larger than 24x24 on that Mueller website. Also checked Cleary Buildings. Their 63x88' is about 34k, and IIRC, I've seen some 60x100 kits for around 27k. Just can't remember where...

mikeg205
10-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Well if I have to get quotes from everyone, I might as well start now. I just don't want to deal with all their sales pitches and 'used car salesman' talk... If 12' is enough for a car lift, I'll probably look for 14' in case a truck lift is taller.

We're getting a bobcat this weekend for driveway work, and we'll probably have some extra hours to use up, so we'll start flattening and clearing out the area where the building will go.

I didn't see any building kits larger than 24x24 on that Mueller website. Also checked Cleary Buildings. Their 63x88' is about 34k, and IIRC, I've seen some 60x100 kits for around 27k. Just can't remember where...

Good job bring the topic back on track....

mxhideout
10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
lol...

mustangtexas
10-01-2012, 11:39 PM
You'll need to call mueller. I have bought up to 80 x 350 from them in the past.

mxhideout
10-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Why don't they just have kit prices on their site... It would make things much easier.

mustangtexas
10-02-2012, 12:03 AM
The larger the building the greater the impact of current steel prices. I would find it less likely to get a "good" deal from a company that lists prices of large building on their site. Get SkiDog to give you a quote. A building your size as a kit would need engineer stamps so anyone that sells you a stamped building will be right. It then comes down to price based on size, grade of sheeting finish, details such as openings, gutters, downspouts, etc. and delivery time.

mxhideout
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Ok, well if you get a chance to PM me, SkiDog, that'd be great. We're just looking for a real simple set-up since it will just be used as a shop and storage as of right now.

milkmania
10-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Metal buildings toward bottom of page
http://www.lthsteelstructures.com/building-types/steel-homes

SkiDog
10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Ok, well if you get a chance to PM me, SkiDog, that'd be great. We're just looking for a real simple set-up since it will just be used as a shop and storage as of right now.

I'd be glad to give you a price on a building. You just need to know that different states, counties, and cities, all have different building codes. I would hate to see you spend a lot of money on a project and then have the county inspectors tell you its not done to code. Remember, you get what you pay for, no more, no less. you want a cheap building, you can buy one, but thats EXACTLY what you'll get! Make sure you buy a PRE-ENGINEERED steel building.