PDA

View Full Version : Handy custom tools

CiscoStu
09-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Thought I'd share some of the tools I used to finish winterizing... I went to Home Depot and spent $25, but it sure made everything go smoothly this year.

I have an '06 X-30 w/MCX... It has the oil drain extension hose that you run out the transom drain, then let it sllooowwwly drip out. I'm not a patient guy, and I don't like the idea of sticking anything down the dipstick tube, so I bought some fittings to attach the drain pump to the extension hose... Works great! Took about 4 minutes to pump the thing dry, and it's good to know you are draining it from the lowest point in the oil pan. Here's the fittings I bought:

And this is how it looks attached to the pump, which fits perfectly under the swim platform to pump out the oil...

I also built an air nozzle to help blow out the heater lines and other hoses... It has a quick-connect to the compressor hose that isn't shown in the pic.

Lastly, for running the boat out of water... I know theres been a LOT of debate about the bucket method, fake-a-lake, etc. When I was at the dealership, I saw them using a garden hose shoved up the intake hose inside the boat. Good enough for them, good enough for me. I built a shutoff for a garden hose with a 1.25" barb to fit into the clear hose (I needed more length, this way I can see the water), then a 1.25" barb into the water intake hose off the thru-hull. I can also use it for running the antifreeze in, I just take off the valve fitting and put the end of the clear hose in a bucket of pink stuff.

All of these materials, including the clear hose, cost less than $25 at Home Depot.

mikeg205
09-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I had to fix my fluid extractor...original piece was soft vinyl...replaced with flexible pvc tubing - like ice cube maker...just started with original size and went a bit bigger... cool ideas.. fixed my extractor for $8. have extra tubing.... left for some other ideas...

bkblaida
10-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Great ideas - we too have converted to the "suckin" the oil out of the drain hose vs. letting it drip for an hour. You are right....done in minutes.

For what it is worth................

We have had good luck using a wet/dry shopvac to "vacuum" the water out of the heater core. Apply the vacuum to both the inlet as well as outlet sides and you can be sure the unit is dry.
Used a compressor for years but was always a little cautious when I used my air compressor so I did not damage the core with too much pressure.

CiscoStu
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Good point about the shopvac for the heater hoses... I was worried about putting too much pressure in with the compressor, so I just didn't hold the hose down tight on the nozzle. That way, it wasn't a 'sealed' blow. I emptied 2 full 30Gal compressor tanks into it, just to make sure the water worked it's way through.

I did use the shopvac for the FatSac I have in the storage locker... I used the 'blow' to put a little air in the sac, then let the water run down to one drain. Then I put the 'suck' on, and sucked out all the air. It got surprisingly small that way, like bacon in the package! I was also able to help fold it down as it shrunk, so it now fits into a very small package. I put the plug on before air got back in, and it held...

I also used the shopvac to help blow air through the ballast manifold. There's a garden hose fitting on the outlet of the manifold, I removed that. Then I blew air up the water intake from the shopvac. I was surprised at how much water came out, probably at least a quart. If it helps prevent freezing a pump or manifold, I'm ahead of the game...

One more 'tool' that I don't have a picture of is the 1" combination wrench I use to remove the engine knock sensor... With the knock sensor on the plug, you need a very skinny combination wrench to be able to turn it. I have an old 'Grey Tools' wrench that is quite skinny, and I also heated it up with the torch to put a ~45Degree bend in it to work around the exhaust manifold... Works great! It used to take 15 minutes to fight that thing off, now it takes 2 minutes. I'll find a pic and post it.

Sodar
10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I've been doing the same with my fluid extractor for a while, too. Makes the oil changes quick, clean and easy.

mikeg205
10-03-2012, 05:57 PM
What's the hurry, oil change should be at least a 3-4 beer operation... just sayin'

Sodar
10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd rather have 3 or 4 beers on the water than standing in the driveway waiting for oil to dribble out! :D

JDC
10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
What's the hurry, oil change should be at least a 3-4 beer operation... just sayin':D Agreed.
Getting sidetracked 3-4 times during a job is normal, right?

mikeg205
10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I'd rather have 3 or 4 beers on the water than standing in the driveway waiting for oil to dribble out! :D

That would be a "Banzinga!":D

JohnE
10-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Every year I swear I am going to do the things you did today and never get to it. Do you run anti freeze through the heater after blowing out with an air hose? I've heard stories of some water getting trapped and freezing and cracking a coil.

mikeg205
10-03-2012, 08:00 PM
If I had a heater...I would drain, blow-out, rinse with RV/Marine AF - repeat. - but that's just me...

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2012, 11:23 PM
If I had a heater...I would drain, blow-out, rinse with RV/Marine AF - repeat. - but that's just me...

Been reading the shampoo bottle again, have you?:rolleyes:

mikeg205
10-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Been reading the shampoo bottle again, have you?:rolleyes:

at least not drinkin' from it...lol:D

thatsmrmastercraft
10-04-2012, 12:31 AM
at least not drinkin' from it...lol:D

Good point on the heater though...can't get too much A/F worked through it. :toast:

CiscoStu
10-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Every year I swear I am going to do the things you did today and never get to it. Do you run anti freeze through the heater after blowing out with an air hose? I've heard stories of some water getting trapped and freezing and cracking a coil.

Yes, ever since I cracked the heater core (3 years ago), I've been blowing it out, then running pink through. I run it on the hose to warm it up, drain everything and blow out the hoses, then run it on pink 'til it comes out the exhaust. After that, I also pull the return side of the heater hose off the valve tap to make sure pink comes out. If it does, I know the heater core is good for the winter. If clear water comes out, I run more pink through.