PDA

View Full Version : Loose steering in '10 PS 197

PS197TT
09-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Hey all,

I have noticed there is some play (slop) in the steering in my 2010 PS 197 (noticeable when boat is stationary). Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce/negate this play?

In addition to this there is also a bit of play in the steering wheel in the vertical plane which seems to be coming from the steering wheel adjustment area. Is there a way to reduce/eliminate this?...

...I am contemplating pulling apart the steering wheel adjustment region which will require freeing up the dash to get to the steering wheel crews which would be a fair task,,,and then making up a packing shim to address the play...

Has anyone dealt with this effectively in the past?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks.

mikeg205
09-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Slop left to right or in the helm? There's bolt in the assembly under the flexible cover..not sure which model you have of helm. If the bolt get loose the steering wheel be floppy... Left to right steering ok...what do you mean noticeable when stationary...does it go away when underway?

Does the rudder have play in it?

PS197TT
09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Left to right and in the helm. Thanks Mike I'll check the bolt in the helm under the flexible cover/boot. I took the rack out and noticed the slop (left to right) is not in the helm itself.

Therefore there must be play in the rack/pinion or where the steering cable is connected to the rudder arm....not sure that tightening the bolt at the rudder arm/steering cable connection will improve the situation as it doesnt look like its meant to be a tight/fixed connection.

When underway the pressure of the water against the rudder eliminates play left to right. There does not appear to be any play in the rudder itself...

mikeg205
09-30-2012, 11:39 PM
This thread may help....http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35996&highlight=steering+rack+pinion&page=2

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-01-2012, 01:02 AM
2010 model, might still be under warranty...

eurosysytem0
10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi
I have a 2005 X7 with 150 hrs. I also have play/movement in the steering wheel. It will move from circa 5 mins to the hour to 5 mins past without any rudder movement. You mention a bolt and cover at the helm. Is there anything at the steering wheel end and if yes, how do you get at it?

eurosysytem0
10-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Any help with my question above?

PS197TT
10-10-2012, 11:44 PM
I have unbolted the complete helm and removed it. As I see it, this movement is occuring inside the universal joint where the shaft from the pinion end meets the back of the steering wheel spline. There a two shoes inside the universal joint that appear to have a fair amount of play in them. I have made up some shimms to try and reduce this movement but it does not appear to be having a great effect. I have seen better designs. I am quite disappointed in the type of flawes I am finding in this Mastercraft which is just 2 years old! The steering flawes all appear to be associated with Teleflex steering products. From the steering cable that is a sealed unit and cannot be accessed to clean & grease properly, through to the slop in the steering, both vertically and laterally.

I service and maintain the boat regularly and treat it with great care.

For 73k one would expect none of these issues!