PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Pro Star 205 questions

pstr205
09-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi all,

First of all great site... Second, I am a new Mastercraft owner after 10 plus years of the following great boats... 1985 SN 2001, 1988 SN 2001, 1989 Barefoot Nautique. Anyway, the Prostar 205 is a great boat, I always thought they were the only equal to Correct Craft and after running this boat I was right.

Here are my 2 questions...

1. If I am at any throttle past idle and I let go of the throttle lever it goes back to idle, this is a real problem when trying to pull someone...is this boat made that way? What is causing this?

2. If I let go of the stearing wheel it will turn right. Is this normal? The steering in this boat is the smoothest I have ever felt in a boat.

Thanks for any input..

Mike

stevo137
09-06-2005, 11:21 AM
WELCOME TO MC MIKE!
Great boat you have there.

(1)There is a spring that retracts the throttle for safety.
It can be removed but it could affect idle and would circumvent MC's safety design.

(2) The pull to the right is normal.
I'm sure you have also noticed that MC's go right in reverse as opposed to CC's going to the left.

G-man
09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
The spring can be taken off easily, it is on the left side of the carb. The best money you can spend on your boat would be to install perfect pass. Then you won't worry about the throttle anymore.You will your spring back on for it to work correctly. The pulling to the right will help you drive in straight line if your pulling a slalom skier.

east tx skier
09-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Welcome, Mike. George and Steve are right on both counts.

The pull is most likely due to a filed trailing edge on your rudder. This mod helps maintain a consistent pull through the course. Once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

More on the throttle return spring. It is just aft of the throttle plate on the port side of the carburetor. If it's anything like mine, it is about as tense as a brake spring. I wouldn't suggest removing it as its purpose is to retract the throttle if the cable brakes. I replaced mine with a less tense return spring for about $.30 and problem solved. You can also stretch it out a bit to achieve the same results.

Now let's see some pictures of that boat.

sizzler
09-06-2005, 11:34 AM
!!!!!! thread jack!!!!!!!

hey eastie,,when did you go platinum????

east tx skier
09-06-2005, 11:44 AM
... at 8,000 apparently.

pstr205
09-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys for the replys... That really helps.

East TX Skier, I will post pics when I can get the time to take some, I have all ages of kids and they take most of my time away from work..HA!!!!!

Mike

Tennesseeski
09-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the board. I have the same boat and you are right about it being great. Several answers to your questions already and I agree with them. You will get use to the pull to the right after awhile. I don't even notice mine anymore.