PDA

View Full Version : Next project-Fix the fuel gauge

BradD
09-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Apparently sticking a rod down into the gas tank isn't entirely accurate.

BradD
09-06-2005, 09:44 AM
At least a Mastercraft pulled me home. A Bayliner had passed by and I acted like nothing was wrong.

ski_king
09-06-2005, 09:53 AM
;) Apparently sticking a rod down into the gas tank isn't entirely accurate.
Well, it has to be more accurate than any other type of gauge. Remember gas is required to run

I pulled in a Bayliner this weekend. Then I fixed it.

BradD
09-06-2005, 02:19 PM
The stick showed 3 inches of fuel in the tank. Does the tank have any depressed areas that I might the stick might be getting into?

SteveO
09-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Surf, sorry to see the oar out! On a different subject, it appears you have been holding out on swimsuit thread, assuming the subject in the back of the picture is your wife.

BradD
09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks SteveO. I'm quite blessed. Especially considering she's the mother of 5.
I've posted a couple pics...it's difficult to get a camera in front of her. She'd kill me if she knew i had posted any.

milkmania
09-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Dude!
Is she fishing back there?!?!?!?:eek3:

there's depressions all over my gas tank!:cry:

bcampbe7
09-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your trouble Brad.
I am wondering if the fuel pickup is not all the way in the bottom of the tank. Was the boat in the water when you did the stick test? Could the boat have been leaning to one side?

Also, who was the wise guy/girl taking the picture rather than helping you row?!?

milkmania
09-06-2005, 02:49 PM
I've been in that position, before straddling the bow....(bad kill switch)

be thankful you had the open bow to get to the front.... they don't paddle backwards worth a dang!:rant:

that still look like a "fishing stance" in the top pic:popcorn:

BradD
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
"Also, who was the wise guy/girl taking the picture rather than helping you row?!?"

Great Point!! That pic was taken by my mother in-law. You should have seen it when I came around the corner. All my so called friends and relatives were scrambling for their video cameras and digitals...oh yeah, let's all have a good laugh at Brad's misfortune.
What made it so funny is my mother in-law had just gotten out of the boat when i revealed that i really didn't know how accurate my gas readings were. I was going to stop for the day, but my son had just learned to slalom and he wanted to go again. I'm never going to say no to that.

east tx skier
09-06-2005, 03:35 PM
ISW, check the fuel sender. If you're handy, you can probably fix it. If not, a new one is $70 or so plus install.

Kevin 89MC
09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I found out the hard way that when there is a little less than 1/4 tank of gas when looking at the tank, it is essentially empty! My gauge hasn't worked for a while. I can pull my back seat, remove the rear panel, and see through the tank at the level of gas. The first time my gauge quit, I looked and saw about 1/4 tank, and then proceeded to run out of gas. Thankfully I was close to the dock. There was probably 2" of gas still in the tank at that point. I then put 20 gallons in, the most I think I've put in that tank. No matter where the pickup is, I can see that it's pretty easy for the pickup to get starved of fuel with all the tilting on cornering, planing, power turns :D , etc.
Kevin

BradD
09-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks Kevin.
East, I had the dealership check the sending unit. They ruled that out. They also ruled out the gauge itself. They felt the melted wires behind the dash might be the culprit...$80 later the gauge still doesn't work. They say it must be the wire from the dash to the sending unit...another winter project.