PDA

View Full Version : Power Slide

Dallas_Pechas
09-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Lots of people ask me if I've ever done a power slide with my 2002 X-7. I haven't, and while I know the general method, I'm not sure of the details and pitfalls. Any helpful hints? I'm sure there are some who will flat-out say, "Don't do it", right?

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I always heard that too many of them will throw the engine / tranny alignment out of wack.

We do Around the Boats all day long though & the alignment has never been very far off. Their not nearly as violent as a powerslide though.

sfitzgerald351
09-01-2004, 09:31 PM
What the heck is a powerslide? As opposed to an "all around the boat"?

MarkP
09-01-2004, 10:22 PM
what the heck is an all around the boat

T Scott
09-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Powerslide-Get the boat up to top speed and then bring the boat just barely in gear while turning the wheel quickly to the right. The boat will "Slide" (Hence powerslide) or spin 180 degrees like a jet ski. Can be dangerous if people aren't hanging on or things go flying. Be careful!!

Around the boat-Old show ski trick where the skier skis literally "around the boat" It is more of a driver trick than a skier trick. Skier pulls out to the right, boat cuts slightly to the left getting the skier on a whip. The boat then turns hard right (this is the dangerous part) Towards the skier! The ski rope slides over the windshield and the skier maintains outward pull and comes back around behind boat. This is very dangerous and should not be tried "just for fun". Quick way to end a weekend with a friend in the hospital. Get training from a show ski driver if you want to give this a try.

sfitzgerald351
09-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Ahhhh,

We used to call powerslides "BowDos" (sp?). I never thought about throwing the engine/tranny out of whack, but was more worried about swamping the boat as you could either take a large amount over the side sometimes or stuff the nose.

As for the 'around the boats' it's cool, but it's a stupid human trick I probably don't need to try (and I love studpid human tricks --> Like underwater planking behind the boat, or towing/surfing with whitewater kayaks).

T Scott
09-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Boat-O's, whip turns and powerslides are the common names for spinning the boat 180 degrees.

Michael Epp
09-01-2004, 11:41 PM
The salesman did this in the X-10 that we test drove last fall. I've read that it's not great for the boat. I've not tried this in my X-10 and I don't think I will.

ShawnE
09-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Back in '69-'70 my cousin was with the Eau Claire Ski Sprites.They did what was called "crack the whip", with 2 guys going around the boat together. They did it behind an 18'' aluminum Starcraft with a 115hp inline 6 Merc.

"Chap", my cousin, and "Showboat", Dan S. who was also the kite flyer were performing the stunt at a show and the force of both of them pulling actually lifted and slid the boat towards them, causing a terrible fall.

Chap still has the back half of Showboats' ski and Showboat has the piece of fin that nearly severed his elbow!....The Good Ole Days

MarkL
09-02-2004, 12:06 AM
I did one last year and snapped the drive shaft losing the prop. The shaft had a crack in it and some corrosion, though. $850 later, I'm still doing them, just a bit more cautious.

lakes Rick
09-02-2004, 12:11 AM
The Tristars and Maristars won't do one.. The Tristar tries but was never like the prostars ( and other makes) I have seen and was in..

OH and my dealer called them "bat turns".......

stevo137
09-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Rick, my Tristar would do it. You had to be going about 30-40 mph and turn hard, then cut down on the throttle because the boat would cavitate and the prop would really scream if you didn't. That Tristar would do great doughnuts, not to mention everyone in the back seat getting a wet a**. (If the new owner is reading this, I only tried it once!) :D

scott88prostar
09-02-2004, 12:34 AM
We call em bat turns too....good way to wreck your boat, kill your kids,spill your drinks, lose your sunglasses.... But they are fun!....I dont do it anymore....one friends boat has stress cracks all over the side cause he does em all the time...another one snapped his steering....so be careful!! :eek3:

stevo137
09-02-2004, 03:34 AM
I have retired the power turn. I just tell people it can do it if they ask. Not only that, the Prostar turns like it is on a rail and turns to sharp and fast. Don't wan't to chance it with people in the boat. I tried one when I was alone one time. That was enough for me!

erkoehler
09-02-2004, 03:46 AM
So, is there only harm in the power turns, and not the 360 around the boat? Or does it go both ways.

Once I have my boat, I know I am going to have to do it atleast once! And I am definetly sling shotting my brother around the boat!

AirJunky
09-02-2004, 04:53 AM
Around the Boats are a blast. We do them riding Sky Skis behind my '94 205 all the time. It's weighted down for a bigger wake so it doesn't slide out as much, which gives the driver a lot more control & makes the boat feel like it's on rails. Plus the boat has a tower so it's easier to get the rope over the bow. But T Scott is right.... it can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing. We've eaten a few ropes over the years.

Couple of variations:
Double Around the boat, one skier goes one way, the other skier goes the other way, meet on the other side & never cross the ropes. We've had about 4 different foil riders who could do this one. Saw a team attempt a triple on skis once but they didn't pull it off.

Or Around the boat & back..... boat does one 180, then immediately does another. Skier has to ski around once, then about 1/2 way around the second time. Looks like controlled chaos! I was taught how to do this one & pulled it off once & once only.

bfinley
09-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Can you do a powerslide to the left??

stevo137
09-02-2004, 10:04 AM
To the left is how I did it.

jimmer2880
09-02-2004, 10:14 AM
I used to be the rider in what you called the "Or Around the boat & back"... only we had limited room to do it, so we had to use a 50' rope. We couldn't get the skier to not loose too much speed on the short rope, so I rode the early model wakeboard (skurfer).... We figured I was hitting 60-70mph at the peak of the whip on a WAKEBOARD! What a rush!

The 180 around the boats are fun, but the back again (so you end up going the same direction you were when you started) is the poop. That rope whips across the windshield so quick... talk about ZING!

ohh yea - power-slides are very hard on the rudder... don't do too many. 2 years ago a buddy's rudder fell out after he did 1 too many. Try driving that one home with the boat sinking very quickly!:friday:

bcampbe7
09-02-2004, 10:25 AM
This being my first boat, I don't think I will be doing any powerslides anytime soon...

NeilM
09-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Anybody got a video of an 'around the boat'?

MarkP
09-02-2004, 10:33 AM
I never thought of that Neil.. Good Idea <light bulb>

scott88prostar
09-02-2004, 10:59 AM
mmm.....brother-in-law....and a bat turn....mmm mother-in-law and a bat turn.....them flying around, water comming in the back........think Im going to have the all the in-laws to the lake! :rolleyes: ....thanks erk....never thought of it that way!

east tx skier
09-02-2004, 12:03 PM
With the older prostars, you don't need to be going full speed to power slide. I'd be leary of it at WOT anyway. Don't do it much, but it's fun for a larf.

lakes Rick
09-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Rick, my Tristar would do it. You had to be going about 30-40 mph and turn hard, then cut down on the throttle because the boat would cavitate and the prop would really scream if you didn't. That Tristar would do great doughnuts, not to mention everyone in the back seat getting a wet a**. (If the new owner is reading this, I only tried it once!) :D

Stevo, after doing a couple in my old Tristar, and then doing some in my friends 90 Supra there was no comparison.. His just did them, while the tristar really had to work at them.....

AirJunky
09-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Anybody got a video of an 'around the boat'?

We've tried to take pics & video of one but it's hard to get a wide enough angle shot that you get the rider(s) & the boat all in the frame.

I have always thought that it would be too cool to shoot the video from up high on a bridge looking down on it below. That view would show the driver giving the whip, then the path the skier has to take to pull it off. Still have to find a bridge high enough & that allows a boat to pass underneath at speed.

The really weird shot is from inside the boat!!

phecksel
09-02-2004, 01:17 PM
We have videos from the ski show, have to see if I can get a copy of the around the boat.

My tristar did powerslides very well.

jimmer2880
09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
we used to have a couple video's from the shows, but I never did personally get one. Doubt I could find one anymore.... sorry.