PDA

View Full Version : Block drains

footlock
09-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I've owned my 92 prostar 205 for five days, and I'm working on the winterization procedure. I've found the manifold drains and the exhaust muffler(?) drain for sure. I think I've found the engine block drains, but there is one issue. On the port side, there is what looks like a drain plug, or petcock, as is described in the manual. On the starboard side, directly opposite from the petcock on the port, there is a threaded hole but no plug. These are the only things that I have found that could be plugs. They are on a vertical surface towards the aft of the engine.
My question is, if these are the drain plugs, and one of the holes was missing the plug, how much water would come shooting out of the hole when the engine is running?

I've only run the boat for one day, so it's possible the bilge pump kept up with the leakage and I just didn't notice it. And, I haven't run the boat out of the water with the intake hose in a bucket to check. Any thoughts? Does my description of the location sound right to be the block drain holes?

mikeg205
09-26-2012, 08:15 PM
got to be thankful for the bilge pump :).... how much water? a lot would come out - but the bilge pump should handle that...if your pump was off it would have started coming above the floor...

description sounds right. 2 at end of each riser - 1 at each side of block...drain plug on transmission cooler - engine side - s/b a 3/8's nut.

I drain and then plug and run RV anti-freeze thru system....let about 5 gallons run thru...when the anti freeze starts flowing I start fogging thru TBI.

Let it sit for a few hours drain...store dry block...

madcityskier
09-26-2012, 08:23 PM
I leave the antifreeze in. Not gonna hurt anything, and I like the anticorrosive aspect. Can't hurt, might as well leave it.

ricford
09-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Mine's a 96. The starboard plug on mine is also the knock sensor. You remove the wire harness (squeeze and pull) then unthread the knock sensor. Not sure if your engine has that or not. Mine also has a threaded hole that looks like it should have something in it but doesn't. No leaks from it though.

mikeg205
09-26-2012, 09:28 PM
IIRC 92 was carbed....maybe not used...have to leave it for the experts...

mikeg205
09-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I leave the antifreeze in. Not gonna hurt anything, and I like the anticorrosive aspect. Can't hurt, might as well leave it.

Hey mad...you think the anti-corrosive in the RV antifreeze helps? It cost so little per gallon...Mine gets a non-freezing garage...wonder if it really helps.

JimN
09-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I've owned my 92 prostar 205 for five days, and I'm working on the winterization procedure. I've found the manifold drains and the exhaust muffler(?) drain for sure. I think I've found the engine block drains, but there is one issue. On the port side, there is what looks like a drain plug, or petcock, as is described in the manual. On the starboard side, directly opposite from the petcock on the port, there is a threaded hole but no plug. These are the only things that I have found that could be plugs. They are on a vertical surface towards the aft of the engine.
My question is, if these are the drain plugs, and one of the holes was missing the plug, how much water would come shooting out of the hole when the engine is running?

I've only run the boat for one day, so it's possible the bilge pump kept up with the leakage and I just didn't notice it. And, I haven't run the boat out of the water with the intake hose in a bucket to check. Any thoughts? Does my description of the location sound right to be the block drain holes?

One hole is close to the front of the engine and the other is closer to the rear, right? On a Ford engine, they won't be centered, like they are on a Chevy engine. Stick something into the threaded hole and see if it's clogged with debris, or if some of the old plug is still in the hole. If it is, you can drill it out and tap the hole, one size larger.

If the hole is open and you run it, you'll definitely see water come out. If not, make sure the water jacket isn't full of sand, silt, etc.

web
09-26-2012, 10:34 PM
On my '91, the starboard side plug is more towards the front of the engine; it is not opposite the port-side plug.

madcityskier
09-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Not sure that it helps, but still believe it can't hurt. I have noticed that things around the lake tend to rust faster if they're wet/dry/wet/dry than if they just stay wet. Keeping the block full can't hurt, and even minor anticorrosive properties must help to at least some degree.
Then again, I could be doing it all wrong. It's worked this long, so I think I'm gonna stick with it.
How late you planning to push the season down south?

Lumbergh
09-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Not totally clear on the 205, but on the 190 of that vintage the right/starboard side block drain is the shower hose towards the front of the block.

I also removed the old, sticky, corroded port-side petcock and used a new 1/4 NPT brass plug in its place. Very easy to remove with wrench.

east tx skier
09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
One hole is close to the front of the engine and the other is closer to the rear, right? On a Ford engine, they won't be centered, like they are on a Chevy engine. Stick something into the threaded hole and see if it's clogged with debris, or if some of the old plug is still in the hole. If it is, you can drill it out and tap the hole, one size larger.

If the hole is open and you run it, you'll definitely see water come out. If not, make sure the water jacket isn't full of sand, silt, etc.

The starboard engine block drain plug is definitely closer to the front of the engine. Also, don't rely on the petcocks. Unscrew the plugs. I would recommend replacing them with regular brass plugs. 3/4" NPT for the mainfold drains; 1/4" NPT for the block drains. Use teflon tape to seal and make removal easier.

footlock
09-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I removed the port side petcock, and it was definitely the block drain on that side.
The starboard side hole that I saw is a smaller size, and from some of these posts, I'm thinking that the connection I see towards the front of the starboard side is the block drain. I think I'll loosen it and see what comes out. More to follow shortly.

footlock
09-27-2012, 08:14 PM
That was it! The starboard side drain is on the forward part of the engine. The threaded hole that I thought was the drain must be something else. So at this point, I have successfully removed all five drain plugs, so I can start the winterization process. Thanks for the help.

footlock
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM
To east tx skier,
Those pictures are right on. I wonder why something that clear is not included in the manual.
Thanks for the help with this.

mcparadise
09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
FWIW, I installed the easy drain set from skidim (link below). A little expensive, but nice product and they work well using clear tubing run to a bucket sitting under the bildge drain plug opening.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1044