PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Slipping

bfinley
09-05-2005, 09:25 PM
While boating this weekend, I noticed my transmission slipping a couple times during very sharp turns.

I'm not actually 100% sure it slipped, it could have been cavitation, but I really think it was a slip.

What can I do, is there any thing I can check to see how much time I have left on this transmission. I am farily mechanical, but have no experience with transmissions. Obviously this would be a winter project.

Thanks for any advice.

Brandon

BradD
09-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I had a slight leak and experienced the same thing. Look for pinkish fluid in your bilge.
While your engine is warm, check your fluid. If it's low it will slip. When I added fluid the slipping stopped. I had the leak fixed, now I've been slippage free.

McFire
09-05-2005, 09:35 PM
isurfwaikiki - Where was the leak and how did you fix it? What kind of cost or effort was involved? I may be having the same issue with my '94 Prostar. I do have some type of oil in the bilge, but can't tell specifically what it is. Thanks

BriEOD
09-05-2005, 09:47 PM
If your leaking transmission fluid it's most likely from one of the two hoses that run from your transmission to the transmission cooler and back. The hoses can develop kinks, nicks, tears and leak the fluid out. If you are leaking fluid it would have a reddish color to it. I would suggest you inspect these hoses not running and running. I had to replace one hose this year. Also, make sure you check the fluid level frequently.

redmike
09-05-2005, 11:59 PM
BF, check tranny fluid, look at it/smell it, it should be red, and not smell burned. Hopefully, all is well, and you are just cavitating!

Kevin 89MC
09-07-2005, 12:32 PM
My trans started slipping a bit about 7-8 yrs ago. Took it to the dealer, I think he found that some fluid leaked out where the shift linkage entered the transmission. Another place to check. We did not see fluid in the bilge, I don't think it takes much leakage to cause problems. When they get low on fluid, they slip, and then warp clutch plates. New seal at linkage, new clutch plates, new fluid, and it's worked great ever sense. Can't remember what the repair bill was. That was the last time it's been in for mechanical issues-I've been lucky!
Good luck,
Kevin

BradD
09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
isurfwaikiki - Where was the leak and how did you fix it? What kind of cost or effort was involved? I may be having the same issue with my '94 Prostar. I do have some type of oil in the bilge, but can't tell specifically what it is. Thanks

Initially my dealer said it was either a $50 problem or $300 problem. Of course it turned out to be the $300 problem. I believe it was a seal in the tranny itself. I know they had to take of the exhaust and drive shaft to get to it. And in taking off my 13 year old exhaust, it got trashed, so i added a new $400 exhaust system.
No tranny problems since.

The fluid leak was so pinkish it was very obvious tranny fluid.

Ski-A-Rees
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Check your tranny fluid! Mine started to do it and It was because it was low. On that note, check for leaks or fluid dripping.

bfinley
09-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Not sure if this is good or bad, but I'm not losing any tranny fluid.