PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing

Flatwaterfooter
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
First year with MCX is it best to dry block or run antifreeze into the block. Used to always dryblock the old LT-1 never had a problem. Also any tips on winterizing heater and shower

east tx skier
09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
I recall most people dry blocking the LT-1 because the aluminum didn't play well with RV antifreeze (memory fades). In my opinion, if you drain the block and tow it around for a while to assure that you have gotten the water out of the nooks and crannies, you will be fine as far as freeze protection goes. However, filling the block with antifreeze does offer some corrosion inhibition and is a cheap thing to do. But if you use RV antifreeze, be sure to drain your block first. It's not meant to be mixed with water.

I don't have a heater or a shower.

Jerseydave
09-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Remove the hot water hose for the shower from the engine block and cap the barbed fitting with a rubber cap and clamp. Close both mixing valves for the shower.

Run the engine on the hose until hot then drain water from block, then I take 4 gals of purple -50 marine A/F and let the engine suck that up.

Insert red hot water shower hose into pink RV anti-freeze, open hot mixing valve and turn on shower until pink liquid comes out of the shower head. Done.

For heater, I remove both hoses from the engine. Blow into one hose with your mouth and watch water come out of the other hose. Then with a funnel pour pink anti-freeze into one hose so it works it's way into heater core. Pour more into the other hose and you should be good to go.