PDA

View Full Version : New Detailing Toy...Griot's 6" Random Orbital

Patrick Hardy
09-25-2012, 09:27 PM
As discussed in another thread I posted today, the last four months I could not do much with my boat. Last weekend I got to test out the new toy that my wife bought me last April. It is a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital detailing tool. It has a Powerful 7-Amp, 850-Watt Motor and runs 2,500 - 6,800 Orbits Per Minute. I used it with their 6" Orange Foam Polish Pad and the 6" Red Foam Wax Pad. I had some areas with heavy oxidation and some with little to no oxidation.

I started with cleaning the hull with StarBrite, a good wash then dry. I then took off the hard water spots and the old wax with a water/ vinegar mixture. I then started with 3M Marine Rubbing compound and the 6" Orange Foam Polish Pad. I applied one application of compound. Then I applied two applications of 3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze with the 6" Orange Foam Polish Pad. I finished it up one application of 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax with the 6" Red Foam Wax Pad. From start to finish it was about twelve hours spread over two days. I have not detailed a boat in awhile and the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital detailing tool weighs about 7.5 pounds. Man my arms were tired! In my first photos you can see the boat oxidation. Then after the 3M Rubbing Compound, then the 3M Finesse-it II Glaze and finally after the 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax.

I am impressed with both the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital detailing tool and the 3M Marine products. I was skeptical of using only a Random Orbital on the heavy oxidation, but it worked great. I am sure after one or two more times with the Rubbing Compound and Glaze, the oxidation will be completely removed. I would high recommend the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital detailing tool to anyone looking for a top Random Orbital machine. I give it two thumbs up.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Looks great

cwarndahl
09-25-2012, 10:26 PM
man that looks awesome. its like a new boat. thats 12 hours of hard work well spent. im gonna look into that polisher you got.

onewheat
09-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I have been using one of their polishers for years - LOVE IT! This past year I bough one of their small ones (2" I think) and it is great for smaller areas and motorcycles and things. Griots has great products. I use their Speed Shine to wipe down the boat all the time and their polishes, etc.

cdh11
09-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Awesome job, that is my winter project. I have a porter cable random orbital on the way. I hope that it works as well as yours!

Sullivan
09-26-2012, 03:21 AM
I've had one for about 4 years and I love it. Good stuff.

orbeamlb
09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice work! Having the right tools for the job makes it so much easier.

Phntmski
09-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Very nice job!

Forrest-X45
09-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Looks great, nice work!! I use my Griot's random orbital all the time. It is an awesome machine and the foam pads make it stupid simple to use. You can't screw it up.