PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to restore ios5 on my iphone 4 from ios6

gts-20
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I know this is a long shot. But I'm hoping someone in here might be an apple genius.

I updated my iphone 4 to the new ios6 last night. Now nothing works right. My streaming bluetooth audio no longer works in my truck. My nav apps no longer work. Apple says there is no way to go back to ios5, and that it's my fault for updating the phone.

Does anyone know if there is a way to go back to ios5.1.1?

gatorguy
09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
my wife did the same thing automatically. Now she's sorry too. My update is set on manual, and I don't plan to update. Good luck to you.

ski_king
09-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I updated my iPhone 4 also last Wednesday. My phone does seem slightly slower and has locked up a time or 2. I wish I had left it at ios5..........

My guess there will be an update coming that should correct this, but then again if they don't they may think we may be forced to upgrade to a new phone. If I upgrade, it may be a Samsung.

Sodar
09-25-2012, 01:36 PM
That's weird. My iPhone4 worked great with iOS6... even in my truck.

You can totally downgrade. Do a few google searches to get the iOS5 file and install. I'd look for you myself, but am on my way to a meeting.

ski_king
09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Looks like if you did not upgrade iTunes to 10.7, you may be in luck. You can try it and let me know how it works.

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_downgrade_back_ios_5

gts-20
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I have not ugraded the itunes yet. I have read a few stories saying that even with the old 10.7 itunes, you get an error message and are not able to get back to ios5. I'll let you know if it works.

Sodar. I have a Pioneer head unit in my truck. I bought it two months ago, specificly to be able to stream bluetooth audio, and use the navigation app from my iphone. It worked great till the ios6 update. Pioneer says that apple changed the software so that it will no longer work with the pioneer. So now I have a worthless phone and worthless head unit.

BrooksfamX2
09-25-2012, 02:01 PM
That's weird. My iPhone4 worked great with iOS6... even in my truck................

Mine works fine also.

ShawnB
09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Here's a cold hard fact about Apple. Once you upgrade to the latest version it's no longer possible to go back. There are exceptions to this rule but it would only apply if you had previously jailbroken your phone and saved some information off the device in the past.

gts-20
09-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Here's a cold hard fact about Apple. Once you upgrade to the latest version it's no longer possible to go back. There are exceptions to this rule but it would only apply if you had previously jailbroken your phone and saved some information off the device in the past.

Nooooo.....that's not what I needed to hear....but it is what I expected, after Talking to Apple and Pioneer. I guess I either need a new stereo head unit and/or another phone. Maybe I can find someone with a 4/4S that hasn't been updated to ios6 yet that wants to sell it. Pioneer said as of right now, none of their line up of dvd/nav receivers is compatible with ios6.

ShawnB
09-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Maybe I can find someone with a 4/4S that hasn't been updated to ios6 yet that wants to sell it.

This could be your best bet. Luckily there are plenty of lazy iPhone users out there. Some of the salespeople I support still have iOS 3.2 on their iPads.

Wired_Right
09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-4d4JYnm7A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wired_Right
09-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Jailbreak iOS 6

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-6-iphone-and-ipod-touch-a4-based-only-using-redsn0w-tutorial/

tr6coug
09-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Apple is not signing 5.1.1 anymore, so you won't be able to downgrade.

jafo9
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
mine acted real funny for a while (several hours) and then started working fine after the update to OS6. almost like it was still working on the install after it said it was done. maybe give it some time?

JBrew
10-01-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_downgrade_back_ios_5

not sure if you ever worked this out...

gts-20
10-01-2012, 06:56 PM
No, I havn't been able to get it sorted out.

Apple told me it was Verizon's problem, Verizon told me it was Apple's problem. I have tried every way I possible to get the phone back to IOS 5.1.1, but everything has failed. The guy at the Apple store offered to exchange the phone under warranty, but said all of the phones they have to exchange have already been updated to 6.0. I'm screwed. I either have to buy a used phone from Craigslist that hasn't been updated (cheapest I found was $200), or wait to see if Apple decides to fix all the 6.0 issues with a 6.0.1 update. I was a very happy Apple customer until this. Now, not so much......

dmayer84
10-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Google to download iOS 5.1 then put phone in restore modems hold control when selecting to restore from backup and select the iOS 5.1 file

gts-20
10-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Tried it. Didn't work.

milkmania
10-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Jailbreak iOS 6

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-6-iphone-and-ipod-touch-a4-based-only-using-redsn0w-tutorial/

waiting for the Jailbreak for iOS6 on 4S :(

CruisinGA
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
No, I havn't been able to get it sorted out.

Apple told me it was Verizon's problem, Verizon told me it was Apple's problem. I have tried every way I possible to get the phone back to IOS 5.1.1, but everything has failed. The guy at the Apple store offered to exchange the phone under warranty, but said all of the phones they have to exchange have already been updated to 6.0. I'm screwed. I either have to buy a used phone from Craigslist that hasn't been updated (cheapest I found was $200), or wait to see if Apple decides to fix all the 6.0 issues with a 6.0.1 update. I was a very happy Apple customer until this. Now, not so much......

Why didn't you just exchange and see if the one from the store is better? I don't think everyone who has updated to 6.0 has the same problems as you...

milkmania
12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Any luck restoring back to iOS 5?

Got this in an email today....
http://ihelpjailbreak.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-6-to-511.html?m=1