PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit

carlsonwa
09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for a first aid kit. I am looking to pick one up to keep in the boat and/or truck.

Last night went to launch the boat and cut my foot pretty good on the ramp concrete blocks. But since the water was already like 60 degrees the bleeding stopped, with some electrical tape and I still waterskied before heading home!!

Was looking at the kits on Overton's, I suppsed Walmart would work as well. Just want a nice kit that will stay dry.

I would have searched for "first aid kit" but of course the search engine doesn't work with the "common" "short" words...

Thrall
09-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I'd just get you a little waterproof container or Ziplock bags and make your own. IMO most small first aid kits aren't the greatest and have cheap components (like crappy plastic bandaids). Different vehicles/activites/conditions are going to require different items.
For instance, the kit I carry in my pack snowmobiling doesn't need ice packs or bee sting stuff, but DOES require heavy duty pain killers should something major happen in the back country.
All the kits have quality band aids that actually work and stay on. (Not that there's anything wrong with using the corner of your shirt and some elect tape!).
All the FA kits I have, have way more large gauze pads than what is normally in a little kit. I don't care about the scufs and scratches, I want something that will stop some bleedin!
And add some super glue to the kit. Works as good as stitiches almost when needed.

gweaver
09-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I bought a couple of FA kits from REI when I worked there. Yeah, some of the stuff wasn't appropriate for the activities I was doing, but I just supplemented with what I knew I'd need. making your own is a good idea, but buying a ready-made kit at least gets the ball rolling. Plus, most of them come with a small booklet explaining how to treat certain wound types.
Always a useful thing to have.
G

helton333
09-25-2012, 05:48 PM
go to a state farm agent and ask them if they have any - I am one in TN, we have several really good ones (like waterproof outer soft shell case and water proof band aids - just for example) - sure he would be glad to get you one off the company catalog.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
These are cheap at wallyworld. I have one in all vehicles and boats.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Johnson-s-All-Purpose-First-Aid-Kit-1ct/16608890

mikeg205
09-25-2012, 10:55 PM
duct tape is all you need and a pair of needle nose pliers... :D +1 ^^^

ski_king
09-25-2012, 11:11 PM
duct tape is all you need and a pair of needle nose pliers... :D +1 ^^^

Funny you should say that. I cut myself pretty bad last weekend when I took my dock out. Fixed myself up with duct tape and a wet nap.

I would just make one with some band aids of various size, neosporen, some gauze, dizzied and of course duct tape.

east tx skier
09-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Don't forget some tampons to pack large wounds and duck tape to hold them to wet skin.

Check the FAQ for a community compiled list.

First Aid Kit (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=186936&postcount=39)

web
09-26-2012, 12:03 PM
An infant-size diaper is another choice that works well for large wounds.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
3M Coban is a must for any first aid kit. Waterproof, self adhering and somewhat elastic, it performs way better than duct tape. Not to mention that it is a little cleaner. Plus you can color match it to your boat.

mzimme
09-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Man, I'd hate to be the guy that gets made fun of the rest of his life for packing his wound with a tampon... ;)

mikeg205
09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Man, I'd hate to be the guy that gets made fun of the rest of his life for packing his wound with a tampon... ;)

Better than bein' the guy who bled out... just sayin' ;)

mzimme
09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Better than bein' the guy who bled out... just sayin' ;)

Is it?? Death by something badass sounds way cooler than life by tampon. 8p

joyner1020
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
My lady made our first-aid kit for the boat and she threw a couple tampons in for the JUST IN CASE files .....WELL ...... They came in handy last year in my Bayliner with WHITE vinyl ..! One of the HOTTEST friends that my old lady has was in the back seat and when she got up to get in the water ....YEAH :cry: Bloody mess on the white Vinyl... Soooooo Yeah keep a couple in there , because u never know whos gonna / or how they are gonna bleed in or on your boat !!! Long Story short I did the right thing and took the girl over to the marina where she could take care of business ..NO I DIDNT THROW HER OVERBOARD .. She was very embarrassed to start with so I didnt want to make it worse ...

PS :: I will never look at this smokin chick the same ever again .. I know this is something that she couldnt control , but DANG , I thought they " Knew when to put the plug in the boat " .. SO to Speak

Sorry for the Tampon Story ... Just had to tell Somebody !! Ive had it "PLUGGED" up in my brain since last year ...

mikeg205
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Is it?? Death by something badass sounds way cooler than life by tampon. 8p

lmao....

maristardd
09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
I grabbed something last minute from West Marine earlier this season. I did like how stuff was parceled out into 6 or so waterproof (ziplock) bags inside the kit. I think that will do a better job of keeping stuff dry than depending on the case.

JohnnyB
09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
3M Coban is a must for any first aid kit. Waterproof, self adhering and somewhat elastic, it performs way better than duct tape. Not to mention that it is a little cleaner. Plus you can color match it to your boat.

Cheaper if you buy it in the equestrian dept at your local farm store :D

Ditto on super glue !!
Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

thatsmrmastercraft
09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Cheaper if you buy it in the equestrian dept at your local farm store :D

Ditto on super glue !!
Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Same stuff indeed, but I have access to the 3M company store.

mikeg205
09-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Yeah but can you fix a popped hose with that....boat needs first aid too...why carry both...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: