PDA

View Full Version : Labour Day

sizzler
09-05-2005, 12:28 PM
why are you all not out skiing??????

its a holiday ,right???? :confused:

Leroy
09-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Sore from yesterday, took bike ride this morning, will go out again late today.

sizzler
09-05-2005, 12:35 PM
i had a week of it last week ....i am aching big time......water 70-74 all week..air mid 70's to high 80's.....

erkoehler
09-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I get the pleasure of working at 2pm :mad:

maristarman
09-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Broke a toe Friday nite.

Relegated to boat drivin and tubin for the weekend. :mad:

Leroy
09-05-2005, 01:29 PM
This is another way to tell the English-American's, spell Labor....

Nice weather there Sizzler! Water is 70 here, air getting up to 82 today.

betsy&david Harrison
09-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Here is a shot of my site. Left early to avoid traffic but got some great skiing done. This was taken from the aerolite flight. Our place is the right half of the whitish building and all the grass with the tramp on it. The '93 S&S is at the dock. B

betsy&david Harrison
09-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Just a tidbit for those interested...in the back of the photo where you see a few ponds...the guy is making another ski lake out of a set of them and lots are coming up for sale soon. You may want to come visit me in Bako sometime if interested because they will go quickly. B

bigmac
09-05-2005, 02:33 PM
We were out this morning at 6:15. Spectacular sunrise. It was my turn to provide the boat, so I didn't get any pictures. A little windy, but out of the south so we only had to go around the point out of my buddy's bay. Air temp 70, water temp 67. I tried out a new (nylon baggy) dry suit - it works great and is indeed dry, but I can see that the Polar fleece shirt and pants I ordered from Cabela's will be arriving none too soon.

6ballsisall
09-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Here is a shot of my site. Left early to avoid traffic but got some great skiing done. This was taken from the aerolite flight. Our place is the right half of the whitish building and all the grass with the tramp on it. The '93 S&S is at the dock. B

Thats a sweet place you have there Betsy!! :worthy:

phecksel
09-06-2005, 12:18 PM
It's safer.

Most of the years when someone dies in our lake, it's on holiday weekend
There's too many people that use their boat only on holidays
There's way too much drinking on holiday weekends
And I was busy working on the house and caring for the convalescing Mrs.

Unfortunately, it will be Friday before I can get out again :(

east tx skier
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Did anyone notice it being less crowded this year? Our lake was practically deserted all weekend, but for some fishing boats and the occassional pontooner, we had near glass all weekend. Very unusual.

Cameron got his first boat ride. Got his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, too. I'd like to say he saw me ski, but I know he didn't wake up for much of any of them. I need to put a boat motor in the kid's room!

Crash
09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I too noticed less activity on the lakes, perhaps gas prices are making a difference.

Skiied very well on Saturday, but pulled/strained muscles in my forarms and couldn't hang onto the handle nor make a tight fist for the rest of the weekend. Was reduced to designated boat driver.

John B
09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Skiied very well on Saturday, but pulled/strained muscles in my forarms and couldn't hang onto the handle nor make a tight fist for the rest of the weekend. Was reduced to designated boat driver.

You could have used duck tape and taped your hands to the handle. :D

shepherd
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I too noticed less activity on the lakes, perhaps gas prices are making a difference.

That happened to a buddy of mine our first day at ski school. Blew out his forearms. Man was he bummed, really put a damper on his lessons and he was embarrassed when the only way he could get up was on 2 skis and then drop one. I remember we had steak for dinner that night and my wife had to cut up his steak for him because his hands/arms were too weak to hold the steak knife :uglyhamme

Crash
09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I can't tell you how many times and how many alternatives I considered to tying my wrists to the handle. But then once up I still wouldn't be able to hang on while crossing the wakes. Happened to me a couple weeks ago and reinjured it this weekend.

I'm heading down to FL in a couple weeks to SurfExpo and hoping my arms will be better in time to take a few sets in the FL sun!

River Rat
09-06-2005, 02:56 PM
why are you all not out skiing??????

its a holiday ,right???? :confused:

I was I was!! :D

Our water was great far less crowded that usual.......it may be worth higher gas prices to keep peeps off my glass ;)

east tx skier
09-06-2005, 03:34 PM
My wife held on too long getting up on a slalom ski once and couldn't ski for weeks because of the forearm thing.

jmyers
09-06-2005, 03:40 PM
We were sitting by the river drinking a few beers, and rafting down the Klamath river and never gave the gas prices another thought for 4 days!! Rafts don't need fuel thank god!! Just kept my Ice cold brews with me, It did run me about $150 to drive up though at $3.15 a gallon. :( I was glad to see the MC when I got home, it's going out Sunday! :D

Ric
09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Did anyone notice it being less crowded this year? Our lake was practically deserted all weekend, but for some fishing boats and the occassional pontooner, we had near glass all weekend. Very unusual.

Cameron got his first boat ride. Got his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, too. I'd like to say he saw me ski, but I know he didn't wake up for much of any of them. I need to put a boat motor in the kid's room!
I was kinda holding off going to the lake thinking that it was wasteful seeing people east of us with no gas.
By monday I couldnt stand it and otherwise convinced myself that holeing up at home would not help anybody so we got out and pulled the kids around a bit late monday.

sassydog
09-06-2005, 05:53 PM
i was risking death by testing out a homemade wakeboard! i'm a carpenter by trade, but that means nothing when it comes to watersports. Crude design w/ a killer paint job, it was made out of a flat pine board(no rocker) and old sneakers screwed to the deck; and no fins. It was squirly as hell, but that didn't stop me from making history. Even Rockman had a good run on it. Pics comming soon! :eek3:

betsy&david Harrison
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Here is another pic of the Arvin lakes for you to enjoy :D

betsy&david Harrison
09-06-2005, 11:53 PM
The lakes in the foreground are Paradise and in the high $ range. The next three are where the INT Nationals are going to take place next month. They are now being filled after being redug. You can see the blue going over to the third lake. The next lake is Precision and the one after that is the one I ski on. In the back...new ski lake coming our way!

erkoehler
Nice shot, someday......

PendO

Ours was pretty deserted, the air temp was down a bit, but that just made for better water ... its nice when air temp and water temp are the same. The weekend before the activity was probably 10X greater.

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:54 PM
i was risking death by testing out a homemade wakeboard! i'm a carpenter by trade, but that means nothing when it comes to watersports. Crude design w/ a killer paint job, it was made out of a flat pine board(no rocker) and old sneakers screwed to the deck; and no fins. It was squirly as hell, but that didn't stop me from making history. Even Rockman had a good run on it. Pics comming soon! :eek3:

definetly waiting to see those pics..... :purplaugh

whitedog
09-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Awsome place Betsy they just don't build them like that in the midwest.

Sizzler see the kids thread to see how I spent last weekend. Put 16 hours on my boat and another 3 in a boat at the show on sunday. :)

Crash
09-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Wow!! .... Wow!! .... Wow!! ....

Ric
09-07-2005, 12:00 AM
those are some great shots betsy my lake looks like a mudhole from aereal pics

betsy&david Harrison
09-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Almost all of us use the blue stuff to help keep the algae down. The bluest/green lakes have the most dye in them. Ours used to look like a mud hole from the air until we put the stuff in them.

rodltg2
09-07-2005, 12:18 AM
how do i get info on the lots available at the new lake?

betsy&david Harrison
09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
See if there is a web site for Ironwood Ski Lakes, Arvin Ca. His name is Randy Heinrick. He has half of the lake drained at the moment and is planning on draining the other half soon. He will then remove the levee in the middle and move on from there. The other way is to come see me and ski in Bako.

Cary K.
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
The next three are where the INT Nationals are going to take place next month.

That place is unbelievable looking. I am kicking myself for passing up the INT trip. With a new baby here anyday now, I let the 2nd place guy have my slot. Hopefully it will be back there next year and I can finally check it out.

betsy&david Harrison
09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
That place is unbelievable looking. I am kicking myself for passing up the INT trip. With a new baby here anyday now, I let the 2nd place guy have my slot. Hopefully it will be back there next year and I can finally check it out.
I'm thinking the new baby has rights over the INT this year! I sure hope to meet some of the INT skiers on this site. They are more than welcome to stay at our place. B

rodltg2
09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
no website for ironwood ski lake. when are you guys going again?

betsy&david Harrison
09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
no website for ironwood ski lake. when are you guys going again?
Either the weekend of the 17th or 24th. This weekend we are skiing at a tourney at Nacimiento. I'll want real water after that so it will most likely be both!