PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Charger R/T or SRT

Thrall
09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
So thinking about getting a 2nd vehicle for wife's commuter car. Currently she's driving a Dodge Mega Cab and while that used to work great, now it's a bunch of in-town stop and go driving, small parking lots, etc and the 21' long 7000 lb 6speed manual is kind of a pain in the @ss. Not to mention I plan on keeping the truck for a long time and want to quit racking up the miles on it.
Anyway, neither she nor I have owned a car for close to 20 yrs. Always had trucks and honestly cars still aren't that appealing to either of us and No point in an SUV when we already have a 4x4 crew cab.
The Charger is pretty appealing though. RWD, V8. Big enough to offer decent protection in an accident AND they look good!
Done some reading on Charger forums, but looking for more opinions. Asking on a Charger Forum is like asking here who likes MC's!
Anyone own one? What do you think about the reliability?
I realize the SRT is going to come with a mpg penalty and premium fuel penalty, but around here I don't see well cared for RT's going for much less than SRT's. Plus alot of the RT's are blinged out ghetto hoppers already, whereas most of the SRT's appear to be stock, well cared for (higher income owners, in general). Most of the RT's that are clean are also the plain jane versions whereas we're drawn more towards the Daytona styled ones or similar and for the price of the Daytonas or other optioned out RT's you can get a comparable SRT8.
Looking mostly at 06-07 models, especially in the SRT, as I think production #s went down alot in 08+.
Any experience with these cars?

mikeg205
09-24-2012, 07:09 PM
srt a bit faster and better resale i believe...they are pretty sic looking...

Thrall
09-24-2012, 07:14 PM
And the SRT has better brakes, stiffer suspension, lower stance and guaranteed to be leather.
To get the better brakes/handling on a RT you have to find one with the Road & Track pkg which puts it in the same price range as comparable SRT's.
I've never had a "luxury" car before, he!! never even had a vehicle with leather since my ole '76 Buick!

mzimme
09-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Why no SUV? Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 if you're looking at $60k vehicles. It's probably about the same length and width of a charger anyway, but it doesn't look like a ghetto hooptie and can still move in snow if you get it. Plus, they're ridiculous fast.

I'm NOT a fan of the new chargers at all, as you might be able to tell :)

milkmania
09-24-2012, 07:43 PM
this was across the street today.... like it a lot!

snork
09-24-2012, 08:10 PM
anything SRT8

DJnGA
09-24-2012, 08:42 PM
I Have had an 300c SRT8 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. They are by far the funnest car i have ever driven.

TomFL
09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
I own a 09 Challenger I drive for work 118,692 miles on it with no problems at all. Set of brakes and a couple set of tires. I did install a 1.75 lowering kit, Flowmaster cat back system (for better sound) cold air intake and programmer. Painted the lower skirts and front spoiler the same color as the car Inferno red. The new srt8 challenger 2011 and 2012 have the new 6.4L (392ci) with 470HP very fast 12.4 1/4 times stock and better gas mileage than the 2008-2010 SRT with the 6.1L. The SRT Jeep good choice also and you can tow your boat. You could buy a used Viper for the price of a new SRT Challenger or Jeep most have under 10,000 miles on them 2008-2010 600HP.

toolz
09-24-2012, 10:46 PM
We recently traded our '08 Charger R/T for a '12 Durango R/T. I really like the Durango, but miss the Charger a lot. It was the first car we owned (as a daily driver) for about 15 years. Powerfull, handled great, really good milage for a big car, and very comfortable. I would own another one in a second. Wife didn't want an SRT8 at the time for fear of a harsh ride. She worked at home for about 20 years, but now has to drive to work, which made an SUV the choice again, since we live in the boonies and winter is on the way. There's a lot of Mercedes influence in that chassis- just a great all-around car.

Thrall
09-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Why no SUV? Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 if you're looking at $60k vehicles. It's probably about the same length and width of a charger anyway, but it doesn't look like a ghetto hooptie and can still move in snow if you get it. Plus, they're ridiculous fast.

I'm NOT a fan of the new chargers at all, as you might be able to tell :)

Icoulda swore you liked Chargers! SRT Cherokee would be great but used are $30k plus. I'm looking at $18-20k SRTs.
Plus already have a tow rig.

davidstan
09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
I have had my 09 Challenger r/t for 4 yrs and still impresses. No problems and get more comments than any car ever for me. In 09 the rt was the way to go cause not great enough difference in the srt but now I would probably go with the srt and the 392 engine and upgrades. Worth it trust me.

Double
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I owned an 300SRT8 for 110K miles and it was a blast to drive. I put on an Air hammer cold air intake, bought a programmer, cooler thermostat and had the car professionally tuned. It was a beast (6.1 not the 6.4). I actually averaged 19 mpg on the life of the car. Traded it in in December for around what you are looking to pay. Drawbacks, tires aren't cheap and neither are the brakes but they make that big car a lot more nimble than you will believe. Attached are my dyno numbers at the wheels. max power 386 hp, 388 tq at the wheels.

Thrall
09-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Sounds like overall good reviews. I've seen plenty of Hemis in our company work trucks and that drvetrain seems to handle the abuse they get pretty well.
Going ot look at an 06 SRT8 Charger tonight, gramma owned 60k miles.......we'll see.

Heard they were heard on front end components, tie rods, bj's etc. You guys with the 100k mi + cars, what's your experience?

scott023
09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
SRT8, for sure. The RT is all show, no go.

TxsRiverRat
09-25-2012, 12:11 PM
i its a commuter car only, why not get something thats a gas miser ?

scott023
09-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Got to have some fun in it too, no? 8p

TxsRiverRat
09-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Got to have some fun in it too, no? 8p

True. I have the pickup i drive every day, then i have the garage queen for the weekends lol

Double
09-25-2012, 12:42 PM
no issue on front end components. At 100k it wasn't as tight as it once was but not beyond normal wear expectations. One thing I did was run all the same size tires all the way around so I could rotate tires. They originally came with a couple cm smaller in the front.

Thrall
09-25-2012, 02:07 PM

'Cause I can! haha
Not sure how my wife would accept a Hyundai coming from 2 crew cab diesels that were/are in the 8-900ft/lb tq range!
I have a company truck that haulls my @ss everywhere.
In CO it was a different story, over 20k mi a year just commuting herself and the kids around. Straight up highway driving 75 mph in the mtns, snow or chance of 6mo + a year. Many road hazards, like the 4 legged kind and 4 wheeled kind, better to be safe in the big truck.

Now, just around town stuff here in WA, 10 mi commute = 10 stoplights and never over 50mph. No snow (well, like 2 weeks a year).

Never penciled out financially to have a 2nd car and honestly still doesn't. More of a convienence/luxury really. Don't really like cars in general, definately truck people. Don't want/need a SUV with a truck that seats 6 w/ 4wd. So that leaves finding an appealing car. Challenger, Camaro, Muskrat, Vette fit the bill except for the haulin the kids' part, so that leaves the Charger. No other V8 RWD cars available other than the 300 which is to grampa/hoopty or the Magnum station wagon thing that is butt ugly.

Oh and no German cars, they're nice, but too expensive and too expensive to maintain/repair.

Thrall
09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
no issue on front end components. At 100k it wasn't as tight as it once was but not beyond normal wear expectations. One thing I did was run all the same size tires all the way around so I could rotate tires. They originally came with a couple cm smaller in the front.

That's good to know. Definately would run same size non directional tires too.

Thrall
09-25-2012, 02:12 PM
The one I'm looking at today is Inferno Red. Love black, but w/ a black truck and black boat I don't need another 200sf of black paint to maintain!

toolz
09-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Good looking car, and the inferno red looks better in person. My R/T was black metalic, and it would really sparkle up close. And as far as "all show, no go", it ran mid 14 second range 1/4 mile, not bad for a stone stock big car.

Hammer
09-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Loved my Charger SRT. Looks much better than the RT in my opinion also. They really are not that bad on gas if you can keep your foot out of it. I never could. Just to much fun. The one thing that I strongly recommend after purchase is to buy a Predator programmer. It really wakes these cars up. Firms up the shift of the trans. And optimizes bolt on's like intake and exhaust mods. Mine was a garage queen. Drove it on weekends and a few trips here and there. Just a fun car that just happens to have four doors.

east tx skier
09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
So thinking about getting a 2nd vehicle for wife's commuter car. Currently she's driving a Dodge Mega Cab and while that used to work great, now it's a bunch of in-town stop and go driving, small parking lots, etc and the 21' long 7000 lb 6speed manual is kind of a pain in the @ss. Not to mention I plan on keeping the truck for a long time and want to quit racking up the miles on it.
Anyway, neither she nor I have owned a car for close to 20 yrs. Always had trucks and honestly cars still aren't that appealing to either of us and No point in an SUV when we already have a 4x4 crew cab.
The Charger is pretty appealing though. RWD, V8. Big enough to offer decent protection in an accident AND they look good!
Done some reading on Charger forums, but looking for more opinions. Asking on a Charger Forum is like asking here who likes MC's!
Anyone own one? What do you think about the reliability?
I realize the SRT is going to come with a mpg penalty and premium fuel penalty, but around here I don't see well cared for RT's going for much less than SRT's. Plus alot of the RT's are blinged out ghetto hoppers already, whereas most of the SRT's appear to be stock, well cared for (higher income owners, in general). Most of the RT's that are clean are also the plain jane versions whereas we're drawn more towards the Daytona styled ones or similar and for the price of the Daytonas or other optioned out RT's you can get a comparable SRT8.
Looking mostly at 06-07 models, especially in the SRT, as I think production #s went down alot in 08+.
Any experience with these cars?

A lady that works in our office has an older SRT-8 and, at 425 hp, it is fast as can be. It sucks down gas like crazy, but she doesn't care for the fun factor it provides. I have driven it and it's not something I would want to own, but it was fun in a straight line. I don't care for the interior and, frankly, don't like the retro Dodge looks all that much, but I can appreciate its raw power for sure. But I would trade that power for something a little more refined in the looks and comfort department.

east tx skier
09-26-2012, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Hammer;880384]They really are not that bad on gas if you can keep your foot out of it.

That's what they all say. I got a tune on my little turbo VW that adds about 40--50 hp and 80 ft/lbs of torque. If you can keep your foot out of it, fuel economy does, in fact, improve by about 10--15%. IF .... :)

http://img.autobytel.com/car-reviews/autobytel/digital-assets/2009/2009VolkswagenCC/2009%20VW%20CC%20profile.jpg

GT500 MC
09-26-2012, 10:39 AM
That's why we buy these things w/high HP, to put our foot into it.....:D

maxpower220
09-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Have you looked at the Ford Taurus SHO. Twin turbo V6. I know very little about it, but it could be an option.

Honestly, if you compare a BMW 535 and the SRT8, you may find cost of ownership to be less in the BMW. Based on warranty and resale, you may be surprised.

Double
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Have you looked at the Ford Taurus SHO. Twin turbo V6. I know very little about it, but it could be an option.

Honestly, if you compare a BMW 535 and the SRT8, you may find cost of ownership to be less in the BMW. Based on warranty and resale, you may be surprised.

I've driven the SHO and while it's a nice fun car it's a different animal IMO than the large Hemi (6.1, 6.4) vehicles. I would be surprised that a person that has migrated to a SRT would be considering the SHO. (all wheel drive vs traditional 2 wheel)

When considering a BMW if its not under the 5 year all maintenance included umbrella the costs of maintenance at dealerships is astronomical and I've seen a lot of 6 year old BMW's with real mechanical failures. This is ofcourse just my opinion, but I wouldn't own a BMW that wasn't under full warranty and the maintenance plan. Now with all that said, i loved the one BMW I owned, and would consider another but it would need to be under my previously stated requirements. Plus a 06 SRT would blow the doors off a 06 535 (425 vs 225 hp)

Thrall
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the input.
As said above, no German cars. Aside from maint and repair costs I'm not really a German car kinda person. Logger boots, flannel shirt and camo ball cap just don't seem to fit somehow.:D
No Fords, well maybe a new 'Stang, but I'm pretty much GM or Dodge only.
Drove the SRT last night, gently, it's not mine, haha. I can understand where the ride is not for everyone, but coming from 3/4 and 1 ton trucks it aint bad and I'm sur ethe handling will make up for it. Besides I'll wait until Geritol is part of my daily diet before I get a "sofa" to drive.
Knowing that there's alot of Mercedes influence in the car, chassis and trans, means it should be pretty solid. Hemi's are dependable as are the Tiptronic 5speeds.
Car drove perfectly, and I mean perfectly. It's literally in new condition in and out with 60k mi. (I was a little disappointed that the engine wasn't detailed, haha, but it is an older lady's car who never popped the hood.) Car is one of a "fleet" the family has at their, I'm guessing, $10M + estate. According to her, never left the garage if snowing or freezing, and rarely in the rain. And I believe it, not so much as a rock chip on the bumper. Only damage to the vehicle is a little scuff on the back bumper cover from draggin overloaded Nordstroms bags out of the trunk! Car still has orig brakes best of her knowledge "All maint was done ontime per the manual at the dlr, just like all our vehicles." Her words. And it's possible that it still has the orig tires. Would seem quite a coincidence that someone would replace the OE staggered size GY F1 Supercar tires with the exact replacement. Again, she didn't know. She turns the key and drives it, only her by the way, and no fat people drove it much because the drivers seat leather has not so much as a wrinkle in it!

So she won't budge on the price and I'm a haggler, so that didn't set well. Want's $20.5k "OBO" for it and with the WA fuggin tax, add another $2k to get it on the road. (Thought OBO meant you were a bit flexible in price!, whatever)
Thing is, I know these cars aren't selling well, that's why I moved up from looking at RT's to SRT's. There's 3 of them been sitting on CL in the area with 10k more miles and same or less price for ages. Pretty small market for a 4dr muscle car with bad mileage, no warranty and gas at $4+ per gal here.
She knows she has the cleanest garage queen car available and obviously doesn't need the money. However has dropped the price several times to it's current price.
Guess I'll let my wife decide.:rolleyes:

Thrall
09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Hammer;880384]They really are not that bad on gas if you can keep your foot out of it.

That's what they all say. I got a tune on my little turbo VW that adds about 40--50 hp and 80 ft/lbs of torque. If you can keep your foot out of it, fuel economy does, in fact, improve by about 10--15%. IF .... :)

http://img.autobytel.com/car-reviews/autobytel/digital-assets/2009/2009VolkswagenCC/2009%20VW%20CC%20profile.jpg
The VW TDIs are where it's at. Hence the premium for them.
Now if I could get a Charger TDI, I'd be all over it! Tune it up to about 600ft-lbs and still get 25-30mpg!
I'm down with diesels for sure, he!! I just bought a '94 Chevy Z71 6.5 TD just because I like them! WIfe won't drive it though, looks too much like my moms truck, her words, and if she is going to be in a diesel 4x4 she'll keep her black Mega cab thankyouverymuch!

mzimme
09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm glad you said the word "Mustang".

You should go drive one of the 2011-2013 GT's. 414 hp and a 6 speed transmission in that car is just amazing. You can find 11-12's with under 20k miles in the $23-25k range all day long. On top of that, with the 6 speed they're getting 26-27mpg on the highway out of that 5.0L motor. The 2010's had the same body style but are still stuck with the 4.6... definitely go after the 5.0L if you go the mustang route.

I've actually been looking to get into one of the new Mustangs myself. Might pull the trigger come tax return time, as my Lexus is approaching 150k miles. I have a Jeep to get through the winters, so I'm thinking it's almost new car time. I had a 94 cobra that I built about 5 years ago, and I miss that car every day. Sold it to buy the Lexus. :(

Seriously, go drive one. They drive INCREDIBLY nice for a 414hp beast, and you can get a much newer vehicle with warranty and less miles on it than you could get out of a 5-6 year old SRT.

mzimme
09-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Plus how can you argue with te looks of these things... sweet god they're hot.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Double
09-26-2012, 02:05 PM
very good points mzimme. I often wonder If I could find a place to park one of those myself!

mzimme
09-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Forgot to mention also that they do have a Brembo brake package that comes on the GT's. Definitely worth the upgrade if you can find them. I'm not sure what year they started having that option, but I know the 12's and 13's have them. Not sure about 11's.

Thrall
09-26-2012, 02:18 PM
I know the new Muskrats are the real deal. Got a 5.0 in my work truck and it hauls the mail for a de-tuned version of the engine in a 3 ton truck (with tools).
However, still not a big Ford guy and already ruled out the Challenger and Camaro due to only 2 doors. This will be a kids' in and outta the car 4x min a day vehicle.
I hear what you're saying about value/price though. I can't see where the SRT Chargers should be fetching quite that much money given their competition. Most SRT owners don't really "need" a 4door and there would have probably been alot less sold in 06-07 if the Challenger, Camaro or 5.0 Stangs were available at that time. Prolly just sticker shock on the depreciation of a $40k+ car with gas guzzler tax.

Thrall
09-26-2012, 02:28 PM
You can find 11-12's with under 20k miles in the $23-25k range all day long. .

I think geographical area plays a part in the prices, 'cause I just did a quick check and all the private party cars in Seattle area and they're all $27-30k asking, dealers are 30+.

Was going to post this previous, but I've seen Charger SRT's for a few thou less in other areas, but the cost of living up here apparently applies to everything!
Come to think of it, I haven't found a good deal on ANYTHING up here, except chew on the Indian Reservations!

mzimme
09-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I looked on autotrader.com and just did a nationwide search with my parameters of 25k or less, and v8 motor. I had about 150 results with those search parameters. The cars had anywhere from 5-35k miles on them... I didn't really pay attention where they were being sold at. I will say, I'm spoiled in the midwest. We get everything for cheap :).

onewheat
09-26-2012, 03:46 PM
...and already ruled out the Challenger and Camaro due to only 2 doors. This will be a kids' in and outta the car 4x min a day vehicle.

I don't get that? I grew up in the back seat of a '65 Beetle with two sisters and we have never had a 4-door car raising our two boys. That's what kids do - climb in the back seat. If I'm going for a non-practical fun to drive car with some HP, you can bet it wouldn't be a 4-door. That is a car for me - if it's for the kids, get a minivan. :twocents:

Kyle
09-26-2012, 04:29 PM
That's why we buy these things w/high HP, to put our foot into it.....:D

Thank you!!!!! Finally someone has the picture.

My gf has a 2012 camaro SS. I will say faster than any of the srt8 cars by far. Faster than mustangs or challengers hands down and even some vetts. It is a stock six speed with a k&n air filter, and flow master exhaust.

A little advise from someone that lives on the wild side. We do not drive the car after going to a bar or after drinking. It's just not a good idea. I can speak from experience that the car has gotten away from me before and we were out on the town. I didn't hit anything but it left a perminent impression in my mind how easy it is to let the back end go crazy. Now we drive her Hoe or my truck if we go out.

2 months ago we left 300' scratch marks down a street and last month we finally caught an open highway with no traffic and hit 152 mph and then shifted into 6th gear.

We have 3 vehicles and we drive the SS for fun or just out of want.

I like the way the challengers look but they are way too heavy so they are slower but they look cool.

Drive a new camaro before your purchase. I get that you are a dodge guy but go treat yourself to a test drive :)

Thrall
09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I've driven a new Camaro SS, got one for a rental in San Diego a cpl yrs ago.......same price as the mid size chit box I had rented! Took about 20k mi of rubber of the tires of that car in 4 days! Loved driving it.
Good point about taking the hot rod out to the bars. Not only what you said, but muscle cars seem to get profiled a little differently at 2am than pickups and family trucksters.
I'm pretty much 50/50 GM or Dodge, but GM doesn't make a sedan worth a chit. Now it would be a toss up between a Challenger or Camaro or DMax or Cummins.

mzimme
09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
I've driven a new Camaro SS, got one for a rental in San Diego a cpl yrs ago.......same price as the mid size chit box I had rented! Took about 20k mi of rubber of the tires of that car in 4 days! Loved driving it.
Good point about taking the hot rod out to the bars. Not only what you said, but muscle cars seem to get profiled a little differently at 2am than pickups and family trucksters.
I'm pretty much 50/50 GM or Dodge, but GM doesn't make a sedan worth a chit. Now it would be a toss up between a Challenger or Camaro or DMax or Cummins.

Not when they funnel every God Dang car into a single lane, stop you for no reason other than driving down the road, ask for ID even though you did nothing to warrant being questioned about your license, then arrest you for whatever they deem necessary at the time. :mad:

Fuggin hate checkpoints, and I DO NOT drive drunk.

Thrall
09-26-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't get that? I grew up in the back seat of a '65 Beetle with two sisters and we have never had a 4-door car raising our two boys. That's what kids do - climb in the back seat. If I'm going for a non-practical fun to drive car with some HP, you can bet it wouldn't be a 4-door. That is a car for me - if it's for the kids, get a minivan. :twocents:

I hear ya. 2door Buick Centurion until I was about 10 yrs old, then another 2 door Buick.
But, still a pain in the @ss w/ a 2 door car. Oh and if I could get a SRT Challenger, 5.0 Stang (maybe) or Camaro SS for under $20k I'd deal with it.
I'm sure your parents didn't roll the VW bug because it was their dream car, nor did mine with the old Buicks. It was what they could afford or what was available.

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Not when they funnel every God Dang car into a single lane, stop you for no reason other than driving down the road, ask for ID even though you did nothing to warrant being questioned about your license, then arrest you for whatever they deem necessary at the time. :mad:

Fuggin hate checkpoints, and I DO NOT drive drunk.

Wow that was a stretch.........what did you get arrested for:popcorn:

east tx skier
09-26-2012, 05:35 PM
The VW TDIs are where it's at. Hence the premium for them.
Now if I could get a Charger TDI, I'd be all over it! Tune it up to about 600ft-lbs and still get 25-30mpg!
I'm down with diesels for sure, he!! I just bought a '94 Chevy Z71 6.5 TD just because I like them! WIfe won't drive it though, looks too much like my moms truck, her words, and if she is going to be in a diesel 4x4 she'll keep her black Mega cab thankyouverymuch!

Mine's a gasser (TSI).

Thrall
09-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Thrall
09-26-2012, 05:41 PM

I'm guessing no license! Yah been in that boat a couple times!

mzimme
09-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Never been arrested in a checkpoint, I just don't appreciate my rights being violated.

I did post a new thread about the time I did go to jail though ;)

onewheat
09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I hear ya. 2door Buick Centurion until I was about 10 yrs old, then another 2 door Buick.
But, still a pain in the @ss w/ a 2 door car. Oh and if I could get a SRT Challenger, 5.0 Stang (maybe) or Camaro SS for under $20k I'd deal with it.
I'm sure your parents didn't roll the VW bug because it was their dream car, nor did mine with the old Buicks. It was what they could afford or what was available.

Funny - my mom drove that Beetle until the front axle beam rusted through in '81 and her requests for the new car were add A/C, FM and keep it a manual trans - other than that, it's just transportation to her and she could care less what she drove.

Forrest-X45
09-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Caddy CTS or CTS-V??? Suppose to be really good cars. And you can get a 6 speed manual. Oh yeah......

That would be my 4 door car option or the E90 BMW M3, but I know you mentioned no German cars.

mzimme
09-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Caddy CTS or CTS-V??? Suppose to be really good cars. And you can get a 6 speed manual. Oh yeah......

That would be my 4 door car option or the E90 BMW M3, but I know you mentioned no German cars.

Give me the M5 over the M3/CTS-V all day long :) A C63 AMG wouldn't be bad either. Or the E55 AMG. I guess if they showed up in my garage, I'd drive them.

Thrall
09-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Correct, forgot about those.
The older style are in our price range, however wife likes the Charger more (I agree from a styling perspective) and no handshaker in this car. She's sick of the 6 speed in her truck for around town driving.

Forrest-X45
09-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Give me the M5 over the M3/CTS-V all day long :) A C63 AMG wouldn't be bad either. Or the E55 AMG. I guess if they showed up in my garage, I'd drive them.

E39 M5 maybe, but they are expensive to maintain. No way on the E60 or new F10 M5's. BMW lost their way on steering feel and handling dynamics on those two models. M3 all day......
Merc C63 is a great car but it doesn't drive like the CTS-V or M3. Merc's don't have the same driver feedback and handling dynamics. Their chassis tuning isn't as good.

If I had $30K-$60K burning a hole in my pocket I would be looking at used CTS-V's or E90 M3's, or even new. New F30 M3 next year will be back to I6, triple turbo.

TRBenj
09-27-2012, 04:29 PM
My gf has a 2012 camaro SS. I will say faster than any of the srt8 cars by far. Faster than mustangs or challengers hands down and even some vetts.
Have there been any changes to the SS since '10/11? MT tested the SS as a tick faster than the SRT8, but slower than the Stang.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_1006_2011_mustang_gt_2010_camaro_ss_2010_chall enger_srt8_comparison/viewall.html?rec=1

Forrest-X45
09-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Correct, forgot about those.
The older style are in our price range, however wife likes the Charger more (I agree from a styling perspective) and no handshaker in this car. She's sick of the 6 speed in her truck for around town driving.

Does your wife care about refinement? I have been in both cars, 2007 Charger RT and a 2008 CTS with the 3.6L V6. The Charger felt good but didn't handle or drive anything like the CTS let alone how the materials felt and the fit and finish. Styling preference....well, to each their own. :D

Just my :twocents:...

Thrall
09-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Does your wife care about refinement? I have been in both cars, 2007 Charger RT and a 2008 CTS with the 3.6L V6. The Charger felt good but didn't handle or drive anything like the CTS let alone how the materials felt and the fit and finish. Styling preference....well, to each their own. :D

Just my :twocents:...

To a point I suppose. I know the CTS is a much more refined luxury car than the Charger, but compared to her trucks over the years it is much more refined. The SRT will handle awesome and it's considerably more refined than our current or past vehicles. I ran a 04 CTSV, super low miles, by her and she wasn't thrilled about it.
She (and I) have always admired the Chargers since they came out.
You know what they say, "there's an @ss for every seat."
Personally I think most of the dash looks alot like our 07 Ram. I'm not crazy about it, but the SRT trim and seats are pretty darn nice. That and I'm a "simpler is better" type, less to go wrong, less to fix, the Charger is already pushing those limits, Caddy is a little over the top with electronic gadgets for my liking.

Thrall
09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
BTW, I enjoy the conversation, but I wasn't really looking for reccomendations other than preference between the 2 different models and input on experience with them.

Double
09-27-2012, 06:48 PM
you will love the SRT8, they are big and fast (and can be made faster;)), and a nice ride also!