PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove old registration numbers?

strad
09-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I know it's an elementary question lol. I just bought it, took it to a different state, and have the registration for it with new numbers. Old numbers have probably been on there since 1987, when it was last titled -- they are stuck on there really well! So what method do you guys use in such a situation?

ricford
09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Hair dryer to heat them up. Peel it off, then acetone to clean up the goo.

Lumbergh
09-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Heat + plastic putty knife.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Heat is good, but too much heat isn't. A hair dryer works well...be very careful with a heat gun. WD-40 is also a very good adhesive remover. Just need to clean the oil up afterwords.

VRS Fan
09-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Goo-Gone and Auto ice scrapper that has a hard plastic edge.

strad
09-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok, got them off. Next problem is, they left behind a "ghost" image of the old numbers. The gelcoat has yellowed very slightly over time, such that the area behind the old numbers is whiter than the surrounding areas. I'm the type of person who will be bothered by that lol. Is there an easy way to "blend" somehow? The boat does not need to be compounded per se except for where the old numbers are/were (it's in very nice cosmetic shape). Any chance compounding would work, or do I just have to learn to live with it?

madcityskier
09-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Just did this. Buffing with oxidation remover made it hard to see. With the new ones over I don't even see it. I was told the yellowing is at least in part a build up of wax.

milkmania
09-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok, got them off. Next problem is, they left behind a "ghost" image of the old numbers. The gelcoat has yellowed very slightly over time, such that the area behind the old numbers is whiter than the surrounding areas. I'm the type of person who will be bothered by that lol. Is there an easy way to "blend" somehow? The boat does not need to be compounded per se except for where the old numbers are/were (it's in very nice cosmetic shape). Any chance compounding would work, or do I just have to learn to live with it?

most everyone on this forum will feel the same way :twocents: