PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid in the bilge

93Prostar190
09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Well guys all year I have been trying to find a tranny leak to my bilge ....... Every outing I have a bit of the red stuff mixed with any water that ends up in the bilge .... Even when I inspect the bilge while dry and after running, I find trace of the red ATF fluid.

Checked cooler lines and the area around the bell housing and I cannot find any leak ..... Heck .... I have cleaned and inspected and cleaned and inspected every outing to eliminate any possibility that it was left over from a possible overfill or anything like that ..... So simply said ..... I am leaking and I don't know from where. Even Mattscraft helped me look and we could not find a definitive source
.. Maybe the main seal?

How do I confirm, the seals?

MCX 2008 Prostar 214 .....220 hours or so.

mikeg205
09-23-2012, 04:05 PM
IIRC - main seal is an oil leak... DD right? ZFhurth 1:1 Tranny? Correct? If yes..there's a filter under the housing...could leaking there. If it was front seal you should be able to detect tranny fluid from bell housing. If rear bearing/seal should be able to detect there... here's a manual link and some pics

93Prostar190
09-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi can you tell me more about the filter? Is that something that can be changed without removing the tranny? Or is inside?
1:1 tranny direct drive .... And thank you for taking the time to respond.

mikeg205
09-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Based on the manual...IMO...I don't think so... Unless you have really small but strong hands and a great set of tools...I felt around for it..and thought forget it...if I got the bolts loose my luck I would not be able to torque them up...probably a specialty tool out there to do it....oh I hope the OCD MC does not kick in.

I would get some diapers (cuz they have tape) and put one up against the bell housing and one under the output shaft...i bet you'll find your leak... point.... my .02

gpeevs
09-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Another area to check which is mentioned if the ZF transmission is to check the breather is not blocked as this will create pressure in the transmission as it warms up and force fluid out of the seal. Also check around the cooler for leaks including the fittings as this is where I found a leak in my new boat. Took a while to locate it.

mikeg205
09-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Good point - another thing would be to remove dog house and run to see if there are any issue with hoses when under pressure.

93Prostar190
10-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Well guys .... Puzzled to say the least .... Took the boat out today and cruised around with the engine hatch out of the way ..... Took some diapers with me .... Put one under the bell housing on the big side (engine side) .... To catch any fluid dripping from that seal ....... Nothing noticeable .... Had another diaper under the rear of the tranny where the seal for the output shaft is ..... Again nothing.

I had one lengthwise under the tranny ..... Nothing .... We ran at 3500 rpms for a while .... Checked the cooler, and lines, and dipstick seal, again nothing.

I checked the little breather and no leak there.

I am perplexed .... Now maybe it did not leak much today, or I got lucky or unlucky

I have diapers under the tranny right now maybe some leaking will happen as the engine cools overnight .....

I really have not found the leak as of yet ....just wanted to update.

I do have a crazy question ..... Is there any chance that the fluid was leaking through the breather at high rpm because a wire harness was resting on it? Or with a wire harness resting on it, does it cause a pressure build up that leaks out a shaft and today it did not because I moved the wire harness that was resting on it?

As you can tell .. I am reaching for some explanation .... Thanks in advance for any feed back.

mikeg205
10-11-2012, 11:23 PM
It could leak out of the breather if it was overfull - IIRC...

Did you change fluid this season? how much did you take out and how much did you add?

93Prostar190
10-11-2012, 11:38 PM
That was my first theory .... I feel pretty good about the fluid level ..... It even leaked to the point that it slipped 2-3 times during my last September day of skiing ..... I actually added a bit on that day since it was clear that I was low.

mikeg205
10-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Strange... IMO it will have to get worse to find...keep us posted unless some else has an idea...

93Prostar190
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Strange... IMO it will have to get worse to find...keep us posted unless some else has an idea...

Thanks for your input ... I will keep after it .... It was bad enough during my last weekend at the lake that the slightest amount of bilge water moves it all over and makes a mess ..... I end up with slimy skis since the bilge water enter the ski locker when the boat stops and comes off plane.

Maybe I will see something in the diapers in the morning.

My 13 year old son got a big kick of me putting diapers on the tranny .....

93Prostar190
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
I need to check if maybe it leaks where the starter gear is at?

mikeg205
10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
2 seals on tranny - one forward on aft... not sure how you would fluid would reach starter area passed damper plate and then flywheel.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-12-2012, 12:22 AM
2 seals on tranny - one forward on aft... not sure how you would fluid would reach starter area passed damper plate and then flywheel.

And leaking upward...

sand2snow22
10-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Umm....Shouldn't you have 15w40 OIL in your tranny? Not ATF??

93Prostar190
10-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Direct drive is ATF ....

93Prostar190
08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Ok folks an update ... as a quick reminder on the original post ... I have a 2008 MCX 214 with a 1:1 direct drive tranny which has 1.7 QTS of ATF in it. I had a leak that I could not detect.

Some more history ... I used paper towels, diapers, and checked all possible locations ... we checked the shift area on the port side and that seal seemed fine ...all in all I could not trace where the fluid was coming from, we ruled water entering the tranny and overfilling issues, we ruled out a bad breather ... finally took it to dealer and begged for help.

With the engine running it would not leak ... only during driving for a skier / boarder / etc.

Chris at Tri-Lakes found that a bolt (under the ECM area) of the tranny (around the shift housing) was working loose and backing out .... since it was under the ECM is dripped in a funny way past the out part of the tranny and fell to the bottom of the bilge with very little trace unless you saw it .... Chris tightened the bolt and voila no more leak!!!!

Kudos to Tri-Lakes and thank god I did not pull the tranny out of the boat or mess with seals ... no need to in this case.

I cannot wait to have a clean bilge again!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Ok folks an update ... as a quick reminder on the original post ... I have a 2008 MCX 214 with a 1:1 direct drive tranny which has 1.7 QTS of ATF in it. I had a leak that I could not detect.

Some more history ... I used paper towels, diapers, and checked all possible locations ... we checked the shift area on the port side and that seal seemed fine ...all in all I could not trace where the fluid was coming from, we ruled water entering the tranny and overfilling issues, we ruled out a bad breather ... finally took it to dealer and begged for help.

With the engine running it would not leak ... only during driving for a skier / boarder / etc.

Chris at Tri-Lakes found that a bolt (under the ECM area) of the tranny (around the shift housing) was working loose and backing out .... since it was under the ECM is dripped in a funny way past the out part of the tranny and fell to the bottom of the bilge with very little trace unless you saw it .... Chris tightened the bolt and voila no more leak!!!!

Kudos to Tri-Lakes and thank god I did not pull the tranny out of the boat or mess with seals ... no need to in this case.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

sp00ky
08-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Good point - another thing would be to remove dog house and run to see if there are any issue with hoses when under pressure.

This happened to me for awhile and it was the oil cooler hose. I was a bonehead and didn't tighten enough when a put in a new cooler.

Now my bilge is oil free!! also if you overfill trans fluid its going to spray out at release. I highly recommend the oil extractor AND its on sale!! takes less than 5 minutes to change trans fluid. I did it between sets at the dock.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=313820&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50396&classNum=50402

MattsCraft
08-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Congrats Rob - I hear Captain Morgan is a good de-greezer, at least good to have a few while performing the job.
:banana: