PDA

View Full Version : What is this part?

mctristar
09-23-2012, 04:26 AM
i know this is a bar of steel, but what purpose does it serve? is it needed?

reason im asking is cause i dont see any other trailers with them on it.
and it just seems to get in the way when trying to clip in the safety line and winch line.

JimN
09-23-2012, 05:58 AM
That keeps the tow vehicle driver from wearing the boat as a hat in the event that they brake hard or hit something, especially if they're towing it downhill. Don't leave it off or remove it. Nautique trailers had that for a long time, too. If I had a hard time getting the slot to fit over the bow eye, I would stand under the bow to the side, and move in so my back was in contact with the hull, then use my legs to lift the bow enough to slide the bar over the eye. Obviously, this only works if the boat is on the bow rest and in the correct position in the first place.

madcityskier
09-23-2012, 10:41 AM
It could be removed if you wanted to weld in a different style bow stop, but don't just remove it. It is indeed there for your safety.

03geetee
09-23-2012, 11:46 AM
It is a pain in the *** till you get the hang of it, that being same launch spot and repetition. Different lakes and launches offer different angles of approach and present different loading senarios. Here is what I do with our boat and it has worked great since I figured it out....

Un loading:

Get boat close enough to water on the ramp, then loosen the winch a bit so you can remove the bar. Lower the bar down and reconnect the winch strap (tighten to your desire) back boat in, start, release winch and say good bye.

Loading:

I back the trailer in just so the fenders are about 1-2" above water. I pull the boat into the trailer slowly and slightly turn the wheel to the left so when I give it gas it stays straight. My partner puts his palm of his hand under the tow bar with slight pressure and I power up until it pops in. Once in I kill the boat and the bar keeps it from moving anywhere, the winch strap is reconnected and left with about a foot of slack. I do this because the *** end of the boat is still floating and if you winch it down too tight when it settles it will pull the hell out of that strap/bar and bend it if you are not carefull. Slowly my partner pulls out just enough so I can set her *** straight on the bunks so the fenders dont rub on either side and then shes out. Tighten winch go home.

JTR

ski_king
09-23-2012, 12:20 PM
It is a pain in the *** till you get the hang of it, that being same launch spot and repetition. Different lakes and launches offer different angles of approach and present different loading senarios. Here is what I do with our boat and it has worked great since I figured it out....

Un loading:

Get boat close enough to water on the ramp, then loosen the winch a bit so you can remove the bar. Lower the bar down and reconnect the winch strap (tighten to your desire) back boat in, start, release winch and say good bye.

Loading:

I back the trailer in just so the fenders are about 1-2" above water. I pull the boat into the trailer slowly and slightly turn the wheel to the left so when I give it gas it stays straight. My partner puts his palm of his hand under the tow bar with slight pressure and I power up until it pops in. Once in I kill the boat and the bar keeps it from moving anywhere, the winch strap is reconnected and left with about a foot of slack. I do this because the *** end of the boat is still floating and if you winch it down too tight when it settles it will pull the hell out of that strap/bar and bend it if you are not carefull. Slowly my partner pulls out just enough so I can set her *** straight on the bunks so the fenders dont rub on either side and then shes out. Tighten winch go home.

JTR

What he said, except I disconnect mine before I start to back down the ramp. My ramp is pretty steep and if you are on the incline it is next to impossible to release. The time or 2 I did forget to release it before backing down the ramp, I managed to release it with some forward throttle. Once the tension is off it, it will drop on its own. (but this takes more throttle than I like to give. The few time I did this I felt like I might end up in the bed of the truck.

There are haters of this bar, but mine has served me well for the last 30 years.

mctristar
09-23-2012, 02:07 PM

Un loading:

Loading:

JTR

so as your pulling the boat out doesnt it try to slid backwards with the slack in the winch?
and do you tighten the winch after she is completely out of the water?

SkiDog
09-23-2012, 02:52 PM
i know this is a bar of steel, but what purpose does it serve? is it needed?

reason im asking is cause i dont see any other trailers with them on it.
and it just seems to get in the way when trying to clip in the safety line and winch line.

that particular part SAVED my brand new, hours old, boat when I rear ended a guy that pulled out in front of me. I never hit the brakes! Boat never moved!:)

mctristar
09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
looks like ill prolly just deal with it lol

Cloaked
09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
so as your pulling the boat out doesnt it try to slid backwards with the slack in the winch?
and do you tighten the winch after she is completely out of the water?The bar is a good thing. Learn how to use it (launch and load) and you'll be in high cotton. It's very easy to utilize by one's self even when loading.

The boat will only slide back within the distance of the slot on the bar (less than an inch or so). as you load the boat, slip the bar onto the bow eye and clip the strap to the eye. Leave the winch strap loose until you get completely out of the water. Reason; while still in the water (depending on depth of trailer) your back end may still be floating. Don't cinch it down until the back end sets on the trailer (out of the water).

There are several threads here on TT about this bar. I'd not want to be without one.

The poster earlier in this thread told you everything you need to know about trailer depth, launching, loading, throttle forwards to drop the bar, etc....

mctristar
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
i greatly appreciate all the replys.
im a noob so bare with me.

yes the info above helps a lot!!!

pbgbottle
09-23-2012, 10:48 PM
here you might want to read this it is an upgrade for the older trailers.
it has all the measurements you should need .
Mastercraft boat buddy retrofit. check the attatchment .
this may be another option for you . one day i will retrofit my trailer.

i too hate my bar but i would never go without it .PDF file below
this is for 1987-1989 trailers

,,,,,,,,,,,,,PDF here

Miss Rita
09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I think the bar is an ingenious way to keep the boat on the trailer during a panic stop. Having said that, I removed the bar on my trailer, and am quite happy that I did. If you decide to keep the bar, good luck loading your boat next time you're alone.

If the bar was such a great idea, MC wouldn't have stopped providing them 20 years ago.

If there's concern about restraining the boat on the trailer it would be easy to replace the bar with a length of chain and a turnbuckle.

mzimme
09-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I load my boat alone everytime with that bar... not so bad once you figure it out.

Miss Rita
09-27-2012, 05:05 PM
I load my boat alone everytime with that bar... not so bad once you figure it out.

I went to college, and then some. I may not be smart, but I'm ejucated. I could never figure out how to keep one hand on the throttle, one hand on the wheel, and one hand on the trailering bar.

You're a better man than me. :)

madcityskier
09-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Put the trailer deeper, float it on, with the wheel centered pull it out nice and slow. As far as this being changed for the better, keep in mind that they went to the boat buddy, which leaves marks on the glass and has been known to take chunks out of the glass according to some of the threads here. Sometimes the easiest answer isn't the best. For that matter I rarely need to do it alone, there are always three of us skiing anyway.

Cloaked
09-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I went to college, and then some. I may not be smart, but I'm ejucated. I could never figure out how to keep one hand on the throttle, one hand on the wheel, and one hand on the trailering bar.

You're a better man than me. :)lol...

It's easy to unload and load with one person. Been doing it for more years than you may possibly be of age... lol.....

If you read a lot here (or a little) you'd have seen one of many write-ups on how it's done. :)

Miss Rita
09-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I tried the float-on technique. The ramp I use must be a little shallow, because I would have to back the Tahoe in so far that the exhaust was under water before the boat got close to the bar, and even then it would have to be powered the last 6-12". Once that was accomplished it seemed that the boat would never be centered as it settled on the trailer.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I like the control of hand-winching the boat the last couple of feet, I don't have to power-load, the boat is always centered, and I can do it alone.

mctristar
10-11-2012, 02:24 AM
had more damn issues with this thing.
im thinking about elongating the cut out in the bar about an inch or so, to make it a bit easier to load.
i just cant seem to get the boat far enough forward and when i do i release the winch to put the bar on and the damn thing slides back.
PITA

JimN
10-11-2012, 09:16 AM
i just cant seem to get the boat far enough forward and when i do i release the winch to put the bar on and the damn thing slides back.
PITA

This is on level ground, or with the tongue above the sheels?

O2BESOHUGE
10-11-2012, 04:07 PM
My 89 Pro Star Trailer Had It...