PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Jeep Wrangler 6 speed or Auto?

richieboy
09-22-2012, 05:15 PM
I 'm looking at a new Jeep and wondering if Ishould get a automatic or standard?
Also Rubicon vs Sahara? I plan on jacking it up anway. any thoughts from you jeep guys.

jkski
09-22-2012, 05:34 PM
We have a 2009 so I apologize if this does not apply, if they changed motors. We have the v6 that Chrysler/Jeep made so popular in their mini-vans for years and it is coupled to the 6 speed and we really like it. Comparing it to the auto, the 6 speed has more get-up and go and 6th gear is pretty much only a cruising speed gear as you will have to downshift on pretty much any hill unless you get the RPM's up before you start to climb.

If they still offerred the 4.0l inline 6, that would be the best motor but to the best of my knowledge it is no longer an option.
Good luck.

jk13
09-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Manual for sure.

The automatic is the same valve body as the mini-van.

mzimme
09-23-2012, 10:28 PM
If you're going to jack it up anyway, get the rubicon. Comes with better axles and gear ratios.

Ski-me
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Second the Rubicon. Stronger axles, better gear ratios that will help with it's "quickness". I think they have 4.10......and also lockers in the axles if I recall. I prefer the 5 speed as well. You can work the engine a little more.

The new engine is suppose to be pretty good. I rented one last year with the new engine and it fet more peppy than a few years ago. My co-worker has a supercharger on his Rubicon and loves it! So much aftermarket parts for these things it's rediculous!

BrooksfamX2
09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
I am a manual transmission guy typically, but I have the auto in my 2005 Wrangler and like it. It makes it much easier for wheelin to quick shift and not worry about shifting down and slipping the clutch so not to spin the tires and lose traction.

Oh, ya...Rubicon all the way...........

mzimme
09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
If they still offerred the 4.0l inline 6, that would be the best motor but to the best of my knowledge it is no longer an option.
Good luck.

While the 4.0L is a great motor (I have one in my Jeep XJ), the new pentastar motor in the Jeeps is pretty great. You get better mileage, more power, and more torque on a non-antiquated motor. I wouldn't trade my 4.0l for anything in the XJ, but if I were to be looking at new vehicles, the 190hp and 215tq that the 4.0 offered is really outdated.

DJnGA
09-24-2012, 11:16 AM
I just bought a 2012 4 door Wrangler Sahara. Love it. New motor is much beter. I'm not going to put it in the mud any time soon so i went for the nicer one (leather, mygig entertainment) I put 2" lift and wheels and tires and it still drives great, 80Mph on interstate with no down shifting.

bdecker
09-24-2012, 04:19 PM
6 speed for sure, but I'm biased and would probably never buy the auto when the stick was an option.

I know in the TJ/LJ jeeps the rule of thumb I have heard with respect to Rubicon was less than 35" tires. Apparently if you are going to run bigger tires you need to replace a bunch of the Rubicon parts making it a waste.

I bought an older one (05 lj rubicon) and was glad to get the Rubi simply because I don't have the interest to modify it tremendously and it is incredibly capable stock. Then again, I don't know that I've gone anywhere a sport, Sahara, or base couldn't go yet... Good luck

jafo9
09-24-2012, 05:41 PM
its been a few years since i was researching the JK's heavily so this may not still be true. My understanding was that with the manual, you had to be careful not to shift while in the mud as it could get packed in the clutch housing and cause premature wear on your clutch. so basically pick your gear before you get in the muck. having said that, i was still only shopping manual trannies. i ended up with a land cruiser so in the end it didn't matter. if you are going to do lots of mods, save your coin and get the base or sahara. if you want out of the box capability and don't really plan to throw alot of money at mods, the rubi gets all the toys and a warranty.