PDA

View Full Version : prop rebuild

robin
09-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I just put my baby away for the winter. I took my prop off and it looks like it could use a rebuild. It is an Acme 541 cnc prop. There is a local prop place that states they have Acme pitch blocks for it and can rebuild it. What is everyone's opion? Send it to Acme for a factory rebuild, or use the local? Does anyone have recent experience with an Acme rebuild on quality or price?
thanks
robin

TRBenj
09-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Acme sends their props out- no such thing as a "factory rebuild". Ive had them do a prop for me and it came back fine... but no reason a competent local shop couldnt do the same.

dpcsar
09-21-2012, 02:58 PM
I had mine done locally. I used these guys. http://www.amprowelding.com/

My prop was really bad and need re-welding. He charged me $140. Not sure if that is high or not.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-21-2012, 03:27 PM
I had mine done locally. I used these guys. http://www.amprowelding.com/

My prop was really bad and need re-welding. He charged me $140. Not sure if that is high or not.

about avg repair price, I've had 2 redone over the years, 125 and 115, I guess it's all dependant on how much repair is needed.

bturner2
09-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Send it to Eric at OJ. They've done both of my brother in law's Acme props and they've turned out like new. It's not like you don't have the entire off season to get them back.

I'll be sending one to him in the next couple weeks. All part of the off season check list.

Nordicron
09-22-2012, 09:08 AM
If they've got the factory blocks just let them do it. As others have said ACME doesn't actually do the repairs either they send them down the street.

Also mine cost a min of $150 plus weld time. So my last one cost me $200 to repair but everything seems more expensive here in WI!

madcityskier
09-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Except great beer and cheese.

robin
09-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all the help. I will probably just send it my "local" shop. For the life of me I cant remember the shop's name. The are located in Angola, IN. They rebuilt my old OJ force4 a couple of times. I never thought to send it to Eric at OJ. I love Eric (in a plutonic way), and he has done a lot of customer service for me (strut, strut bearings, etc), but I think it would be weird sending him an Acme prop...