PDA

View Full Version : Grease starter shaft

jgraham37128
09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
I've noticed the manual says you need to grease the starter shaft every 50 hrs. Has anyone ever done this or feel it necessary?

I asked my Mastercraft dealer and he wasn't aware that it called for and he said he can't ever remember doing one.

JimN
09-20-2012, 08:51 PM
I've noticed the manual says you need to grease the starter shaft every 50 hrs. Has anyone ever done this or feel it necessary?

I asked my Mastercraft dealer and he wasn't aware that it called for and he said he can't ever remember doing one.

If your dealer had gone or sent someone to training, they would know this is recommended. It's in the effing manual and they didn't know about it? Nice! They might want to read this so they don't look so clueless.

Yeah, I'm being hard on your dealer but I worked for two of them and in all cases, customer service was the most important part of being a dealer.

jgraham37128
09-20-2012, 09:35 PM
My Dealer is great. I'm not here to bash them in anyway. He was just honest and upfront. I'm looking to see who else here does it?

mikeg205
09-20-2012, 10:07 PM
The PO on my '95 never had it done... I started doing it and I noticed a difference... Quieter when the starter engages...

GoneBoatN
09-21-2012, 12:37 AM
My dealer said don't bother greasing the starter at 50 hrs knowing that I change my own oil at that interval. Their thought is that it is enough to do it at the 100hr/Annual period which I take it to the dealer to perform.

Bouyhead
09-21-2012, 06:40 AM
^^^^^^^X2 I do it annually also. 96' PS 190 I'm on my second engine after a ton of hours and still have the original starter. And it's a salt water boat. Grease that shaft boys!

Thrall
09-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I'd say it's more important if the boat sits in the water or on a lift where the bilge never really dries out, but I got a buddy who's boat is on an open lift, nothing but the canvas cover over the boat for 5months a year and in 10years I don't recall him ever replacing a starter. Imperative if you're in salt water, but for someone who does day trips to the lake and the boat is dried out, basically sits bone dry over 300days/yr it is not necessary.
When is the last time you pulled the starter out of your car or truck and greased it? Never? And your vehicle sees alot of rain/snow/salt....right on the starter.

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I'd say it's more important if the boat sits in the water or on a lift where the bilge never really dries out, but I got a buddy who's boat is on an open lift, nothing but the canvas cover over the boat for 5months a year and in 10years I don't recall him ever replacing a starter. Imperative if you're in salt water, but for someone who does day trips to the lake and the boat is dried out, basically sits bone dry over 300days/yr it is not necessary.
When is the last time you pulled the starter out of your car or truck and greased it? Never? And your vehicle sees alot of rain/snow/salt....right on the starter.

Yeah I can agree with the above...but it gives ya another excuse to go to the man-cave... :D

03geetee
09-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Grease everything!

JTR

Thrall
09-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Yeah I can agree with the above...but it gives ya another excuse to go to the man-cave... :D

Haha I got enough projects that I don't need to be pulling starters off stuff that still works!

wheelerd
09-23-2012, 02:35 AM

I think you've nailed it. I've had 5 or 6 small block Chevy engines in vehicles and never once lubed the starter. And that's on vehicles that get started 2 or 3 times a day, every day -- summer, winter, rain, snow. There are lots of things in owner's manuals which are there more as butt-covering for the manufacturer than actual necessary maintenance items. Isn't there something about not polishing the pop-up cleats so that the reflected sunlight doesn't blind other drivers? :D