PDA

View Full Version : Ever replaced one of these???

shepherd
09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
OK, this is my new go-to place for repair/maintenance advice. Anybody ever change one of these circulation pump pulleys??? As you can see, it's fairly rustly. I'd like to replace it with a nice new shiny one if it's not too complicated. But, I assume it's more than just pulling the four or five bolts on the front and removing/replacing it. Or maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks again for your help.

redmike
09-04-2005, 10:00 PM
well, I can't see, but if it the pulley I am thinking of, yes you just pull the belt, pull the bolts, switch pulley, put bolts back in and replace the belt. a pic would help though

shepherd
09-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Oops, here you go... :o
I guess the best thing to do is just pull the bolts and see if she slips off.

Jayc
09-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Took mine off this season to clean off the rust. Yes it just unbolts and a tap with a mallet if its stuck.

Lance
09-05-2005, 07:37 AM
I would think it would be just as you describe (loosen 4 bolts and remove). The prerequisite would be to have loosened the belt by losening the two alternator mounting bolts to let it swing in to loosen the belt.

I have never done this but I wouldn't think there would be anything too tricky to this.

shepherd
09-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys. I gues it was a stupid question. I should have just took off the bolts and tried it but I was feeling lazy -- I'll blame the rum :cool: I suspect I'll have to take a mallet to it to knock it loose though, like Jayc said.

milkmania
09-05-2005, 05:47 PM
it'd be just like thaking the pully off the old chevy truck...except there's no fan.

looking at that pulley......it looks like a good candidate for the glass bead cabinet and powder coat oven:confused:

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_coat.htm

bucky
09-05-2005, 09:00 PM
The only thing I can add is don't get too wild with the mallet. Those pulleys are suprisingly thin and bendable.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
If a powdercoater would do the job and mask off the grooves for the pulley you have premenant fix. And yes they bend very easy, especially when they are beginning to corrode.

There are no stupid questions, the only stupid part would be not to ask at all, or break something and then ask why it broke. Better to check before hand.