PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Dodge Ram - giving it a try

bobx1
09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
A little background.

Purchased new 4x4 Chevy Suburban in 1996. I hunt in some rather rough areas (mud wise) and thought this vehicle would serve the family needs and my hunting/tow needs. Decent vehicle but start to rattle pretty bad after two hunting seasons and after all the mud getting inside, I decided a truck was for me.

Purchased a new F250 Crew 4x4 Diesel in 1999 and what a great truck it was. Solid engine, solid build, decent mileage and diesel was CHEAP. Gave it to son number 1 after it hit 120K miles in 4 years.

Since the truck was still in the family, I purchased a new Expedition with the idea of using the truck during hunting season. This vehicle is still in the family and running strong.

2 years later, gave the Expedition to son #1 and purchased a new 2006 F250 Crew 4x4 diesel. Truck was stolen and they found it trashed. Purchased a new 2007 version of the same truck. Gave this truck to son #2 and he still has it but starting to have injector issues, AC issues, and the 4wd will not auto-engage.

When I gave the 2007 F250 to son #2, I purchased a new 2009 F150 4x4 King Ranch Crew. Extremely nice truck for the first 60K mile and now things have gone to crap since February of this year (it is out of warranty due to mileage). Power Steering pump replaced, rack and pinion assembly replaced, AC blower replaced, and the Evap started leaking freon which required 10 hours of labor to pull the entire dash out. Now the compressor is out and it was also suggested the condensor/filter be replaced at the same time. So I have spent close to $5K in 6 months and the dealer has been none to helpful.

I was a Ford fan for close to 15 years but have decided to give the new 2013 Ram a try. Just ordered a 2013 4x4 Laramie Crew. There have been some major upgrades to the 2013 Ram and excited to see if this truck works out.

Skyskiguy
09-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Do you need another son? - I'm available!

LTWon
09-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. I am starting to look into replacing my car with a truck. I have it narrowed down to either a GMC Sierra or the Dodge Ram. I am a GM guy however the Ram is a nice looking truck. Let me know your thoughts on the Ram when you get it.

76S&S
09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm currently have a F350 as my tow vehicle. It's been a good truck but I often have it maxed out (GCVW) and that always worries me. I've pretty much decided that my next truck will be a F650 with a CAT. But that will have to wait until I get the wife a new vehicle.

Sullivan
09-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I have a 2012 3500 and love it! Best truck I have ever had. Solid, feels like a high end luxury car for quality.

Aric'sX15
09-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Get ready to have more issues! Went from a dodge ram to the new silverado and never have had a problem. Dodge on the other hand, fell to pieces. Dash cracks, horrible engine (5.7 hemi), and not to mention the worst gas mileage ever. Hope you don't have the same problems with the 2013!

Sullivan
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I had an 04 Dodge Ram and 11 Ford Superduty. The Ford fell apart and made me want my old Dodge back. My 04 Dodge was rock solid. Cummins

Thrall
09-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Every car mfg/model has their issues, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Ram whether it's a Hemi or a diesel.

mikeg205
09-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Every car mfg/model has their issues, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Ram whether it's a Hemi or a diesel.

ooooo....MC is held to a higher standard.....just sayin' ;)

milkmania
09-19-2012, 11:23 PM
my son's 04 Dodge Ram SWB was the biggest POS I've ever seen :twocents:

bnixon
09-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I have had Multiple Chevy and Dodge trucks. The are both fine vehicles with different characteristics. The Chevy seemed to always have a softer ride, tend to wonder on the road slightly and seemed to have less power where as the Dodge seemed to have a much tighter feel though a rougher ride and a little more grunt. (Gas Models). I think the trans and gears had something to do with it. My 3/4 ton dodge with cummins could pull a house! It was still running strong at over 300,000 miles. I should have just kept it but that was when diesel fuel prices went sky high! Just my observations having owned several versions of both.

The new Dodge trucks are really nice and the new rear suspension helps the ride significantly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Millertime
09-20-2012, 02:08 PM
I have a 2011 1500 with 50K km on it and it's been great, I've added airbags to the back end as it was a little soft when loaded or even hooked to the boat. But it pulles great.
I'm curious what changes have they made since 2011?

Sullivan
09-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Mainly interior updates.

bobx1
09-21-2012, 01:40 PM
This is a pretty good list of the changes:

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2013-ram.html

Note that I am getting the 6 speed Hemi and not the 8 speed (which has the transmission knob shift) as the 8sp is not available until early next year.

While I have purchased/ordered the vehicle, I have not drank the Kool Aid yet. Hopefully I will love the truck but only time will tell. I purchased a used 1500 RAM a few years ago for son #2's first vehicle and we did not have any issues with it at all (it had over 100K in mileage and was a stripped down 2wd version).

I was a Ford man and may very well go back to Ford (or GMC/Chevy) but going to give this one a shot.

P.S. I did attempt to check out the GMC Denail 4x4 Crew but the closest dealer with one in stock was close to 100 miles away.

Millertime
09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the link. Looks like they fixed the only issue I had with the truck, auto air suspension. Does your new truck have that, is it an option, how much?

bobx1
09-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the link. Looks like they fixed the only issue I had with the truck, auto air suspension. Does your new truck have that, is it an option, how much?

Yes, it has the air suspension option. MSRP (hold onto your hat) for that option is $1595. Taking the discount into consideration, it is not too terribly bad compared to an aftermarket system (with labor to install). Of course, the suspension has the factory warranty along with the installed parameter controls (it can supposedly auto lower at certain highway speeds, it will auto inflate to certain heights when in 4wd, even higher in 4 low, I think has some higher manual controls, and can also lower an additional 2" via the key fob when it is parked - or so I have been told).

Millertime
09-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I just watched a video on u tube about it, very cool. $1600 isnt bad at all. I paid $600 just for manual airbags in the rear.
I want a new truck now, or atleast before next years boating season.