PDA

View Full Version : Help: 2004 X-Star lost steering

jjct1
09-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Odd problem with my X-Star yesterday. We were out on the lake yesterday driving around on a scenic cruise after wakesurfing. I started back across the lake for home at around 25mph. While on plane I suddenly noticed that I could not turn to the port side even with the wheel all the way over (starboard steering worked). I came off plane and was able to somewhat steer at speeds up to 8 to 10mph. Going any faster and I lost steering. Opening the engine compartment, I could see the steering cable going into the box that moved the rudder, it looks like it was functioning correctly. I limped to boat home and back on my lift. I then climbed under the boat to check it out, everything looked good. The rudder seemed fine, I had my wife turn the wheel and I held onto the rudder, it had no give and turned as I expected it. The propeller looked normal, it didn't appear that I hit anything. I am not sure what is wrong, the only thing we can think of is that I picked up some debris on the rudder which I ended up losing when backing up before going on the lift.

Any other ideas?

jjct1
09-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Ok, had a little more time to investigate this weekend. There is definitely a problem with the steering. At anything over idle, when the wheel is turned the brass looking arm that connects to the rudder only travels half way (at idle steering works as expected and the arm travels anothe couple inches). I tried to follow the steering as it goes further forward. There is a rod attached to that arm that comes out of a shaft, where that shaft ends (which is almost under the engine) I noticed the coupler can travel in all directions (up, down, left, right). Not sure if it is supposed to be attached to something to stop it from going up? I snapped a picture of it below. What else could it be? The 2004 didn't have power steering option?

deminimis
09-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Just a guess, but is it possible the pitman arm slipped on the rudder? If that happened, you could turn one way, but the steering would stop before you were able to turn the rudder the the other way to full lock. Again, just a guess.

G-Star
09-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Another thought... if the steering cable has broken (or somehow internally compromised) it could theoretically "push" on the tiller arm, but not "pull" on it if there is any resistance (from water force above idle speed). I dunno... :confused:

Capt. Jack
09-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, you would think if the rudder slipped it could come about and hit the prop. Can you hook up the fresh water hose and see if it turns in the driveway.

jjct1
10-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks all for the replies. We figured it out this weekend by tracing the path of the steering under the engine. Turns out, the bolt that screwed in to the far right end of the threads in the picture came completely off. Reattaching it fixed the problem, was able to wakesurf this weekend :-)