PDA

View Full Version : Gas In Tank

Lucky26
09-17-2012, 05:14 PM
According to MC manual and Ilmor manual, the tank should be 95 % full for winter layup. How many of you fill it that much? I am thinking about leaving gas in it that is already treated then drain tank manually in spring and start new. Thoughts?

carlsonwa
09-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I top mine off in the winter, treat the full tank, and burn through it in the spring with no problem.

snork
09-17-2012, 05:37 PM
fill er up

EricB
09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Agree with the fill-up. Leaves little-to-no room for moisture to form. Gas degrades, but not nearly as fast when cool/cold vs. hot summer temps.

east tx skier
09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't think it makes much of a difference. I used to fill it up, but based on the advice of a trusted marine mechanic, I treat what's leftover at the end of the season, add fuel stabilizer, run it to winterize, and fill it up with fresh fuel in the spring. No issues with condensation either way.

Legolamb
09-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey East tx skier, is your gas an ethanol blend (10%)? All our gas around Chicago is blended, and that tends to cause problems with moisture.

mikeg205
09-17-2012, 08:24 PM
I do the same as EastTx...no moisture -problems...I throw in seafoam... if you find some moisture...you can always throw in some iso-heet. Seafoam usually does the trick for me...I always add some octane boost and top off with premium...in fact always put in premium..boat goes weeks without running many times...

ted shred
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Add stabilizer and fill up.

east tx skier
09-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Hey East tx skier, is your gas an ethanol blend (10%)? All our gas around Chicago is blended, and that tends to cause problems with moisture.

Yes, we have been 10% for a while.

Cmpdman
09-18-2012, 06:37 AM
We fill it up, add marine stabilizer (Marine Stabil), run - to winterize and then burn the gas off in the spring. Haven't had a problem with the last 4 boats. We've used 10% ethanol for a few years & have not had any issues.

quincyfirefighter
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't think it makes much of a difference. I used to fill it up, but based on the advice of a trusted marine mechanic, I treat what's leftover at the end of the season, add fuel stabilizer, run it to winterize, and fill it up with fresh fuel in the spring. No issues with condensation either way.

Same here ;)

Thrall
09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
I always try to leave the tank low, treat what's left with Seafoam or Stabil (now there's ethanol specific stuff, guess it's regular stuff with some Heet in it to disperse the add'l water that ethanol attracts) and run it with stabilized fuel for a bit to get it thru the EFI system.
The thought behind a full tank is to minimize condensation, but that is less of a concern with the plastic fuel tanks now than metal tanks used to be.
Last yr though against my better judgement I put the boat up with 25-30gal in it. Treated it the same way, topped it off this spring at it ran fine. 8-9month layup.
The most important part IMO is don't leave un-treated fuel sit in the fuel system to varnish up.

Jorski
09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I've done it both ways...no difference. Always use Stabil and it has fired up right away in the spring.

mzimme
09-19-2012, 04:31 PM
When you guys treat the fuel that's in the tank... do you also run the treated fuel through the motor for a little while to be sure that all the components of the fuel system have "treated fuel" in them?

GT500 MC
09-19-2012, 04:36 PM
When you guys treat the fuel that's in the tank... do you also run the treated fuel through the motor for a little while to be sure that all the components of the fuel system have "treated fuel" in them?

That's what I do. Before my last day out, I fill up, add the Stabil or whatever treatment I'm using, then run it for a couple of hours. It's through the whole system then. Don't know if it's necessary but has worked for the past 3 years.

mzimme
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
It's sad to think that the season is almost over. :( My first summer with an MC flew by....

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes also I run the treated fuel through the system.

PA Prostar
09-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Yes. First thing is to add treatment - then top off tank with gas - then run engine to temp to drain oil etc. Treatment also gets mixed around while driving home from the gas station.

ski_king
09-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Yes, add Stabil to the gas before heating up the engine when winterizing. That way the fuel in the line and most importantly carb or injection system will be treated to preven the varnish buildup.

I added Stabil and Seafoam to mine this year.

JJN
09-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I have done it both way for 15 yrs......no difference. Currently at $4.10 a gallon, empty it'll be. I will roll the dice and hope it comes down next spring.

ski_king
09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
I have done it both way for 15 yrs......no difference. Currently at $4.10 a gallon, empty it'll be. I will roll the dice and hope it comes down next spring.

I have done both ways as well on mine for 30 years. And agreed that it will go into storage this year with less than a quarter tank. I am taking the bet that gas will be less expensive when I get it out in the spring.

CantRepeat
09-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Always fill up before winter storage. I figure it can't hurt.

GT500 MC
09-19-2012, 04:55 PM
I fill-up before winter too. Not into gas futures. I also have a job now so I know I can afford it. Never know next spring....:rolleyes:

mcparadise
09-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Great storage tank for running the generator when the power goes out due to no ships coming to the islands, which may well happen someday. See the movie Battleship.

onewheat
09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Again - less condensation buildup, which IS more of a big deal on metal tanks. Water = rust in the tank. If you have 10 gallons and get some condensation, you just dilute it by adding another 25 at the start of next season or add some Heet. I do typically store mine full though - not sure if it is really necessary, but old habits die hard.

PointTaken
09-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Always fill mine up before putting it away. Not sure if it's necessary, but mines been trouble free for 21years.

atlfootr
09-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Runn'n non-ethanol gas year round, no winterization here.
If any of you guys experience withdraws in the upcoming months, come on down South for sum pulls :D

briggle2
09-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I hate you...

ski_king
09-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Great storage tank for running the generator when the power goes out due to no ships coming to the islands, which may well happen someday. See the movie Battleship.

Don't tell me you winterize your boat in Hawaii?

BrooksfamX2
09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
............ I treat what's leftover at the end of the season, add fuel stabilizer, run it to winterize, and fill it up with fresh fuel in the spring. No issues with condensation either way.

My routine also for 20 years.......stored in garage, never below 50 degrees.

Legolamb
09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah, but you guys don't get to snowmobile.