PDA

View Full Version : Test drove the 93 maristar today, it has a rear main seal leak now What ???

john jones
09-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Ok here is the update. This boat is nice, great condition drives well steers well. A few minior upholstery issues. Trailer is perfect. It has been stored inside its whole life.

The only bummer is.... We took it for a test drive today. it appears that the rear main seal is leaking. i noticed there was oil running down the plate infront of the transmission. We wiped it off took it for another run. Oil appeared again on the plate.

my question is how hard is it. Do you have to pull the motor? To have it done at a dealer how much does it cost?

The owner is a standup guy. He was bummed like I was. He said he will get it fixed, and wants me to call the mechanic so I can talk to him. I told him thats how it goes when it has 250 hours and sat for 2 years (his wife died and he hasn't used it since)

any advice is appreciated.

Cloaked
09-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Ok here is the update. This boat is nice, great condition drives well steers well. A few minior upholstery issues. Trailer is perfect. It has been stored inside its whole life.

The only bummer is.... We took it for a test drive today. it appears that the rear main seal is leaking. i noticed there was oil running down the plate infront of the transmission. We wiped it off took it for another run. Oil appeared again on the plate.

my question is how hard is it. Do you have to pull the motor? To have it done at a dealer how much does it cost?

The owner is a standup guy. He was bummed like I was. He said he will get it fixed, and wants me to call the mechanic so I can talk to him. I told him thats how it goes when it has 250 hours and sat for 2 years (his wife died and he hasn't used it since)

any advice is appreciated.Best of luck. If the guy is going to make it right, he's obviously good to work with. I'd consider paying the asking price and have a new install. I would not expect to have to pay more for the seller to recoup his money for repairs.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-16-2012, 10:48 PM
^ this or negotiate $1500 off the price for repairs and do it yourself a direct drive transmission is easy to remove to replace the rear main seal, its literally less than $50 in parts if the damper plate is good and a weekend job doing it slow with basis hand tools, doing the repairs myself is what I would do.

sp00ky
09-17-2012, 12:09 AM
^ this or negotiate $1500 off the price for repairs and do it yourself a direct drive transmission is easy to remove to replace the rear main seal, its literally less than $50 in parts if the damper plate is good and a weekend job doing it slow with basis hand tools, doing the repairs myself is what I would do.

Yep it's fairly easy I replaced mine last year on my 1994 205. I'm not that mechanically talented but tackle DIY a lot.