PDA

View Full Version : Oil change after fogging

eddyb
09-16-2012, 10:05 AM
If I fog through the spark plugs (like I have done since I got my x10 a couple of years ago) how important is it change the oil again in the spring if I just changed it in the fall?

Thanks Ed

mikeg205
09-16-2012, 10:21 AM
I change my oil in the fall and then I spin the engine around a couple times with safety lanyard off (and yes water running to impeller - or impeller removed). Acids build up while engine running - additives in oil such as calcium neutralize the acids. Draining away all the used oil and contaminants I IMO is a good idea to let your engine over-winter with fresh oil. Also and moisture that gets in the oil will also be drained away.

onewheat
09-16-2012, 10:52 AM
If I fog through the spark plugs (like I have done since I got my x10 a couple of years ago) how important is it change the oil again in the spring if I just changed it in the fall?

Thanks Ed

If you changed it in the fall, you'll be fine in the spring without changing it again in the spring. The key is, get the dirty oil out in the fall. You still have clean oil in the spring, so run it for 50 hours in the spring and then change it. No sense in draining clean oil back out, right?

mikeg205
09-16-2012, 11:58 AM
When I am done winterizing.. iin the spring .all I have to do make sure battery charged..hook up the hose and see if she starts in the driveway...if so... its away we go to the water... :D

eddyb
09-16-2012, 04:30 PM
do i have to worry about fogging oil in the engine oil like so people have posted

mikeg205
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I fog thru the TBI intake and call it a season... I get to store my boat in my garage so it doesn't get moisture like if it was stored outside....If I had to store outside...I would probably pull plugs and fog each cylinder...but that's just me and my OCD MC... :D

onewheat
09-17-2012, 12:39 AM
do i have to worry about fogging oil in the engine oil like so people have posted

I can't think of any reason why fogging oil would mix with your engine oil unless your rings were completely shot. Even if some did get in, I can't think of a reason that it would hurt anything. The amount of oil that actually is sprayed into the cylinder in a mist is minimal in comparison with the 5 quarts in the oil pan.

mikeg205
09-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Here's a great check list.... link from EastTxskier... Click Here (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6)

Trout
09-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Provided your piston rings are sound and your boat does not belch smoke when you run it.

Fogging oil should not make it into the lower part of the pistons and into the oil pan!

Key there is it should not!

88 PS190
10-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Also for how much you need per piston, even if every ounce ran down into the oil, I do not think the oil would notice much.

What with all the people out there dumping tons of additives into their crank case, the engine won't notice.