PDA

View Full Version : Vibration - rudder? (prop, shaft, strut all replaced)

fbroen
09-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Hit a submerged log with our 08 XStar and bent the prop slightly and also the strut some.

Dealer has replaced prop, strut, and shaft (shaft just to eliminate that as source of vibration) and aligned the engine.

Vibration is better, but not gone.

I noticed today that rudder has a little bit of side to side play in it -- could play in the rudder log cause noticeable vibration? And what is the best way to check?

Any other ideas as to what could cause vibration? Hopping to solve vibration issue and stop bolting on shiny new pieces soon...

skishack90
09-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Hey,

I did the same exact thing in my '08 prostar on the river when I was living in Mississippi. We replaced all the parts that you mentioned, but after doing water tests with the new hardware, the boat was still vibrating excessively.

It turned out to be the damper plate. It had gotten bent out of shape somehow. Anyway, the guys at Bennett's (best mechanics in the industry) worked on it and were able to tone done the vibration to a level that is now hardly noticeable. Even with a new damper plate, the boat has never been as smooth as it once was, but after a few outings, it will seem to be the norm for the boat and you will forget about it. But of course, that is only if you are having the same problem that I had/have.

It is a pain in the a**, but get them to check the damper plate. They will pretty much have to take apart your engine, which is easier to do in a prostar than an x-star. Let me know what they say.

ttu
09-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Hit a submerged log with our 08 XStar and bent the prop slightly and also the strut some.

Dealer has replaced prop, strut, and shaft (shaft just to eliminate that as source of vibration) and aligned the engine.

Vibration is better, but not gone.

I noticed today that rudder has a little bit of side to side play in it -- could play in the rudder log cause noticeable vibration? And what is the best way to check?

Any other ideas as to what could cause vibration? Hopping to solve vibration issue and stop bolting on shiny new pieces soon...

is your rudder leaking at all? i had to replace the rudder seal when i had a steady steam of water coming thru there. also had some play in the rudder.

mikeg205
09-16-2012, 11:31 AM
You can get some vibration from rudder if it's no longer snug. On my '95 if I cranked the rudder all the way left or right I get some vibration when I give throttle...When I grease it up it almost completely goes away. I would take a look at the rudder shaft assembly to make sure nothing is damaged or bent.

Not sure how a damper plate would get bent..yikes.. but you have to pull trans...yuck...

93Prostar190
09-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Pardon my ignorance if I say something dumb here ... but I believe your X-Star has tracking fins? (I am a Prostar guy, so I am used to seeing them down there.)

IF so ... check those as well ...

As far as the rudder goes .. .sometimes the seal goes bad, but you should also make sure there is grease in the fittings for the rudder .... a little "play" is fairly normal on these boats ... .but only a little.... best of luck!

fbroen
09-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Thx guys for all your advice.

Ran the boat again this morning to check if vibrations got better or worse under hard turn. They get noticeably worse under sharp turn while getting on the plane.

Once on plane, vibrations are not bad. Idle and slower speeds fine. Getting out of the hole -- not so great.

Rudder is not leaking and I checked other boats at dealer today -- play seems no worse than other boats on the lot -- all seemed to have some movement.

The hit wasn't very hard, so a damper plate would be a bummer and a really bad surprise! :eek:

For what it's worth, viobrations seem way worse around back than towards tranny end of things. I put my hand on rudder assembly and backing plate to strut and those seemed more affected by vibration than shaft log and transmission.

Saw a suggestion somewhere to remove prop and run up the rpms while in the water, to rule out all things other than prop -- but this would of course not put any load on the line, which is when the vibrations show up... :confused:

petermegan
09-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Just wondered whether you have a coincidence with a slight miss in your motor happening after replacing all your hardware. Just a thought as it happens under load? No chance of engine moving in mounts on the turn? Just throwing wierd ideas at you. Have fun.

skishack90
09-17-2012, 09:27 AM
If it was not a hard hit, it probably is not the damper plate. We hit a log going about 28 mph and it stopped us dead in our tracks. It was awful!

I don't have any other ideas as to what it might be other than what has been mentioned. Did they put new packing in the stuffing box?

jmw
09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
My prop repair guy has told me he has seen new props that were not balanced properly and that could/would cause a vibration. I would borrow a prop and see if that fixes your problem or as mentioned above run the boat without a prop just to check.

fbroen
09-17-2012, 09:48 PM
BINGO! Test drove the boat today and all is well.

Unfortunately, I don't have a definitive answer for you all on whether it was prop, or rudder, or a combo. Today's smooth run was with a different new prop and the rudder tightened up a bit. There still is some small amount of play in the rudder, so my money is on the prop.

Either way, super happy to be back to 100%.

Thank you all for your insights and help.

mikeg205
09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
great!!! good to read...