PDA

View Full Version : 87 ps190 tank pickup hose length

Razzys Wagon
09-15-2012, 05:47 PM
hi all, new to the boat scene,just got mine last week,87 ps 190 with 690 hrs on it, anyway, the previous owner was having issues with getting trash in the carb so they pulled the pickup hose out and shortened it.
problem is they cut too much off of it. if it gets below 1/2 tank it will run out of gas in the carb for a few seconds,spit and sputter and when the boat sits level a second or so it will pick up and take right off again.

going out to remove the tank as soon as i get this posted and see what i am working with. if its full of crud then out it comes and a complete cleaning with follow suit. but i do not know how long to make the pickup hose once i get all this fixed.

hope you guys can help!!!!

Thanks,
Mark

Razzys Wagon
09-15-2012, 07:34 PM
ok, pulled the pickup hose out and it has not been cut,it still has the crimped on end,a weight with a hole in it i guess. now upon inspecting it there was no crud in the tank that i could see and no crud/buildup on the end of the pick up hose,i then went to the front and started at the carb inlet and took the feed line loose and no gas came out,strange i thought, so i loosened it at the pump and the feed line was empty to the carb,not even a drip. i just took it out the water 2 hours before i started all this......i would think it should have at least a drip or 4,anyway, took the filter off the carb and its clean, took the feed hose from the tank off the pump and free flow was great,surprised me actually, and no gas came out the pump, so i took the pump off the engine and tilted it and got about 1.5-2 oz. of gas out of it. i didnt think this was right so i got a pump and put it on,im gonna let sit about 2 hours and see how much is in the line to the carb. i hope it will be full.:cool:

now, i am into f. injection on the automotive side with aftermarket systems like FAST, big stuff, megasquirt, to name a few, it has been a few years for me with a carb, but im not totally in left field on this by no means,just the marine specifics are getting to me,lol....anyway i hope someone with more marine experience than i can chime in and shed some light on this issue.....:D

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Coast guard doesn't permit fuel to stay pressurized in the fuel lines.

Razzys Wagon
09-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Ok,so all gas will drain back through the pump,into the feed line from the tank.....ok,told you i didnt know anything about marine stuff...lol.

When i got it from the guy he said if it gets below 1/2 tank it will stumble when you turn hard,because the pickup was shortened by the previous guy he got it from,but it looks uncut. Should there be a check valve on the pickup tube? I could blow through both ways....

Voodoo
09-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Affirm...there is a check valve atop the tank with a spring loaded BB inside. Earlier this year I took mine off and cleaned it up -- it was full of gunk.

Voodoo

Razzys Wagon
09-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Ok,theres one problem, where would be a good place to get a new pickup assembly from? I have no idea where to start looking......

Thanks for input guys,it helps a lot....trust me on this.....lol

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-15-2012, 11:26 PM
http://www.skidim.com/ has a lot of parts for these older boats, also check with http://www.bayareawatersports.com/ very knowledgeable...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-15-2012, 11:29 PM
By the way boats must use A1 type fuel hose which is marine rated...

Cloaked
09-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok,theres one problem, where would be a good place to get a new pickup assembly from? I have no idea where to start looking......

Thanks for input guys,it helps a lot....trust me on this.....lol
How about posting a photo of the current assembly. If it is the one I have encountered several times, you'll have to resort to the OEM supplier. Discount Inboard Marine did not have that assembly and I have not found it elsewhere, other than the original supplier / manufacturer. I replaced a new assembly just last year in an 85 model.

Your mileage may vary

Razzys Wagon
09-15-2012, 11:42 PM
will do tomorrow, its just a simple 90 degree elbow with a hose crimped to it, i have it reassembled right now but it looks externally like the one in this thread, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43030&highlight=tank+pickup+hose

on page 2,just mine is pointing to the right as your looking to the backof the boat is all.....

how would i find out who the original supplier was for that boat?:confused:

Razzys Wagon
09-15-2012, 11:46 PM
By the way boats must use A1 type fuel hose which is marine rated...

yea, glad you let me know,but i haven't found any bad hose as of yet. that i can find.

88 PS190
09-16-2012, 10:59 AM
going out to remove the tank as soon as i get this posted and see what i am working with. if its full of crud then out it comes and a complete cleaning with follow suit. but i do not know how long to make the pickup hose once i get all this fixed.
Mark

I had mine out this summer - didn't measure length, but I do have a tip for you.

Hold it up next to the tank approximating how long it is, compared to the plastic of the tank.

That should let you know how much to add.

Mine has a spring inside, the spring was full of crud - which is what caused the running issue, otherwise the crap gets caught by the racor 110, the fuel pump filter, or the carb screen. And personally I've never seen it get past the racor 110.

Go back to your pick up, there is a crimp at the top where the rubber goes into the pick up, this isn't regular fuel line, it is more like tygon or silicone, or urethane, not sure which, that spring is important.

Also to me, if you want to improve upon this factory design, you could probably extend the tube towards the bottom by shoving some tube into the weight with holes drilled in it

Razzys Wagon
09-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Yea, i held it up to the tank and it was long enough to go to the bottom and then lay out about 3-4 inches at the bottom of the tank,but i didnt see this check valve.... I remove it again and double check it...

Razzys Wagon
09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
ok, here is a pic of the pickup hose,it is tygon....i dont think its been shortened...

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv75/razzyswagon/IMAG0399.jpg

and heres my problem......

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv75/razzyswagon/IMAG0398.jpg

and after...

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv75/razzyswagon/IMAG0400.jpg

but upon re-assembly i rung off the check vlave in the pickup....:( but i got it out and shortened the spring and put it back in the nipple, not much thread left to work with, re-tapped the pickup to get ot the end that rung off because it would not budge with an easy out, lightly ground the nipple thread to take off some diameter so it would thread in,being pipe thread it was larger next to the hex than at the tip. put some thread sealant on it and screwed it back together.

struck out to the lake and it run like a champ, half a tank and done about 5 30mph hard turns and no sputter at all.

but i had to reset the rear float level in the carb as it was dripping gas out the rear ventures(sp?) while it was running. i think it was doing that when i got it because it cranks much better now than it ever has.

man i am glad i got on the site!!! the knowledge is everywhere :cool:

Razzys Wagon
09-16-2012, 05:48 PM
here is a shot of us on the lake yesterday before we had problems....

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv75/razzyswagon/IMAG0396.jpg

Razzys Wagon
09-16-2012, 05:54 PM
now can i get that check valve from skidim.com?

Cloaked
09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I had a 93 model with a different configurration and to me a much better setup than is your configuration. I've seen yours on a lot of the older machines.

If you're not happy, call the OEM and order a newer configuration. It's a more rigid pickup tube and a different installation. Goes directly to the bottom of the fuel cell and dose not have the extra length. You'll need to cut a bit out of your fuel cell to make it fit but that is no big deal. The part itself will act as a fool-proof template. I just put the newer design in a fuel cell this past spring, also accommodating with a new fuel level sending unit. Your cell should come out easily enough (aside from the filler hose). For me, I'd also order a new filler hose and not fool with the old hard and pain in the as_s hose. Cut the old one out and forget about the work in removing it properly for reuse.

Forget about the check valve. I typically remove them from all of the older machines that I have owned. Your mileage may vary.

While you're there, order a new fuel pump as a spare. They always go out on a Friday afternoon. I think you have the 351 PCM? Or Indmar? I have not dealt with the 88 - 89 models to know for sure...

$0.02

Razzys Wagon
09-16-2012, 06:21 PM
its an indmar, and i have to get another spare,just put my spare on yesterday because i didnt know the age of the one that was on it. now i know....

thanks for the heads up, i got a spare impeller for the raw water pump,now im gonna get a f.pump and another starter......just in case....lol

88 PS190
09-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Glad that helped it.

Here's another view of what I ran into.

http://i45.tinypic.com/iefjao.jpg

The tygon tube has a coil spring in mine to make it stiffer. Mine was ALL kinds of packed with the same sort of stuff yours was, so I separated mine at the crimp by pulling the rubber tube out, and then pulled and cleaned out the spring.

Razzys Wagon
09-18-2012, 08:51 PM
I think it is gone already cause mine would bend right over like a wet noodle.....easily kinked by accident....

Razzys Wagon
09-18-2012, 08:55 PM
i think...........

Cloaked
09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
i think...........
You may want to reconsider the newer configuration. Jsut cut a small opening to fit in the top of the fuel cell and install. Worked very well on my 93.

Razzys Wagon
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
One question on the newer one,is that a return line that is plugged off beside the pickup? If so that would be great for my F.I. conversion later in the winter.....

By the way, how much gas do you guys leave in the carbed boats over the winter?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-21-2012, 11:22 AM
One question on the newer one,is that a return line that is plugged off beside the pickup? If so that would be great for my F.I. conversion later in the winter.....

By the way, how much gas do you guys leave in the carbed boats over the winter?

see http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50932

rjracin240
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
You may want to reconsider the newer configuration. Jsut cut a small opening to fit in the top of the fuel cell and install. Worked very well on my 93.

Heard a lot about the OEM fo these tanks in this thread.......however did not see anyone say who the OEM is!

Need to address my old tank, fuel pickup, and fuel sender issues as well, looks like a nice set-up in picture