PDA

View Full Version : Bees!

Thrall
09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
After repeated requests in another thread, here goes.
Warning this pales by comaprison to Kyle's wasps. This is just more of a "hey hold my beer and watch this."

New place last yr here in WA and for those that have never been to the Pac NW, sh!t GROWS here! Rest of the country pales by comparison,I don't care how thick you think your woods are back home. By July you cannot see more than 3' into the woods form the side of a road........anywhere. Biggest culprits are blackberry bushes. These things will literally take over an un maintained field in about 2-3 years..........like solid 10' tall wall of thorns.
Well I was doing my part to keep them at bay around the fence line because in less than 1 year they were into the yard and literally destroying the fence, just smashing it to the ground.
Going apesh!t with a weed wacker with a skilsaw blade mounted to the bottom, felt like I was getting hit with more blackberry shrapnel than average when I realized they were't thorns, but BEES! I'd tapped into a monstrous beehive, like the size of a beach ball, only about 3' beyond the fence line, but completely invisible until the weedwacker took out a swath of foliage.
I took off runnin across the yard, weed eater laying right where i dropped it, still running, had 6-8-10 bee stings.
Okay, no big deal, but the kids got nailed a couple times, I got chased off the mower one day. Same thing, left it there running, took off screamin across the back yard.

One night me and a buddy, Shawn were about a 12ver deep each and decided the bees had to die. What better time since "they can't fly at night", right?
Thought we'd knock the hive down, so hooked a couple pieces of PVC together and tried to use it like a big cue stick on top of the fence to knock it down. Well the hive was so inter twined in the balck berries and brush that all it did was poke a couple holes in it and piss of the beees and apparently some can fly.
Took a couple hi speed trips across the yard, flip flops flyin off, Shawn was screamin like a little girl because the bees chasin him were faster than he was and could keep up!

Sat down, re-grouped, killed a couple more cold ones and devised a plan.
Decided we were going to torch the hive. No fire danger here remember. In July you couldn't start a forest fire with a truckload of old tires and an oil tanker.
Thought it would be best to really get something burning on the hive, so soaked a towel until it was dripping with gas, taped a match to the end of the pvc stick, tossed the towel on top of the hive, and lit it up! Burned good for a couple minutes, bees coming out, but then it died. All that did was burn up a perfectly good boat towel and p!ss off the bees even more. Hive was charred on top, but fully in tact.

At this point I'm tired of doing wind sprints across the lawn with bees in tow. Couple of them caught up to Shawn and stung his @ss. I'm done. Bees 1, Thrall 0.
Shawn wasn't giving up the fight that easy, of course he had some revenge to exact seeing as he just got stung, so we sit back down and plan our attack over a couple more beers.

Bees are pretty riled up now. Been poked at, attempted arson, they're upset. Can see a few of them hanging around the flood light on the shop, 100yds from the hive. Think they were planning their attack too!

We decided that there obviously wasn't enough flammable liqid involved the first go round. I brought up using a molitof cocktail so we could asassinate them from a safe distance, but that wouldn't work. Bee hive too soft to break a bottle.
Shawn says "Hey I'll just go dump gas on them then you run up and light it." I said, no, that's a dumb idea, we'll both get stung and probably burnt to a crisp.
After a little more thinkin and another beer we had a fool proof plan!
Shawn goes to his pickup and gets out his winter Carharrt bibs, rain coat, boots, stocking cap, welding gloves, a bandana and ski goggles. While he's gearing up for the attack I go grab a leftover pack of roman candles and a lighter.

Gas can in hand, Shawn leads the way, says "I'll dump gas on the hive for 2 sec and then you light the roman candle and torch it." Okay, seems a little dangerous, but like i said, you're not going to start a forest fire here, even if you try, really hard.

I stand back about 40-50', Shawn goes over and reaches over the fence thru the brambles and starts pouring gas on the hive. Bees are coming out all over the place. The more that come out, the more he dumps. (Think he was mumbling "die you little b@astards" as he was doing it.)
Well about 5sec goes by, gas can is empty, Shawn backs off and I lite the cannon.
WHoosh, first shot goes about 5' high and lands in the woods. 2nd shot, wide right but good for elevation. Got 'er sighted in now. 3rd shot and WHAM!

The whole woods goes up in flames. I'm talkin, like to the top of the trees.
Looked alot like when the Dukes of Hazard used to shoot that outhouse with the flaming arrow!

Holy ****e, we got 'em! But I'm a little worried, that was/is alot of fire.
Not to worry, in less than a minute all that was left was some smoke and the charred remains of the beehive smoldering on hte ground in the black berries.

Last bee hive I've seen.:cool:

FrankSchwab
09-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Great story for a Friday afternoon!

Shoulda considered filming it; put that up on YouTube and it'd probably buy you a new boat!

/frank

milkmania
09-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Great story for a Friday afternoon!

Shoulda considered filming it; put that up on YouTube and it'd probably buy you a new boat!

/frank

like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo6JP9DdI4w

TxsRiverRat
09-14-2012, 05:32 PM
oh my god...

forget the bees - i wish we had video of them running through the yard screaming like little girls... Hahahahaha

mikeg205
09-14-2012, 05:41 PM
oh my god...

forget the bees - i wish we had video of them running through the yard screaming like little girls... Hahahahaha

ya...with their flip flops... glad no beer was wasted...

TxsRiverRat
09-14-2012, 05:48 PM
ya...with their flip flops... glad no beer was wasted...

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Dylan
09-14-2012, 05:49 PM
The whole woods goes up in flames. I'm talkin, like to the top of the trees.
Looked alot like when the Dukes of Hazard used to shoot that outhouse with the flaming arrow!

Holy ****e, we got 'em! But I'm a little worried, that was/is alot of fire.
Not to worry, in less than a minute all that was left was some smoke and the charred remains of the beehive smoldering on hte ground in the black berries.

Last bee hive I've seen.:cool:

I've battled bees myself, and can totally understand your position. Did you go to Home Depot and get the 'bees are friends' speech as well?

TxsRiverRat
09-14-2012, 05:52 PM
I hate bees and wasps, you should see my lame-*** when i go the GFs lake house... wasp spray and backup can at the ready!

I HATE HATE HATE HATE them! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Kyle
09-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Omg lmfao

Great story

GoneBoatN
09-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Did you know,

A can of tuna, some comet cleanser sprinkled on top - attracts the bees and kills them. Easy. Works for wasps too.

You can sit there, drink your Beer and watch em die, die, die, you dirty, stinking, bxstxrds.

:friday:

ALthough I got to admit, watching the Dukes of Hazard approach would be funny.

Kyle
09-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Did you know,

A can of tuna, some comet cleanser sprinkled on top - attracts the bees and kills them. Easy. Works for wasps too.

You can sit there, drink your Beer and watch em die, die, die, you dirty, stinking, bxstxrds.

:friday:

ALthough I got to admit, watching the Dukes of Hazard approach would be funny.

Thanks for just now sharing :)

1redTA
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
as I set here safely in my house drinking a Corona I'm glad you killed the little mother truckers but you should have used a GoPro to film this. Be safe Luke Duke

GoneBoatN
09-14-2012, 07:01 PM

but the stories were just so entertaining... :D

Thrall
09-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Haha, yeah really.

Thrall
09-17-2012, 12:26 AM
I've battled bees myself, and can totally understand your position. Did you go to Home Depot and get the 'bees are friends' speech as well?

Nope, they don't sell gas and roman candles there!

milkmania
09-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Nope, they don't sell gas and roman candles there!

this looks like fun:firejump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQrf6s6LhQQ&feature=related

GoneBoatN
09-17-2012, 01:22 PM

Haha, yeah really.

That's ok. The bees got revenge on me for you. I was wakeboarding on Sunday wearing a short sleeve shirt under my vest. A bee flew under my shirt and around the back of my shoulder and stung me. Later one bounce off my face; no sting though. Last time I got stung in the face while bike riding, my face swelled up like a balloon.

BrooksfamX2
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Nice, BTW, bees can fly at night, they just dont want to. They sleep. They get even madder if you wake them up.

jraben8
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Did you know,

Seriously, how would someone think of that and really expect it to work!?!