PDA

View Full Version : What lesson does this teach???

milkmania
09-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Unbelievable!!!!!

$60M for a High School Football Stadium?

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=17076219

ShawnB
09-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I thought I read somewhere that this wasn't even the most expensive one in Texas.

Farmer Ted
09-13-2012, 11:35 PM
I live in a town of about 10,000 and we have something like $18 million dollar stadium/indoor practice facility

gotta love Taxes, I mean Texas.....

sucks being poor, kids don't even get a decent stadium to play football in

indoor practice facility is only 50 yards....

Oh and we only have a 20 foot Jumbotron, really difficult to see the instant replays.

milkmania
09-14-2012, 12:00 AM
I live in a town of about 10,000 and we have something like $18 million dollar stadium/indoor practice facility

gotta love Taxes, I mean Texas.....

sucks being poor, kids don't even get a decent stadium to play football in

indoor practice facility is only 50 yards....

Oh and we only have a 20 foot Jumbotron, really difficult to see the instant replays.

was just reading this
Allen is a prototypical fast-growth Texas town, with its population increasing from about 2,000 to 8,000 between 1970 and 1980, then to 18,000 in 1990, to 43,000 in 2000, and up to 84,000 in the 2010 U.S. Census.
Being a mere 12 miles northeast of Dallas helped that boom immensely. Itís not just how many moved to Allen, but who is moving there.
The local economic development commission notes that the median household income in Allen is about $95,000 per year, compared with a national median of $49,000.
The city is so short of low-wage labor, itís applying for a federal grant to develop transit strategies to get people from elsewhere to their retail and hotel jobs.

from here, with video
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2012/08/13/why-allen-texas-built-a-60-million-high-school-football-stadium/

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Everything is bigger in Texas, my old HS stadium was only a 16,800+ seat stadium and was built in 1965, Texans love their HS football...

snork
09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
and it came in $10 million UNDER budget
unheard of today

GT500 MC
09-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Priorities, priorities. And we have to lay teachers off each year in our school district. :confused: I get the whole "who brings in the revenue" piece, same as college, but somewhere along the line we've gotten a bit skewed.

TxsRiverRat
09-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I bought a luxury suite in that stadium yesterday

tideengineer
09-14-2012, 12:55 PM
....our town has 9000 people and our high school is finishing up our very own 50 yard indoor practice facility...all included with new weight roon, locker room, film viewing room, coaches offices....etc....

...my son is a sophomore WR...it's nice but the money could have been spent elsewhere...

TayMC197
09-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Priorities, priorities. And we have to lay teachers off each year in our school district. :confused: I get the whole "who brings in the revenue" piece, same as college, but somewhere along the line we've gotten a bit skewed.

This really pisses me.. Off, why can't that money go to education? Pay teachers more, new computers, child discipline, etc.

Nope we have to have a nice football stadium, when on average about 5% actually get scholarships from play ball.

I think this needs to be illegal. I watched games from a hill before and had a great time. With no replay, I know I was misfortunate but hey I got into college and a great education.

snork
09-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Its all good tay, just icing on the cake

milkmania
09-17-2012, 01:44 PM
This really pisses me.. Off, why can't that money go to education? Pay teachers more, new computers, child discipline, etc.

Nope we have to have a nice football stadium, when on average about 5% actually get scholarships from play ball.

I think this needs to be illegal. I watched games from a hill before and had a great time. With no replay, I know I was misfortunate but hey I got into college and a great education.

then you're gonna love this:mad:

son brought home a letter from coach the last week.....

Dear Football Player,
We are extremely excited to have you for football in 2012 and look forward to some great things this season. As the Head Coach I am asking for a little help with the upcoming fundraiser for the Football Program.
All I am asking each of you to do is to give me 5 names and addresses of people you know that may be interested in making a donation to the Football Program. You just give me the names and address and I will do the rest.
You may pick parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/friends and the list goes on and on. They do not have to live in the ***** area for us to send them a letter. Please fill this out as soon as possible and return it to your coach. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks Coach *********

and if I am resistant to this bullsh*it, my son gets benched. I've seen it for years and years if you cross coach, you get benched:mad:

received text message this morning from son, that coach is hounding him for the list of names.
Talk about pissing someone off:mad:

Fast50dad
09-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Milk, totally hear where you're coming from. I get hit up at work for pizzas, cookies, etc. Everyone is trying to raise money. My son's hockey program does the same but also offers a $100 buyout which we use in order to not have what you are going through hit our family and friends thinking they need to donate. I coach my son's team and still need to donate additional time working other (older kids) tournaments. While we coaches shrug at donating additional time in addition to what we do each week, it is what it is. Being around a sport I love with my son is fun. Usually he joins me running the clock, announcing, or running a penalty box door. Best of luck to your son's season!

milkmania
09-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Milk, totally hear where you're coming from. I get hit up at work for pizzas, cookies, etc. Everyone is trying to raise money. My son's hockey program does the same but also offers a $100 buyout which we use in order to not have what you are going through hit our family and friends thinking they need to donate. I coach my son's team and still need to donate additional time working other (older kids) tournaments. While we coaches shrug at donating additional time in addition to what we do each week, it is what it is. Being around a sport I love with my son is fun. Usually he joins me running the clock, announcing, or running a penalty box door. Best of luck to your son's season!

I coached summer baseball many years (11 out of last 20) & when we had our fundraisers.... we sold something.
I can't believe this guy's soliciting names and addresses for straight up donations.

below is the rundown for my son's freshman season this year and his 8th. grade season last year (and it was all down without donations)
he plays 85-90% of each game.

2RLAKE
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
that bets my high school's 10,000 seat stadium ... that however was paid for privately by boosters

Voodoo
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Unbelievable!!!!!

$60M for a High School Football Stadium?

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=17076219

Why is this "unbelievable" to you? Based upon your additional thread posts -- letter from coach, flyers, rundown of your sons stats, etc -- your in this thing up to your ***. Whats your point?

Voodoo

milkmania
09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Why is this "unbelievable" to you? Based upon your additional thread posts -- letter from coach, flyers, rundown of your sons stats, etc -- your in this thing up to your ***. Whats your point?

Voodoo

The point is you can have undefeated seasons without a 60 million dollar stadium.
The point is they've had this undefeated season without donations from the public.
The point is you can play football with the money the school system provides, and it doesn't have to be in a NFL equivalent facility.
The point is that money does not make a team.

Yeah, I'm in this thing up to my ***... I pay my $5.00 every Thursday night to watch this team play. They're into me for about $25.00 this season and a donated bottle of shampoo for the locker room.
The only sports I watch is local school sports.

bobx1
09-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I guess I have to chime in. All 3 of my sons played HS football. I have seen quite a bit of changes since my now 25 year old son was starting on the varsity team in 10th grade.

I can tell you that the money, time, recruitment (yes, several schools tried to recruit by middle son when he was in 7th and 8th grade), etc. has simply gotten out of hand.

My youngest son (11th grader) came to me at the end of the summer workouts and said he had enough and due to the requirements I put on him with grades (I will allow an occassional C but he has to maintain a 3.0), he said he did not think he could deal with the time commitments any longer. They wanted him to play running back on the JV team and also play SS on the varsity team this year (he played in every varstity game last year as a 10th grader). Guys, he was simply burned out as he has been playing organized football since 4th grade.

These kids are practicing 11 months a year for football, he gets up a 6:30 for school, practices till 6pm (or later) on the weekdays, gets home after 10pm (and much later for road games) on Friday nights, gets Saturday off, then back to practice on Sunday afternoon. They get a break for the month of December then back to the weights and practice in January. The coaches gave him a pretty hard time when he went on a 1 week family vacation during the summer. He likes to wakeboard and hang with his family at our camp during the summer and it is very difficult to fit that in due to football.

There are (were maybe) alot of positive results of kids participating in sports but this stuff has gotten out of hand and the adults are responsible for it. I played back in the day and there were a lot of benefits but when your kid is encouraged to have a professional trainer(over and above the standard weight commitments) and half the kids on the team have professional (and paid for) highlight videos, you know things are bad.

milkmania
09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I guess I have to chime in. All 3 of my sons played HS football. I have seen quite a bit of changes since my now 25 year old son was starting on the varsity team in 10th grade.

I can tell you that the money, time, recruitment (yes, several schools tried to recruit by middle son when he was in 7th and 8th grade), etc. has simply gotten out of hand.

My youngest son (11th grader) came to me at the end of the summer workouts and said he had enough and due to the requirements I put on him with grades (I will allow an occassional C but he has to maintain a 3.0), he said he did not think he could deal with the time commitments any longer. They wanted him to play running back on the JV team and also play SS on the varsity team this year (he played in every varstity game last year as a 10th grader). Guys, he was simply burned out as he has been playing organized football since 4th grade.

These kids are practicing 11 months a year for football, he gets up a 6:30 for school, practices till 6pm (or later) on the weekdays, gets home after 10pm (and much later for road games) on Friday nights, gets Saturday off, then back to practice on Sunday afternoon. They get a break for the month of December then back to the weights and practice in January. The coaches gave him a pretty hard time when he went on a 1 week family vacation during the summer. He likes to wakeboard and hang with his family at our camp during the summer and it is very difficult to fit that in due to football.

There are (were maybe) alot of positive results of kids participating in sports but this stuff has gotten out of hand and the adults are responsible for it. I played back in the day and there were a lot of benefits but when your kid is encouraged to have a professional trainer(over and above the standard weight commitments) and half the kids on the team have professional (and paid for) highlight videos, you know things are bad.

I was looking at some of the new stadium's statistics.....
18,000 seats, 6 home games scheduled for 2012 season
Ticket Prices
The adult price is $6 in advance and $8 at the gate for general admission.Reserved seating is $8 in advance and $10 at the gate if available
looks like it should rake in some money:confused::confused::confused:

well, found this at their Band Booster's website
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED!
The Band Boosters Concessions needs 16 volunteers to work a stand at the September 14th home football game which is Homecoming.
We understand that each of you wants to watch your student perform during half-time and to watch the game. However, if each of you would volunteer to work 1 event, you would only miss your child perform 1 half-time about every other year.
Of course there are always other concession events throughout the school year that need workers but they do not coincide with your child’s performance.

Please note that working the concession stands is a fundraiser through the Band Boosters that benefits the Band program directly. My goodness!

With over 1500+ parents/guardians in our program, it shouldn't be that difficult to get concession stand volunteers. Won’t you be one of those parents who lends a hand when a hand is needed? Don’t let the same ones volunteer over and over as your child and every child benefits from these fundraising efforts! Many thanks to you all!

I realize that's a plea for help from the Band Boosters, so I ask..... where does the ticket money go?

The facility was approved with a tax increase. So, the taxpayers are paying that bill.
I realize there are maintenance fees, and staff payroll (eg. Jeff Chaney: Eagle Stadium Manager )

and they did make it a multi-function complex
Additional Facility Usage
There is a practice area for men’s and women’s golf with nets below the home stands. A 5,800 sq. ft. wrestling practice area and locker room has been added on the home side. The wrestling locker room will also be used for home team lockers other than Allen HS. A weight room (268’ x 42’) has been added under the visitor side for use by boys and girls athletics.

loeweb
09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I am a high school football coach and had the opportunity to go and watch a neighboring school practice on our bye week. We showed up and I felt like it was a time warp. The practice field was so worn down that a farmer probably couldn't have put his cows on it to graze. The mangers carried around buckets of dirt and filled in holes during practice. Coaches were always looking for green grass to practice on and the field was marked with inside out car tires cut in half and numbers painted on them. Their practice attire was a hodge podge of differing jerseys and pant colors. The standup and hand dummies they were using looked like a bunch of rats had used them for a home over the winter. The sled they used had dummies that were taped onto the metal.
Oh yeah I almost forgot the part that really matters, they were state champions in their class last year and probably will win it again. Not once did any of those kids piss or moan because they love playing the game. Their game field is nothing to brag about either. If a coach can get kids to play because they love the game now we've got something. If a program is constantly having to upgrade and try and out do neighboring districts to attract kids then kids will get burned out. The newness will wear off. Let kids play the game because they love it. If the district thinks that the program needs upgrading then let the district pay for it.

Cmpdman
09-21-2012, 08:50 AM
We've been in TX for over a year now & they love their high school football. We have no state income tax but our property taxes that pay for things like this are killers. Homestead exceptions help but we pay over 20k per year just for a tax on our home. Our home in UT is around 2k. Now I have an idea how they can pay for things like this.

snork
09-21-2012, 09:59 AM
The lesson is, Its only a number, the value of the dollar is long gone especially when it comes to people spending our money.
A money monster on a rampage

gweaver
09-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I realize that's a plea for help from the Band Boosters, so I ask..... where does the ticket money go?

As I understand school funding, most school clubs/teams/organizations receive money from a variety of funds. Athletics has a budget that comes out of the extra curricular sports fund (but most teams have a boosters organization). Band, not falling under the athletics umbrella, likely receives funding from a Music/Arts fund or something similar. Many times bands have boosters, but obviously there's far more support for athletic booster organizations than for anything else. Tickets funding, assuming that tickets are sold by the sports boosters, probably goes back in to the athletics program. It might also be given/donated to the school to support PE programs or something else sports related.

My district is in a similar situation- very little funding for academics/computers/staff, but thanks to the boosters, the school got a $6 million stadium about 4-5 years ago. Nice stadium, but like someone else mentioned, it would be great if there was a school boosters group that could garner that type of support for the school/district as a whole. Unfortunately, the PTSA and Education Foundation just can't compete with parents and alumni who want to re-live the glory days of their high school sports career.

I run a robotics team (US FIRST Robotics Competition (www.usfirst.org)) and we're trying to form a boosters organization mainly because having a boosters allows us to pursue sources of funding unavailable to schools (we're in Wine Country, CA, but can't approach winerys for donations due to the alcohol connection). I would imagine the same holds true for sports boosters. They can approach potential sponsors for support, while a school may not be able to receive $$ in exchange for putting up signs for "Bill's Auto and Truck".
G

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
We've been in TX for over a year now & they love their high school football. We have no state income tax but our property taxes that pay for things like this are killers. Homested exceptions help but we pay over 20k per year just for a tax on our home. Our home in UT is around 2k. Now I have an idea how they can pay for things like this.

This struck a cord with me...property, state income tax it might be a wash in the end might not, I don't know tax rate in Utah but if you didn't want to pay 20k in property tax then you shouldn't have bought a ~.66 mil dollar apppraised home, Houston if I remember correctly from your other post. Your realtor could have giving you the tax information, I'm glad that your able to do that don't get me wrong. You also have the right early next year to protest your appraised value with the appraisal district to lower your value which means lower tax. What was your tax rate in Utah?

Effective tax rate in Houston, Harris county is 1.396311% of appraised value of your home then add school taxes which in my case is another 1.52%, HoustonISD is less than that @1.1567%, so either way less than 3% goes to taxes for the appraised value of said home then with the Homestead Exemption makes it even less,
Of course you might not even live in Houston, Harris County and all this is moot.

Btw, welcome to the Houston area, and you have a beautiful boat.

As far as the stadium in Allen, those residents chose to approve the bond that increased their taxes for the school district to build that stadium. We all can monday quarterback the situation by saying well they should spend their money on this program or on new computers or ipads in the classrooms or whatever. I get it schools are lacking in funding. In the end if you didn't like the situation and live in that district you could have voted the bond down and expressed your opinions at the school board meetings before they approved and built the stadium.

If you don't like the way school districts do business and want to change the school system then you need to attend school district meetings and voice your opinion most importantly is to vote, not only nationally for the President but start locally for your school board members, fire and police chief, DA, mayors, city councilmen, state Senators and Representatives, you could even vote for HOA's.
end of rant...

snork
09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
only 65% of Allen voters voted in favor and of the other 30k eligible voters either didn't give a shiot or thought their votes wouldn't matter