PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an OJ prop

CC2MC
09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I just purchased an OJ 13x13 4 blade prop for my 94 prostar 205 off ebay. It will not get here until next week and hopefully I will be able to put it on and try it out. I am not sure how much difference I will be able to see until I get the ballast bags set up. Does anyone that has this setup have any good info as far as noticeable differences?
Should it have a better low end?
How much top end do i sacrifice (not too concerned, but curious)?
Will it hold a constant speed better?

I did send an email to Eric Johnson and he said that this will be a very good overall prop, but that is about all I got out of him.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-14-2012, 01:28 AM
I have that prop and overall its very good hole shot, no loss of max mph and does hold rpm and mph better than the old 3 blade. But I don't run any ballast so no info on being loaded down.

Double D
09-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I have the same set up. Moved from a 3 blade. Here are my numbers before and after.

Boat Speed Test:
3 Blade Prop
1st Start = 9.09
2nd Start = 8.5
3rd Start = 8.7
Top Speed = 41.2

New
4 Blade Prop
1st Start = 8.32
2nd Start = 8.0
Top Speed = 40.8

Of course this was not professionally done. Loading on trailer is better too.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

Traxx822
09-14-2012, 10:37 AM
I just got my new OJ prop this week. Eric suggested 14.75 X 15.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-blad.

All I can say is HOLY HOLE SHOT.

I have a 200V with lots of ballast and it feels like I launched with my old prop (13x13 4 blade OJ) with no weight in the boat at all. Sacrificed top speed but with ballast in I can't go over 32mph anyways or it porpoises to bad.

So in other words I just upgraded to a bigger prop from the one you just bought. The old prop I had was good but this prop takes the cake if you have weight.

BrooksfamX2
09-14-2012, 10:57 AM
I just got my new OJ prop this week. Eric suggested 14.75 X 15.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-blade............

Thats the one I want to get for next season..........:)

GoneBoatN
09-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I just got my new OJ prop this week. Eric suggested 14.75 X 15.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-blad.

All I can say is HOLY HOLE SHOT.

I have a 200V with lots of ballast and it feels like I launched with my old prop (13x13 4 blade OJ) with no weight in the boat at all. Sacrificed top speed but with ballast in I can't go over 32mph anyways or it porpoises to bad.

So in other words I just upgraded to a bigger prop from the one you just bought. The old prop I had was good but this prop takes the cake if you have weight.

Why would you want to go at a higher speed with ballast? Other than to excessively burn gas. :D

Thats the one I want to get for next season..........:)

I have that on my X-15 with an MCX. As mentioned before, hole shot is nice. However, I'm only using stock ballast. Engine tops out at the upper end of the recommended RPM (4800) at WOT. I have a spare of the same so if we end up at Shasta at the same time again next year you can demo mine if you want.

CC2MC
09-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Well Eric also told me that If I plan on adding more than 2000 lbs of ballast he would suggest the 13 X 11 LC 1" XMP 3-blade. I believe Acme recommended a 13x 12 4 blade prop.

Thanks DoubleD for the numbers.

BrooksfamX2
09-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I have that on my X-15 with an MCX. As mentioned before, hole shot is nice. However, I'm only using stock ballast. Engine tops out at the upper end of the recommended RPM (4800) at WOT. I have a spare of the same so if we end up at Shasta at the same time again next year you can demo mine if you want.

Thanks for the offer. I currently have a 13.7x15.5 (came with boat) and it works OK. I have not hit the rev limiter, but can easily run 5000 rpm plus.

I dont cruise with ballast full. Like at Shasta we cruise to our spot, fill, play, empty, cruise back.....

We are there same time next year.

GoneBoatN
09-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Well Eric also told me that If I plan on adding more than 2000 lbs of ballast he would suggest the 13 X 11 LC 1" XMP 3-blade. I believe Acme recommended a 13x 12 4 blade prop.

Thanks DoubleD for the numbers.

I figured there was a reason Eric recommended that prop. :cool:

CC2MC
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I got the prop yesterday and I decided to polish it up a little bit. You have to love Mothers Metal Polish. It still needs a little work to be nice and shiny, but then again who will really see the thing? I found out my neighbor also has a prop puller for his SN that he will let me borrow, so that is one less thing for me to have to purchase. It is nice having a neighbor with that same interests as me, even though he is nearly 20years my senior.

Traxx822
09-18-2012, 06:16 PM
I got the prop yesterday and I decided to polish it up a little bit. You have to love Mothers Metal Polish. It still needs a little work to be nice and shiny, but then again who will really see the thing? I found out my neighbor also has a prop puller for his SN that he will let me borrow, so that is one less thing for me to have to purchase. It is nice having a neighbor with that same interests as me, even though he is nearly 20years my senior.

Mothers metal polish is the best. I use the power ball with it to polish my snowmobile tunnels.

I'd recomend getting your own puller now that you have a spare. Just in case. Keep it in the boat and that way you don't have to call up your neighbor or tow the boat all the way home just to change the prop. OJ has a neat kit that has everything and it fits your prop in the box all in one nice case. Its almost $200 but well worth it. I just go one. Eric was cool. Told me to send my old slightly damaged prop and he would reman it for free since I bought a new prop and weekend saver kit. Dropped $800 though :eek:

mcparadise
09-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I just purchased an OJ 13x13 4 blade prop for my 94 prostar 205 off ebay. It will not get here until next week and hopefully I will be able to put it on and try it out. I am not sure how much difference I will be able to see until I get the ballast bags set up. Does anyone that has this setup have any good info as far as noticeable differences?
Should it have a better low end?
How much top end do i sacrifice (not too concerned, but curious)?
Will it hold a constant speed better?

I did send an email to Eric Johnson and he said that this will be a very good overall prop, but that is about all I got out of him.

FWIW, when I changed out my 3- to 4-blade, 98 Sportstar 19, the increase in torque was quite obvious for getting out of the hole, and the top end was lowered, just slightly, but who cares when you ski on Tokyo Bay since you don't top end so much there.

The biggest difference I noticed is that I had so much better maneuverability for docking and in tight quarters. The LH rotation effect was also more pronounced and therefore easier to take advantage of. Made this true novice look even more like a pro when pulling alongside the dock (...head in with starboard side towards dock at a 30-40 degree angle, keep way on by going between in-gear and idle, and then hit reverse fairly gently when bow is close to the dock, stops forward way and stern swings right next to the dock. Learned it from you'all.

PS I have an extra 3-blade OJ 13x13 cupped 1-inch dia. reconditioned prop by Tacoma Propellers. PM me with what you want to pay if you need it.