PDA

View Full Version : Oil change pump not working??

Thrall
09-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Anyone else use the little drill operated pump with garden hose fittings to do oil changes?
I've done this for years, using these pumps to pump fluids in and out of vehicles.
They would always last a few years at least then crap out, but for $9-10 I figured they were cheap and handy and the petroleum products probably just ate up the rubber impellers over time.
Bought a new one last year, actually 2 of them b/c the Napa guy said they were discontinued since my old one had died.
Neither of the new ones would suck the oil out of the drain hose on my X2 nor suck out the trans oil. Tried using them a cpl months later to pump oil into the trans and Tcase on my truck, no worky.
Bought a new one this year from Autozone, $9, it won't pull any head to start oil flow in the boat. Had to weasel the pump and drill into the botom of the bilge so gravity would start it and then the pump worked that way.
Are these little pumps outsourced now, WTH?
Used to be one of the handiest tools in the shop, now 3 in a row wont suck up any fluid.
May have to break down and get a real oil change pump.

Legolamb
09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Works like a champ.

88 PS190
09-12-2012, 03:19 PM
The harbor freight Air conditioning repair style vacuum pump, when on sale, is an OK deal and with fittings and hose from Menards/Homedepot you can rig up a good catch can out of a 5 gallon bucket with lid, get a bucket with a drain hole (like a brewers bucket) and you can drain the waste product right into oil containers to drop at jiffy lube.

jgraham37128
09-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Anyone else use the little drill operated pump with garden hose fittings to do oil changes?
I've done this for years, using these pumps to pump fluids in and out of vehicles.
They would always last a few years at least then crap out, but for $9-10 I figured they were cheap and handy and the petroleum products probably just ate up the rubber impellers over time.
Bought a new one last year, actually 2 of them b/c the Napa guy said they were discontinued since my old one had died.
Neither of the new ones would suck the oil out of the drain hose on my X2 nor suck out the trans oil. Tried using them a cpl months later to pump oil into the trans and Tcase on my truck, no worky.
Bought a new one this year from Autozone, $9, it won't pull any head to start oil flow in the boat. Had to weasel the pump and drill into the botom of the bilge so gravity would start it and then the pump worked that way.
Are these little pumps outsourced now, WTH?
Used to be one of the handiest tools in the shop, now 3 in a row wont suck up any fluid.
May have to break down and get a real oil change pump.

Here's what I use and love it.

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Power-Extractor-1708_p_128.html