PDA

View Full Version : Home Remodel

Kyle
09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Ok so after a few drinks my gf starts this crazy home remodel.

Never let a drunk gf or wife around tools. It turns into a huge project real fast

Pics coming

madcityskier
09-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Could be worse. My wife decided we should finish our basement. Next thing you know trucks are bringing cabinets, shower, fireplace, studs and drywall. She's very subtle. Got it all done had it for about 6 months and her brother moved in for three months. He's been gone for nine months, now it's a different one. Don't mind and actually kike them both, just seems funny in its way.

Kyle
09-11-2012, 10:43 PM
So after a bottle of wine and 3 beers we have the carpet in the living room gone, tack strips removed, tile in front of fire place torn out, and we also removed all furniture.

Total time invested so far is 3.5 hours.

I was using the utility knife and hammers-pry bars. The gf managed duct tape to roll up the carpet and keep it bound up and she did an excellent job pushing a broom.

So the project was supposed to put flooring in the living room only. Today I decided to add 3 bedrooms too.

2 OCD individuals starting a project is bad news after having a few drinks. The project keeps getting bigger.

Last night after a few drinks the project started. We have yet to buy flooring or even really shop what we want lol

All I know is she will find something tomorrow and we will pick it up and start putting it down.

Does anyone know where to buy good flooring. She wants a good quality laminate flooring with tongue and groove and the mat that goes under it. We are installing it together. She doesn't want wood just due to cost and she's wanting to sell her house and the carpet was shot due to the 5 dogs we have. The stains were probably removable but the carpet is 8 yrs old and really worn down.

Anyway we are looking for a good looking laminate flooring that is not cheap looking.

Does anyone have any ideas?

CantRepeat
09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Dos mas cerveza por favor?

Sodar
09-11-2012, 11:39 PM
www.lumberliquidators.com ?

Can I offer you some advice? Home remodels suck! Just move, it is easier! LOL!

Ben
09-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Lumber liquidators if you have one.

CantRepeat
09-11-2012, 11:45 PM
www.lumberliquidators.com (http://www.lumberliquidators.com) ?

lol, Cameron.. we are still waiting on your finished remodel photos!!! :D

BTW, since you didn't announce it, congrats on your marriage brother!

XtwentyNot
09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Craig's list, you said selling and cheap.

-Jake

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Trying to get rid of the cat piss smell huh.

Kyle
09-12-2012, 12:45 AM
www.lumberliquidators.com ?

Any advice is going to be taken.

Let me first say I can work on the house pretty much 3 weekdays per week and weekends too. I set my own work schedule and have some free time available. My goal is to work pretty much non stop for the next week. I would also much rather cut and install everything by myself. If my gf assists me she will be using a rubber hammer. Let's just say she can't hit the same spot twice. That being said, I will be able to install the floor much faster. She can help move furniture and make sure the broom keeps sweeping and the house keeps getting dusted.

Next point is we could not sell the house to anyone ready to just move in with the worn out carpet that was in there. It was probably cleanable but it had to go.

Next point is we want to get full market value but we also want to move to not necessarily a bigger house but we want more land. The current home is on (I'm guessing here) 1/8 to 1/4 acre. The house is like 2,250-2,500 sq ft and is a 4 bed room, formal dining, and study. Front yard is like 25' to the street and the side yards are like 6' wide and the back yard is tiny also. It's a great starter home lots of upgrades granite, and custom work. We just have 3 vehicles and only one of them fits in the 2 car garage now so we want either a big 3 car garage with a shop or a 4 car garage. We also have 5 dogs and want a minimum of 1 acre for them to run. Personally we would rather have 3-5 acres since we want horses. We just feel 1 acre per horse is pretty tight so idealy we want 3-5 acres. I'm fine with a 3,000 sq ft home or even 2,500 but the key is a bigger yard.

Anyway we want market value and I refuse to deal with some nutty individual who thinks the floor will cost 5k.

We just feel that if we work a few days and make it nice we can get more for the home and the individual buying will be able to move in and the negotiation will be more about price vs nit picking every blemish.

Kyle
09-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Trying to get rid of the cat piss smell huh.

Bwahahahaha

We don't have cats and don't want any. We don't have mice :D

Now if we end up with living on 5 acres with horses and a feed room then maybe we will have a cat named "The Cat"

snork
09-12-2012, 09:05 AM
don't forget to disclose your wasp problem

Kyle
09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
don't forget to disclose your wasp problem

Lol

Wasps are not at this location. We are doing the work on her house.

snork
09-12-2012, 11:08 AM
good thing, I here them wasps are a booger to get rid of

jraben8
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
check with Surplus and Seconds. I know that they have 1 location in Richardson at Arapaho and Greenville but I don't know about another. I have used them 2x for front doors.

I have also used Lumber Liquidators for wood flooring but that was about 7 yrs ago.

Thrall
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Haha, some of my best......and worst projects started after a couple drinks.
Latest one is a non running '94 Chevy diesel.
Sittin around Sun with a buddy drinking beer, see a "deal" pop up on Craigslist. Get the neighbors tow dolly and we're off. 2hrs and $1000 later I have a shiny 5000lb paper weight in my shop!

Oh well, at least I have the shop and land now for such projects. 5ac and 9 total bays of useable garage...............and a cat that I wanted to call "cat" but the kids named it Tacoma since that's the first city they saw in WA!
Got 2 goats, named Olympic and Rainier. 1 got eaten by cougar. Now added Tulip, Cooper, Jasper and Trey! Where do they come up with those names? Oh well they're easier than having to maintian the fence line from the onslaught of blackberry bushes up here!

I'd tell you my wasp (bee) story from last summer here, but wouldn't want to steal your thunder! haha
Let's say it involved about a case of beer, full set of Carharrts/glove, 5gal gas and roman candles!

milkmania
09-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I'd tell you my wasp (bee) story from last summer here, but wouldn't want to steal your thunder! haha
Let's say it involved about a case of beer, full set of Carharrts/glove, 5gal gas and roman candles!

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/thumb.gif

CLICK HERE------>>>>>> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/mc2009/images/buttons/newthread.gif (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=14)

:D

Kyle
09-12-2012, 04:36 PM
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/thumb.gif

CLICK HERE------>>>>>> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/mc2009/images/buttons/newthread.gif (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=14)

:D

Thrall

You cant start that kind of story and not finish it. CLICK and post another thread

This place needs a little humor

Rossterman
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Pergo xp at home depot is hands down great laminate. Looks like real wood planks and has ceramic finish. Read about experiences others had that were great and installed in in my home. Looks so nice 2 of my friends decided to use it after seeing mine. I used highland hickory which was under $3/sqft!

barefoot
09-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Kyle...I thought you would look like the guy in your avatar :confused: You look much better, esprecally after a guy who's had plenty to drink :D

Home improvement projects are never ending at my house. Just tiled a 200 sq ft three season room. Next step was to rip out a fire place, fix the hole in the roof from the stack, dry walled, and now feathering in hardwood where the fire place once was.

Winter project...new trim

Spring project...new decks

Summer project....landscaping

Ya' see, never ending...:rolleyes:

Maybe I should move. But next move will be closer to lake :) More like on the lake :cool:

Kyle
09-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Ok so we bought 850 sq ft of laminate yesterday. Today I put down the plastic sheeting and the foam padding. I also put down 176 sq ft of flooring down. The guy at Home Depot said average wast is 6% and he said he averages 2% waste. Currently I am averaging 2.25% waste of scrap material but I have 2 or 3 pieces that I am waiting to cut an end off of because of a blemish that can be cut off and used somewhere. I'm guessing my waste is 2% or real close. Anyway here is a few pics.

Kyle
09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Thrall

You cant start that kind of story and not finish it. CLICK and post another thread

This place needs a little humor

Waiting...... :popcorn:

Thrall
09-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Waiting...... :popcorn:

Ok....

Kyle
09-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Ok here is what I have got done so far....

And 4 of the dogs. 2 weenies, 1 corgi, 1 Australian Shepard, my lab is not here. Too many dogs for this kind of project and my lab would want to help. These dogs hide under the bed.

petermegan
09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Hmmm, You do know we don't have Australian Shepherds over here! I know it is a breed in the US (i just googled it) but it looks like a border collie, coolie cross to me. :) Floor looks great. Need you to come over for a holiday and do ours.:D

Rossterman
09-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Looks great! What flooring did you end up using?

Kyle
09-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Hmmm, You do know we don't have Australian Shepherds over here! I know it is a breed in the US (i just googled it) but it looks like a border collie, coolie cross to me. :) Floor looks great. Need you to come over for a holiday and do ours.:D

He is a very weird dog. Austies don't have tails. He does.

My gf was rodeoing and running barrels and comes out of the arena on her horse and finds a truck full of puppies. She asks about them and the owner said the mother was bitten by a rattle snake and the puppies nursed off of her before she died. Anyway he was a week maybe old at the time. She jumps off her horse picks a puppy out and gets this dog for free. Anyway gets back on her horse and brings the dog back to her horse trailer and brings it home. She works at a vet and her vet said he will die. Anyway she never had the tail cut because he was never supposed to live. Now we have an Austie with a tail. He is very weird, smart at some things and about as sharp as a bowling at a lot of things.

Thanks for the comment about the floor.

petermegan
09-15-2012, 09:00 PM
" He is very weird, smart at some things and about as sharp as a bowling at a lot of things."
Ah! That's why you call them an Aussie.:D Nothing like a tail wag to show a dog is happy.

Kyle
09-19-2012, 12:49 PM
More updates.

I'm doing this room today
I did this room yesterday

I still need to put down quarter round and transition molding. Right now I'm trying to maintain a livable home lol

ctjahn
09-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Looks pretty realistic. What brand?

I need to do the entire 1st floor in my house. (roughly 30x30) in a brazillan cherry color (dark brown with a tint of red)

Cj

O2BESOHUGE
09-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Nice Job Man!!

mzimme
09-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Looking good Kyle. Technically, I think you have about 3 1/4 dogs there ;)

maxpower220
09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Big screen TV in your kitchen, you are living large.

Nice job, floor looks good.

BriEOD
09-19-2012, 05:49 PM
How are your knees feeling? It looks good!

SkiDog
09-19-2012, 06:53 PM
More updates.

I'm doing this room today
I did this room yesterday

I still need to put down quarter round and transition molding. Right now I'm trying to maintain a livable home lol

Damn! You ain't gonna have a vampire problem in THAT house!:D:D

SkiDog
09-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Oh, and you should buy you one of them new fangled digital cameras too! They work wonders!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

atthelake
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Looking good!
God I hate renos!!!!!
My reno this summer was to build a support beam for the kitchen floor of the cabin and it went from that to tearing out all the trees, tearing down the cabin and building a new one on-site.

blakehardesty
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Your fireplace looks a little bit better than mine does right now. The room to the left is my bedroom. Fireplace is coming out to make room for a new closet so I can get my stuff out of the soon to be nursery. The fireplace is 3 blocks thick of block. Yikes, didnt expect that when i tore off the drywall.

Willski
09-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Damn! You ain't gonna have a vampire problem in THAT house!:D:D

That's exactly what I was thinking Dog!

Kyle
09-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Your fireplace looks a little bit better than mine does right now. The room to the left is my bedroom. Fireplace is coming out to make room for a new closet so I can get my stuff out of the soon to be nursery. The fireplace is 3 blocks thick of block. Yikes, didnt expect that when i tore off the drywall.

So basically you are building the wife a new closet for all of her 500 pairs of shoes, 300 swim suits, and a special rack for all of the clothes that still have tags on them. Then you can move all of you belongings in her old smaller closet.

RIGHT???? :)

Kyle
09-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Oh, and you should buy you one of them new fangled digital cameras too! They work wonders!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

iPhone camera sorry. It takes way too much time to download a pic off of a camera to a computer when tapatalk is so fast :D

Kyle
09-25-2012, 08:57 PM
So with the sucky iPhone I have more updates.

Kyle
09-25-2012, 08:58 PM
More crappy pics from cell

maxpower220
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Your hand saw caused me great concern. I was relieved that you had a nail gun.

Looks good.

You motivated me.

76S&S
09-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Lookin good guys!

TxsRiverRat
09-26-2012, 11:47 AM
KYLE - what did u do to Hunter to make him lay down like that

mzimme
09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
KYLE - what did u do to Hunter to make him lay down like that

Let him kill the bull he's laying on? Or whatever the hell that thing is?

Kyle
09-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Your hand saw caused me great concern. I was relieved that you had a nail gun.

Looks good.

You motivated me.

Oh no I am using power tools.
I used a miter saw, circular saw, jig saw, nail gun, etc and since I'm real cheap and hate wasting money, the hand saw was to a miter box so I can hold real small 1" pieces of quarter round trim and some door casing needed to be trimmed a little. My corners to all walls have 22.5* turns. So 2 45* cuts won't work.

TxsRiverRat
09-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Kyle, send him the video of you using the nail gun! Hahahaha

TayMC197
09-26-2012, 05:28 PM
She's leaving you as soon as you finish the floors. I suppose I shouldn't of told her I can do drywall.... :D

TxsRiverRat
09-26-2012, 05:41 PM
She's leaving you as soon as you finish the floors. I suppose I shouldn't of told her I can do drywall.... :D

:popcorn::popcorn:

blakehardesty
09-27-2012, 07:57 AM
So basically you are building the wife a new closet for all of her 500 pairs of shoes, 300 swim suits, and a special rack for all of the clothes that still have tags on them. Then you can move all of you belongings in her old smaller closet.

RIGHT???? :)

I can only assume that you hit that right on the head. Only time will tell.