PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug wires

shepherd
09-04-2005, 02:16 AM
How important is it that you get the same diameter spark plug wires to replace your old ones? I bought a set of 8mm wires for my boat but they seem slightly larger in diameter than the old wires (the old wires don't have the size marked on them). The parts guy at the store picked the wires out for me but I don't trust him -- new kid. I went ahead and put the new wires on, started the engine, and she seemed to run fine (though I haven't done an in-water test yet to run her at high rpms).

Think my engine will have any adverse effects?

(Confession: This if for my Mercruiser, so not a Mastercraft question though I suppose the same question/answer applies)

Thanks.

André
09-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Bigger is better !

6ballsisall
09-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Shep, you should be just fine. Larger Diameter wires generally means either more insulation or better conductivity (or both) Make sure you have some good spark plugs in them engines and your ready to rock and roll!! :banana:

shepherd
09-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the peace of mind jrandol! I put new spark plugs in at the same time. Running smooth... I'll go ahead and put the new wires on the other engine too (problem with twin engines -- you've got to do everything twice :mad: benefit -- we were 25 miles out on the Gulf when one of my starters went bad on me, used the other engine to cruise on home :) )

redmike
09-04-2005, 03:09 PM
jr is right, bigger wires=less resistance=more power to plugs; also better insulation means less chance of crossfire (2 wires touching and sending spark to the wrong cylinder), so good deal on the new wires

debecker13
10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Jrandol, do you have a part number for the spark plugs required in a 1995 PS 190 with the LT1 engine by any chance? I would rather purchase them from NAPA than pay a premium from a marine shop.

OhioProstar
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
NAPA is were I buy all my boat parts that I don't get from BAWS. They seem to match parts better.

AC 41-931 is the stock plug

Below starting on page 57
http://www.indmar.com/files/manual/indmar_2001_om.pdf

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 06:09 PM
My boat came with Taylor 8mm FWIW.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 06:14 PM
How long would it take to change out the wires? I seemed to have lost some top end, and I think I may need new plugs/wires. Cost?

OhioProstar
10-12-2005, 06:15 PM
How long would it take to change out the wires? I seemed to have lost some top end, and I think I may need new plugs/wires. Cost?

I changed mine in a matter of 20 minutes. Take you time and replace them one at a time.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey, Erk. You cleaned your flame arrestor lately? That might help a bit. What's your top end?

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
haven't put to gps yet, but pro 39-41

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Hey, Erk. You cleaned your flame arrestor lately? That might help a bit. What's your top end?

how do you clean it?

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Buy a spray can of carburetor cleaner. Remove the flame arrestor (remove the plastic engine cover and pull your flame arrestor off (you'll have to remove the black hose, which just pulls off)).

Take the metal flame arrestor and spray the carb cleaner from the inside-out. Be pretty liberal about it. Do it away from painted things and infants. When you're done, give it plenty of time to dry. When it's completely dry, reinstall it.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 06:52 PM
By the way, with a four blade, you ought to get about 44 or so mph WOT.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I have a 3-blade on it now, and I used to get approx. 45-46 w/ 1/2 tank of gas.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Remember that if you haven't calibrated your speedos at all, you might not be seeing actual speed. Everytime you dust off the guages & touch those adjustments, you run the risk of minute adjustments.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I know that my speedos are slightly off, but I could feel the "slugishness" in the engine/throttle as I drove the boat last time out.

canada air
10-13-2005, 01:18 AM
check fuel filter, inlet screen on fuel pump, arrestor, timing, wires, plugs, check the down by fuel tank on fuel line fitting and make sure the lever is all the way open. mine was closed a little once and it was noticable

erkoehler
10-13-2005, 01:24 AM
check fuel filter, inlet screen on fuel pump, arrestor, timing, wires, plugs, check the down by fuel tank on fuel line fitting and make sure the lever is all the way open. mine was closed a little once and it was noticable

Fitting is all the way open.
Fuel filter was changed in June.

I am going to clean the flame arrestor tomorrow. If that doesn't work, new plugs and wires.

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 04:49 AM
By the way, Erik, although your boat is probably due for a wire change anyway, I believe I'm still running the stock Taylor 8mm wires on my boat at 13 years of age. Still getting 45.5 mph by the gps WOT. That said, they'll be changed before I gin up for next season.