PDA

View Full Version : Domed numbers

sam196370
09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Put these on last night and they look fantastic. Well worth the $65, matches gelcoat PERFECTLY.

BrooksfamX2
09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Nice!

strad
09-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Forgive the possibly stupid question, but where do you get numbers like that? Or similar but in a different color, possibly blue :) I bought my boat in a different state and I'm going to be doing different numbers I'm sure (haven't registered it yet otherwise I'd know 100%). May as well make it look cool!

gts-20
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Forgive the possibly stupid question, but where do you get numbers like that? Or similar but in a different color, possibly blue :) I bought my boat in a different state and I'm going to be doing different numbers I'm sure (haven't registered it yet otherwise I'd know 100%). May as well make it look cool!

Mine came from:
http://shop.domednumbers.com/

You may also try:
https://3dlettering.com/wiki.aspx/Home

soacj
09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
I really need to get off my *ss and get some of those--they look 100% better than the white vinyl West Marine specials I've got on my boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Put these on last night and they look fantastic. Well worth the $65, matches gelcoat PERFECTLY.

WOW ! ! ! ! !

russlars
09-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Looks awesome! How did you manage to get the perfect gel coat match?

Kyle
09-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Looks Great :)

Jeffer
09-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Man, those look great. I forget the thread, but someone had posted some decals made for a Prostar, and the company was Iguana Grafix. It looks like they do vessel numbers too, I had checked them out when I had seen the post. It's www.iguanagrafix.com in case anyone wants to check them out for a winter project too. Just post something if you use them and they look cool.
Nice work here, though!:woohoo:

ctjahn
09-12-2012, 08:53 AM
I did contact them and they do have the classic MasterCraft font too..

cj

sam196370
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I'd be interested to see the classic MC font, wish they had told me that when I called....

I just ordered the single color base numbers and since the boat is grey I picked the closest color - didn't know they would have the same flake as gelcoat. They also come pre-arranged so no lining up each number/letter - just peel and stick; after some prep work...

ctjahn
09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I contacted them (Via the web site) right after this because my graphics guys couldnt even come close... so I settled.

They sent me a proof of red letters over white which appeared exact! I sent them pics of my boat last night or the night before and they are working on a proof for me... We will see...

Cj

maristardd
09-13-2012, 01:01 PM
They also come pre-arranged so no lining up each number/letter

I just did my domed reg numbers. They are pre-arranged, but in my experience you still need to tweak each letter slightly, because of curvature of hull. Otherwise the letters are straight relative to each other, but not relative to any lines of your hull.

I put a strip of masking tape as a top guide for the tops of letters/number alignment - with the reg numbers this is easy to work against since the Mastercraft domed font has straight top edges. Then stick one letter at a time, for me left to right is easier. Line up top letter of first letter just under masking tape guide and affix. Peel backing more for second letter, and this is the trick, move letter slightly closer to first letter, lining up top of letter with guide, while pulling slack back out of top of letter on sheet. You'll get a little accordion fold on the backing tape you discard, as you will end up with bottom of letter being slightly closer than top of letter, in order for top of each letter to line up with masking tape.

Sorry if obvious or common knowledge - but I've seen enough poorly affixed reg numbers (including my original ones) that I thought I would mention this. (old/new pict below)

bikenskijerm
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I just received my numbers from these guys yesterday and they look fantastic in the paper. Will post pictures when I get them on. Mine we $79.99 with shipping but I got the chrome outline with matches the MC logo on the boat. Even the same font.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-13-2012, 01:23 PM
You guys are installing these "wet", right?

Using a drop of dish soap in a full spray bottle of water and spraying both the boat and the back of the vinyl so you can move them around to get them lined up exactly as you want them.

MC209
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
good advice, then you get more than one stab at putting them on!
You guys are installing these "wet", right?

Using a drop of dish soap in a full spray bottle of water and spraying both the boat and the back of the vinyl so you can move them around to get them lined up exactly as you want them.

Specter
09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
I can also attest to the quality of these. I went with black/chrome/black border with chrome fill and couldn't be happier.

To answer the application question, I applied mine dry.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8455/7895269268_3a5d90f0d1_b.jpg

CC2MC
09-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I am planning on making my own letters. They will just be the regular vinyl, but I can pick any font I want. I found a font on the net that very closely resembles the MC font that I think I am going to use. I was thinking about getting some silver carbon fiber textured vinyl just for something different. I get the boat registered next month as i do not want to pay a year's worth just for a month and have to renew a month later. I bought it in another state and will have to change the registration numbers.

petermegan
09-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I am very curious as to how much business picked up for this company since it was posted on here. I for one have rung them and will be getting a set. Wouldn't surprise me if they have 100 new customers from the one post. Great marketing medium! Someone should ask them whether their phone has been running off the hook.