PDA

View Full Version : Put a few hours on the boat today - Have some issues

BigBarney
09-04-2005, 12:28 AM
I talked my wife into going to a local lake with me today to burn the gas out of the boat before winter storage. I'd sure appreciate any advice with the following:

1) I had an isolator (Hellroaring Technologies) and 2 batteries installed on the boat when I bought it. A deep cycle and a cranking battery. My understanding was that when the engine was not running and with the key on the accessory mode (turned counter-clockwise), power would only be drained from the deep cycle, thus saving me from a dead cranking battery. Last night I was finishing up my satellite antenna install and played the radio for maybe 20 minutes in accessory mode. This morning, my cranking battery is dead (approximately 8 volts). I assume that the isolator is wired incorrectly. Before I start tearing this thing apart, how can I check to see how this thing is working? FYI - both batteries in the boat are new.

2) After about an hour cruising, I stopped the boat to check things out. Opened the rear storage (port side) and the carpet was wet in the back corner. I had a stainless steel rubrail put on at the beginning of summer. Could this be the culprit or should I be looking elsewhere?

3) My perfect pass displays 0.0 speed. Last time I took it out, it worked fine. I did the recommended test per perfect pass (go through menu to see if it registers water temp) to determine if the wiring was working. The wheel is turning. What next? I seem to remember someone talking about taking wheel apart and cleaning it, but am not 100% clear. Do I take it apart from the bottom, or through the top?

Other than that, everything worked great and the wife wants to go back out on Monday. I want to take the girls so I can finally get some pictures of them. Probably be on a tube, but better that than nothing.

G-man
09-04-2005, 08:57 AM
perfect pass paddle wheel unscrews by the large ring that surrounds it inside the bilge. NOTE there is an arrow on the top pointing toward the front of the boat when putting back in.

bigmac
09-04-2005, 09:47 AM
3) My perfect pass displays 0.0 speed. Last time I took it out, it worked fine. I did the recommended test per perfect pass (go through menu to see if it registers water temp) to determine if the wiring was working. The wheel is turning. What next? I seem to remember someone talking about taking wheel apart and cleaning it, but am not 100% clear. Do I take it apart from the bottom, or through the top?

Displaying 0.0 suggests that the paddlewheel is completely out of the circuit, but if the temp works, and the paddlewheel spins, about all you can do is try a system reset. I'd also go around and unplug/replug the paddlewheel connector in the bilge, behind the driver's kickboard, and at the module.

edit: after you've cleaned the paddlewheel, that is, as described in the previous post.

zberger
09-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Batteries could be wired to the isolator incorrectly.. thus draining the wrong one. Thats what it sounds like has happened.

I would try and mate both of those batteries to the exact same one.. preferably bought at the same time also.

Optima blue tops work fantastic for marine applications.

blfdjeff
09-04-2005, 05:58 PM
The wet spot in the corner could be a leaking muffler. It happened to me and I just about was ready to pull my hair out trying to figure it out.

As for the batteries, I don't think twenty minutes or so of any stereo would drain a good battery. Mine will play for a couple of hours (amp and all) and the starting battery cranks it with no problem.

BigBarney
09-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Update:

Tonight I took the perfect pass paddle wheel out and looked it over. No debris or anything appeared to be keeping the wheel from spinning. Planning on taking the boat out tomorrow and will try it again.

I also used a voltmeter on the batteries. When I have the radio on, both batteries are losing volts. Apparent now that the isloator is hooked incorrectly. I'll have to do some more studying on this.

Forgot to mention in my 1st post - my fuel gauge is srewed up too. The needle registers past the "F" when the boat is running. Does not move until I cut the engine and then goes back to past "F" when I restart. Didn't do this when I first got the boat out from storage a couple of months ago. Any ideas what the problem is?

redmike
09-05-2005, 12:51 AM
on the fuel gauge: check the ground on the fuel sending unit, the gauge does what you described if the hot lead is grounded. Good luck

Leroy
09-05-2005, 01:02 AM
BigBarney, I'm starting to think you need to have an exorcism! :uglyhamme

BigBarney
09-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Leroy,

I am planning to purchase a live chicken and sacrifice him to remove all of my demons causing these problems.

BTW, took the boat out yesterday and now the interior speakers don't work! When I fade to the tower speakers - no problem. But fading all the way to the interior speakers produces no sound.

I am starting to compile an "Issues" list rapidly.

Leroy
09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
:D Stuff happens and you fix it!

Sounds like you need to spend some time with a VOM tracing voltages and checking all connectors, wiggle test. Several electrical issues

zberger
09-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Leroy,

I am planning to purchase a live chicken and sacrifice him to remove all of my demons causing these problems.

BTW, took the boat out yesterday and now the interior speakers don't work! When I fade to the tower speakers - no problem. But fading all the way to the interior speakers produces no sound.

sounds like the amplifiers RCA's came disconnected to me..

SteveO
09-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Does your x30 have a standard speedo and the speedo on the perfect pass? If so, are both dead? If only one is dead, it most likely is the wiring harness. If both are deadm it is mostl likey the paddle wheel itself. Mine died without warning earlier this year. Good luck

BigBarney
09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
SteveO,

What did you have to replace?

Ric
09-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Leroy,

barney if you've disconnected the battery lately, refer to this reset procedure for the clarion (assuming your Head unit is clarion?)
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=247&forum=10&category=2

SteveO
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
SteveO,

What did you have to replace?

Just the paddle wheel,which had a 3-4 ft male wiring harness that plugged into the female end by the bilge pump. My buddy with a 209 had to replace the harness from the control unit because he only had one speedo go down, meaning it was not the paddle wheel.

BigBarney
09-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Ric,

It is a Clarion CMD4. Not sure if the bulletin applies to this model. I'll give Clarion a call to make sure.

SteveO - how did you troubleshoot down to verifying that the paddlewheel was the problem? BTW, I only have the speedo on the PP.

SteveO
09-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Stopped by the Tige dealer with the boat, which was close to the house and borrowed one of their paddle wheels and plugged it directly into the PP master module. With the the key on, when you spin the paddle wheel, the speedo will show some speed. I then got one from the MC dealer, because the PS 209 I have was prewired with the PP harness and it was a simple plug by the bilge pump vs re running the wiring back to the dash.

PendO
09-07-2005, 01:21 AM
barney if you've disconnected the battery lately, refer to this reset procedure for the clarion (assuming your Head unit is clarion?)
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=247&forum=10&category=2

When the battery gets unplugged on our 04 we have to use the reset procedure you spoke of, we just put the instructions with the registration and you will always have them as you never remember until you are out on the water;)

Stole this from the mymastercraft.com site

Service Advisory # 2003.JULY.SA-005 Condition: Clarion has continued to upgrade product and has done so with the stereo equipment for the 2004 model year. MasterCraft technicians were not aware of a "programming change" necessary for boats equipped with tower speakers and/or subwoofers. This simple adjustment is made utilizing the button on the stereo unit face to the far right (top button). Procedure: The following will restore the programming of the rear RCA pre-amp outputs to full frequency range. 1) Press and hold [b:d88e03a284]"Title/ADJ"[/b:d88e03a284] button for two seconds 2) Use [b:d88e03a284]"SEARCH" [/b:d88e03a284]button to scroll through the menu until the display reads "SW LPF". 3) Press the [b:d88e03a284]"VOL UP/DOWN"[/b:d88e03a284] button to engage [b:d88e03a284]"REAR"[/b:d88e03a284] full frequency range audio signal. 4) Once the desired adjustments are completed, press [b:d88e03a284]"TITLE/ADJ"[/b:d88e03a284] button to exit program menu. NOTE: MASTERCRAFT WAS PREPARRED TO CORRECT ALL STEREOS IN FACTORY INVENTORY AND COMING OFF THE LINE; HOWEVER, WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT IF THE BATTERY SOURCE IS DISCONNECTED FOR MORE THAN 48 HOURS, THE RE-PROGRAMMING IS LOST. IF A BATTERY IS REMOVED FOR WINTER STORAGE, THE RE-PROGRAMMING WILL BE NECESARY AGAIN IN THE SPRING.