PDA

View Full Version : Ilmore Impeller pump

sk8salomon
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Anybody changed one out yet?........have fun:mad:

Thrall
09-11-2012, 06:36 PM
That impeller came out of a 2012 boat????
Holy fawk, how many hours? Did the impeller screw up the pump too?
Is the pump harder to get at than the Indmar engines?

sk8salomon
09-12-2012, 05:57 AM
That impeller came out of a 2012 boat????
Holy fawk, how many hours? Did the impeller screw up the pump too?
Is the pump harder to get at than the Indmar engines?

yes, 2012 boat. we already have 350 hours on it, got it in April!;)

much more difficult to change this one out guys. indmar ones are easy, take 4 screws out of housing plate, use two screwdrivers to pop the old one out, pop new one in.

for starters, notice the inner hub is keyed:( no more easy in spline. the key cannot go in afterwards, it is the radius type key so you have to key the shaft 1st, then shove the impeller in correctly and align it. i would suggest to squirt soap on the rubber vanes for sure. if you are a pro, you might get it on the first try, took us 3 tries to get it lined up and keyway back in.

the impeller is accessible from the backside of the pump housing meaning it is facing the engine:( i found the easiest way was to pull back the serpentine belt tensioner and remove the belt. then remove the pump pully via 4 bolts. then the remove in/out hoses so you can spin the housing around and see what the F you are doing. i can't wait to see what happens when folks drop keyways into the bottom of the boat! i'll take some pics and post up.

oh, one more thing. whenever i used to change the impeller on my '07, before i put the new one back in i would always run my finger upstream near the filter and dig out any rubber pieces. first of all, there is no filter like the indmar one, the hose goes straight into the waterpump. secondly, this hose is connected to the waterpump with one of those $hitty fuel line style clamps, not a typical hose clamp that can be easily removed. so in otherwords, you either leave it on or cut it off and put a traditional hose clamp on (at least for some of us who don't have the special fuel line clamp tool). we left the hose on so who knows how much rubber could be stuck up there.

XtwentyNot
09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
We lost one at 10 hours 2012 X25. I changed it with a crappy tool kit and did not remove the belt while in the water. Cleaning out the rubber bits out of the hoses was harder then changing the impeller itself IMO. I now have a cheap 5/16 ratcheting box wrench in the boat like the ones they sell for GM batteries as they are the best tool to get the raw water pump cover off. I can get pics later maybe this one is different, not sure why people are taking off belts.

-Jake

Thrall
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
That sucks, did not notice the keyed shaft. Make sure you put some antiseize on that sucker to aid in removal.
WTH is up with the mfrs maikng the impeller harder and harder to get at?
'96 Prostar, impeller change = 5min
'06 X2, muffler is so d@mn close that you have to use a bos wrench on the cover plate screws and the impeller starts hiting the muffler when it's about half out. Real challenge teh 1st time I changed it, now not so bad with anti seize on the splines.
2012, keyed shaft and the cover plate FACES the engine. Dumb idea, IMO.

sk8salomon
09-12-2012, 11:36 PM
here are some crappy cell phone pics. i should have taken one while the engine was off so you could see the pulley. the green circle is where the coverplate with 4 screws is located to get the impeller out.

88 PS190
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Is that braided hose a heater or a shower?

Looks like a clean up of the hose install would really make that an easier place to access, all the old ones were right up against the pylon anyhow.

sk8salomon
09-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Is that braided hose a heater or a shower?

Looks like a clean up of the hose install would really make that an easier place to access, all the old ones were right up against the pylon anyhow.

yeah, that's a shower line. pita because notice the plastic T between the lines? first couple weeks we got the boat that connection was spraying water everywhere. can't crank down the clamp too much or it will break the plastic.

skijwr
09-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Last year I changed an impeller on a friend's Nautique with PCM engine, its a very similar design. I had to remove the belt driven pump from the engine, in order to change the impeller. Agree, pain in the a$$. Also to make things more challenging its a v-drive, so I had to work half blind, real pain in the a$$....

I am a rookie mechanic, so I easily spent an hour or two or more... The impeller looked just like this one, no vanes left. We hooked a garden hose somewhere downstream in the system to backflush the rubber pieces back out of the system.

sk8salomon
09-13-2012, 07:29 AM
We hooked a garden hose somewhere downstream in the system to backflush the rubber pieces back out of the system.
good idea, never thought of that one!

Sullivan
09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I sold my 2012 so I don't have access to one to look at but I was wondering if it wouldn't have been easier just to unbolt the whole water pump assembly and replace the impeller on a bench. From the pictures this looks very simple.

Latin Flyer
09-13-2012, 10:39 PM
350 hours???????? How? Where do you work? Hare they hiring??????? Congrats men.

sk8salomon
09-15-2012, 05:46 PM
350 hours???????? How? Where do you work? Hare they hiring??????? Congrats men.

lol, it's a ski club, about 12 members, boat runs 7 days a week!

cgoodhue
08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Just changed one out in a 2012 WTT and it took all of 15 min. Harder than they used to be for sure but certainly not difficult. Impeller slid out of the housing with little effort. Some soap will help. Remove the belt, disconnect a couple of hoses, undo the two mounting bolts and remove the unit from the boat. This will save a lot of aggravation.

mikeg205
08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Anybody changed one out yet?........have fun:mad:

How many hours on the impellor? 350? too?