PDA

View Full Version : Preventable double drowning.

ahhudgins
09-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Just another reminder to make sure all non-swimmers wear a life jacket in the boat…no matter how old they are. The 18 yr. old non-swimmer ending up in the water and the 47 year old drowned as well trying to save him.
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2012/sep/08/7/two-people-drown-smith-mountain-lake-ar-2189585/

EVERYONE wears a jacket when swimming off our dock When the teens ask “Why?” I reply “So I don’t have to dive down and find you if something goes wrong”. It’s all I can do to stay afloat (with my jacket on) when my 85 lb dog swims up to me and I tries to hang onto me. I can’t imagine trying to save a full size person who is thrashing around for dear life. I hope I'm never in that situation.

occva
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
My kids dont like it, but know it is my rule. They even had them on at the beach this summer.

It was a six year old that drowned the weekend before on Smith Mountain Lake. Dont know if he had a jacket on or not.

ahhudgins, how is the water level on leesville?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2012, 06:56 PM
In similar manner, I won't pull someone without them wearing a Coastguard approved vest. If they go down hard, I want them to float.

jgraham37128
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I agree, I NEVER get in a lake without a life jacket. I can't believe we make everyone wear a seat belt but you can get in a lake without a life jacket. I see people jumping off bluff's all the time and 90% don't even have a life jacket.

I love the one's that show them on a surfboard or wake board and no life jacket. That's real smart! If I wasn't going to ride either one hard enough to not need a life jacket I would just stay in the boat! I would be all for the moderators to remove any pic when someone is in the lake and doesn't have a life jacket.

ahhudgins
09-10-2012, 09:28 PM
My kids dont like it, but know it is my rule. They even had them on at the beach this summer.

It was a six year old that drowned the weekend before on Smith Mountain Lake. Dont know if he had a jacket on or not.

ahhudgins, how is the water level on leesville?

The report I heard on the 6 year old was that he wasn't wearing a jacket and the last time anyone saw him, he was walking on the dock. Very sad. I go the lake by myself during the week to mow grass and I always put my jacket on before I take a dip in the lake. We've been requiring jackets on the dock for long that I feel strange swimming without one.

I heard that SML was down 2 feet. Leesville is normally down on the weekends but they kept it full pond this past weekend. I guess they were holding water in to pump back into SML rather than letting it flow down river. Leesville looks better full pond, but it makes it VERY trashy. I was dodging sticks/logs/trees all weekend.

occva
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
SML is down... Very shallow at the far end of the slalom course. 3 or 4 feet.

ahhudgins
09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
I agree, I NEVER get in a lake without a life jacket. I can't believe we make everyone wear a seat belt but you can get in a lake without a life jacket. I see people jumping off bluff's all the time and 90% don't even have a life jacket.

I love the one's that show them on a surfboard or wake board and no life jacket. That's real smart! If I wasn't going to ride either one hard enough to not need a life jacket I would just stay in the boat! I would be all for the moderators to remove any pic when someone is in the lake and doesn't have a life jacket.

Be careful, some people get really offended when you mention a “requirement” to wear a PFD when swimming. But come on, why in the world would anyone get in a boat without one if they couldn’t swim?

We had the one drowning last year at Leesville when the pregnant woman got off of her raft and the water was over her head. Her friend tried to save her but had to let her go because the victim kept pushing her under. I guess the best rule of thumb is to throw them a PFD or the cushion. In VA we are required to have the throw cushion within reach at all times. I got a warning for having mine in the V-drive compartment.

JohnnyB
09-11-2012, 02:09 PM
I am overdue to have the discussion with my wife and kids regarding how to deal with someone struggling/drowning in the water.

I am very confident in my own rescue ability and techniques. However, my wife/kids/friends are often swimming from our dock during the day while I'm at work.....we need to review the:

Reach - Throw - Row - Don't go

Also, like many, the necessary things aren't at the dock but rather usually up by the garage which is about 85ft away...probably should remedy that, too

jmhjgh
09-11-2012, 05:28 PM
I agree with being safe, but I don't require life jackets on the dock or while swimming. I agree that people that are not competent swimmers should not be in the boat or in areas that are unsafe with a PFD. Part of the enjoyment of swimming is using masks and flippers to find items and search for things along the bottom of the lake. There is a difference between swimming and floating.

TRBenj
09-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Looking back at when I took swimming lessons in the mid 80's, I cant believe they didnt require us to wear life jackets while swimming in that pond. Crazy.

I also believe people should wear helmets 24/7.

Kyle
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I would be all for the moderators to remove any pic when someone is in the lake and doesn't have a life jacket.

I take it you dont like the swim suit thread......The entire thread would fit terms for termination under your rule.

What about Pics where people are in the lake and hanging out by the beach area having a few beers? Those pics of the fine scenery would also qualify for termination.

Lets dont go overboard because someone else made a poor decision and punish everyone on here......

Not everyone is lacking COMMON SENSE

GoneBoatN
09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Being involved with Boy Scouts I was fortunate enough to take a 5 day Lifeguard training. Now having the experience I would take such a course even without being involved in Boy Scouts at a drop of the hat.

Reach, Throw, Row, Go. You only go if you know what you are doing. The guy who drowned attempting to save the other in all likelihood had the proper items to safely do a go, but did not know... One uses rope (dock lines, tied together if necessary for extra length) and a tender (the other adult who was on the boat). A bowline knot with the loop over your shoulder so that you can be dragged back if you get into trouble performing the rescue. You swim the rope out and around the person in trouble so you don't come in contact with the person in distress. You only approach the person if they are unconscious. The tender then drags you both back in. I taught the line rescue to about 6 scouts this summer as it is a first class requirement.

In addition to a throw cushion, I keep a throw bag/line in the boat. Kids love to practice with it!