PDA

View Full Version : 01 X-Star Factory Ballast

mcookgraphics
09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Just bought 2001 X-Star and trying our luck with wake surfing. It has the factory 2 hard tanks in the rear, and soft in the ski locker (Pump doesn't work on this one)

What is the weight of the factory ballast? For us newbies it seemed to make a decent wake but I have nothing to compare it to.

Where is the pump for the ski locker ballast? I need to replace it.

cwarndahl
09-10-2012, 03:47 PM
im not sure if the xstar is the same as mine, i believe it is a guy on here swatguy i think has the same xstar as you and seems to be the same as mine. my factory tanks in the x-10 are 225 pounds each, i replaced my factory ski locker bag with a fat sac from wakmakers. i think it was 300 pounds i replaced it with a 400 pound bag. but all 3 input pumps on mine are in the back of the bout directly mounted to there rear of the boat next to the drain plug. the best way to tell if you have the same is look by your drain plug and see if you have 3 more, with a threaded plastic pipe with a screen on it. here is a pic of mine.

JRW160
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Factory hard tanks are 250 each. The ski locker sac is about 300lbs

Cary K.
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Congrats on the new boat, you will love it.

The rear tanks weigh +/- 250 lbs each, and the ski locker is +/-400.

The ski locker pump (on my '01) is close to the gas tank under the engine compartment. The rear tanks are about midway of the engine. Mine also use the replaceable cartridges, so you should just be able to replace the cartridge, not the whole pump.

One other note, and you will probably get this comment a lot, but go ahead and switch the rear tanks out for 750 lb sacs. Much better wake and wave, and very simple install.

mcookgraphics
09-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info!

76S&S
09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Remove the factory hard tanks and install bags (450's or 750's) in their place. It gives you more weight/options.

Edit: For wakeboarding you will need additional weight in the bow to run these bags.

swatguy
09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
As mentioned when u get a chance pull those hard tanks and install bags. You get more storage when empty an more weight for boarding and surfing. Since you are already surfing jump straight up to the 750's ad be done. You can fill them however much you want for boarding if you don't want the extra weight, but then you still have the optimal weight to fill for surfing.

Wakemakers.com have all the info and parts as this is a super common upgrade. It's almost a simple plug an play swap, you just need the bags, a little extra hose and some fittings. Not sure if you 01 has check valves on the intakes or if the original owner left the manual gates located on the wall of the dividers. If neither are there you need a check valve on the intake line because the five of the water with te 750lb bag will push back out the pump intake.

Your intake pumps should be located on the rear transom. Either in yellow cartridges or red. You can just buy a replacement motor/ cartridge and leave the housing in place. I recommend upping from the factory 500gph or 750gph, can't recall which was factory, And going to the 1100gph motor. It fits the same housing and plug and will cut down your full time. Take the cartridge out by hand, you flip the tab up and twist te pump motor and it pops right out. Try and spin the blades by hand. Sometimes they just jet seized up if they are not used.

The center factory sac is around 350. They no longer make a direct replacement. You have to do a custom sac to get the optimal dimensions, Not sure what Wakemakers sold CWARNDAHL, but as long as the ports are on the one end of the bag and not te top it's perfect. The fly high tube/locker sac has pretty close to the same specs but if you want to attach it to you factory pumps it attaches on the top of the bag so the hoses make your locker pop up. If you just fill it and leave it without the hoses from the system it will fit fine and not bulge your locker door up.

If you do upgrade the rear hard tanks you are going to want to put some weight in the nose for both surfing and boarding. The easiest and simplest solution is to buy a 500lb sac and fill it in the walkway. Even with the factory ballast you will notice a much firmer wake with just that sac filled to 350lbs. This boat loves weight in te bow. It will also extend your surf pocket.

Also if you plan on cruising around the lake and what not. I keep te center sac filled. It really helps the boat handle the chop well

The empty pumps for the tanks are attached to the tank and the empty pump for you center sac is next to the center plug.

mcookgraphics
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks, that's exactly the info I need. I think for now I'm going to replace one hard tank with a 750 and leave the factory tank on drivers side. If the need arises I can replace the other hard tank. We surf and hydrofoil but rarely wakeboard. I'll explore this weekend for the pumps but at first glance I haven't found them. If anyone has Picts that would help. Thanks to everyone for the help. This forum is a must have!!

76S&S
09-12-2012, 09:49 AM
The port and starboard pumps are in the back of the lockers behind the panel. The KGB pump should be under the rear seat.

JRW160
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
The port and starboard pumps are in the back of the lockers behind the panel. The KGB pump should be under the rear seat.
I think that is only correct for 2002 and up with impeller pumps. 2001 was the last year of the aerator pumps.

swatguy
09-12-2012, 02:42 PM

That would be correct if he had an 02 or on x star. They would be reversible pumps. However he has the original aerator system . The pumps are located under the silent master exhaust on the transom near the floor. The easiest way to get to them is pop the divider and put your head to the floor and look back. They are there just hard to see without contorting your body

mcookgraphics
09-12-2012, 04:07 PM
It appears the fill pumps are mounted on the dividers between the engine and locker/hard tanks, apparently an older type that are expensive to replace according to the dealer. Believe pumps said flo jet?

swatguy
09-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Those are not the original pumps then or the original system. Take some pics.

Can't say I have ever heard of jet flow

mcookgraphics
09-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I'll post pics tomorrow and double check the name.

76S&S
09-12-2012, 05:15 PM
That would be correct if he had an 02 or on x star. They would be reversible pumps. However he has the original aerator system . The pumps are located under the silent master exhaust on the transom near the floor. The easiest way to get to them is pop the divider and put your head to the floor and look back. They are there just hard to see without contorting your body

Oops, my bad, didn't realize there was a difference in the pumps/location between 01 and 02.
Live and learn:o

swatguy
09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Oops, my bad, didn't realize there was a difference in the pumps/location between 01 and 02.
Live and learn:o

Funny thing is in actuality you were correct as someone did a "ballast job" to his boat

mcookgraphics
09-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Ballast pumps are Flojet Mod 4105-527. They have a mastercraft part #300208 so I assume factory installed them? I removed the passenger side hard tank and replaced with a fly high 750. With my current pumps, took about 15 minutes to fill 750. Seems like forever when you're sitting and waiting! Kept Factory hard tank on drivers side and factory ski locker bag but one of the pumps is bad. Is it worth it to redo the plumbing on the 750 fly high sac and put a faster pump as I have to buy a new pump anyway? (I found factory replacement pumps online for around $100.) I assume to change hoses/fittings/intakes etc. to bigger size is a pain significantly more money?

swatguy
09-14-2012, 02:20 PM
They may have an mc part number but those are not factory pumps by any means. They are 3.3 gallons per minute. That's 198 gph( gallons per hour). That is an insanely low pump. Your bilge pump is 500-750 gph. Someone cheaped out on the pumps. That is why you time is so long. I wouldn't use a ballast pump with under a 750 gph rating.

I have tsunami 1200gph pumps in my boat. I would highly suggest gutting those things and replacing them with a Johnson reversible pump from Wakemakers.com or wherever u find it cheap. Again those are not installed by mc from the factory for any ballast system I am aware of and I have been doing ballast stuff since it was put in boats in 1999. Even their flow jet eBay add says it's an mc part but I again have never seen one attached to an mc ballast system. Maybe a wash down pump

michiganTristar
09-14-2012, 02:28 PM
If you end up ordering any ballast parts go with wakemakers, i just ordered with them this week for the first time and teamtalk members get 10% off the total order, also they ship for free and have no sales tax included in their price. Very fast shipping as well.

Cary K.
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I think my binding blaster pump was a FLoJet, but my ballast pumps were definitely the yellow canister replaceable cartridge pumps.

swatguy
09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Ahhhh forgot about the blaster pump. Good call. And that would be mounted on the divider wall

mcookgraphics
09-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the patience, obviously I'm in over my head but I'm trying to learn as I go. Looks like the current discharge pumps are ok, they are yellow canisters reading 1000gph. I assume the johnson "reversible pump" means it fills and discharges? Would it replace the current discharge pump as well? Sorry if its a dumb question, just trying to understand what I'm getting into!!

swatguy
09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
No that Johnson reversible pump will not work. The system you have has a pump to empty and a pump to fill. If one of those pumps is out then you need to replace it with another of the same style. The common name for the up
Pumps you have are aerator pumps. With the 1000 gph you have that is the optimal system as far as you can get with the stock system. The only way to now to cut your fill time is to gut the entire system. The limiting factor is the hose size. The 3/4 in hose only will allow so much flow.

So I being the insane person I am..... Gutted my entire system and went with Tsunami 1200 pumps and 1 1/8 hose to replace my original yellow 1000gph pumps. It cut my fill times almost in half for my 750's. But agin I had to gut the entire system. My only issue was the inlets for the pickups out of the transom. I had to leave the 3/4 inch holes in my transom in order for te fill lines as I didn't want to pay to have them filled in and re gelcoated only to drill 2 more pickup holes in my hull for a wider diameter. I alsO replaced all my exit ports and vent lines with 1 inch fittings for the empty cycle.

The board is here for questions so don't worry. We all started at one point. Once you get it figured out it helps a ton and will save you tons of time instead of waiting for a dealer to fix it. These boats are simple Unlike the computer drive boats of today.

mcookgraphics
09-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I'll start searching online and see if I can find a replacement that will work. If you come across one, please send me a link.

swatguy
09-14-2012, 10:47 PM
You just need the black motor cartridge. No need to buy the entire housing as well. You will just need to splice the old quick connect adapter if your boat has it in the old pump.

Here is just a quick add on eBay to give you an idea.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150885255691

mcookgraphics
09-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks!!!!

mcookgraphics
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Wakemakers recommends replacing my pumps with ATTWOOD TSUMANI 800 GPH Ballast cartridge aerator pump. Part # 22001. Just wanted second opinions this will work before I order?
thanks

Cary K.
09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Yes they will work without any problem, but you will have 800gph pumps. You can buy just the cartridges for the stock pumps up to 1200 gph. To get 1200 in the Tsunami's, you have to change your hose size, and all associated components. (I did see they sell Tsunami 1200 cartridges, but have no idea if you can mount those in an 800 housing). You can with the stock type.

I like the Tsunami pumps, but I just re-did my system this spring, and I stuck with the same type of Mayfair/Johnson aerators that came out, but in the larger gph.

swatguy
09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Yea you can replace them with those. They have same thread size. Like mentioned above tho you will be dropping gph vs your current pump.

As far as swapping tsunami 800 with 1200 motor. Def no go. Won't work. What also helps the 1200 almost half the fill time of the tsunami 800 is the larger ports for intake and pumping to the sorce. 1 1/8 inch vs 3/4 inch on 800

mcookgraphics
09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks. I'll make these work for now. They are ordered and on their way.