PDA

View Full Version : Too much steam?

seaforth
09-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I was reading a thread on exhaust smoke and steam etc, and thought hm, my boat tends to steam. I also noticed recently that the boat was running a bit warm, ( 175f, slightly hotter if running 3500rpm or greater for extended periods ). I was thinking hot exhaust in 68 degree water would likely produce steam?

I popped the raw water intake hose off the top of the trans cooler and removed a huge wad of weed today, this might have something to do with running warm.

Here is a shot of the steam - look normal? or should I start making espresso?

JimN
09-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Checking the oil cooler for debris is recommended as something to do before taking the boat out every time, according to the MC manual.

redmike
09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
seaforth, is it still steaming that much since you found the weeds in your tranny cooler?

seaforth
09-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I have not had a chance to get out since I cleaned the cooler. With the weeds I was running 175-180f. I will have to check on the next outing. Was thinking this weekend but then thought I would go easy on the gas

The image i posted is at first throttle up, after running for a short while there appears to be little or no steam, at least I don't see it when I'm skiing.

Curious to know what is consider normal for steam, white smoke etc, none at all, a little, depends on water temp etc.

J. Patterson
09-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Over the years I have learned that when I notice steam in the exhaust, that I also notice my boat to be a bit louder. Usually needs an impeller when this happens. Of course trans cooler obstruction could cause the same symptoms. These changes can be noticable even before the temp guage reads hotter,

J. Patterson
Trussville, AL