PDA

View Full Version : 78 s&s exhaust hose help

Mike Ingram
09-09-2012, 12:51 AM
At the lake today and started takin in water. Lots. !! Pulled rest seat following the sound and saw my exhaust hose that connects the muffler to the thru the hull flange leaking. Pushed it and it really started leaking.

My question to you fine people is what is the trick to replacing this hoses. Or all of the exhaust hoses while I'm at it Thanks

phickman
09-09-2012, 03:07 AM
You will take off the back panel in front of the gas tank. Remove the tank. There will be two metal straps that hold the tank screwed to the stringers. You will have to remove fuel tank wires, vent hose, and fill hose. Hope fully your floor does not go all the way to the back of the boat, most likely it does not. Your hoses will be on the out side of the stringers. You will then have access to your exhaust hose trim that the flaps mount to on the outside of the boat. Take these loose and expose the rough hole going outside. You will also take it loose from the exhaust riser. You can then thread the old one thru the floor and out the back of the boat. Do the reverse to put back together. Easy project. www.skidim.com will have the new hose.

I have seen people inspect the hose and if it was just bad in one spot you can section it and replace the cut out with pvc pipe and hose clamp it in place. That is the redneck bubble gum duct tape fix. Chances are if it has deteriorated in one area enough to leak, it will have other compromised areas.

Not a big deal, you will learn a lot about your great ski tug by projects like this.

Paul

Mike Ingram
09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Ok. Got the pipes out. Just as yall said. Very easy. Mufflers were only worn a little in one spot. Upper hoses in good shape and lowers were shot. Didn't look like the proper hoses. What is the correct hose. These had wire.

Question about the mufflers. They are blue and look like they have a cup or baffle in them. Question is... Which way is up. Looks like it would matter but maybe not.

So tempting to out abs pipes in just to hear it. But I think I stay stock

Mike

phickman
09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
those marine mufflers are plastic anyway. If they have a hole in them you can patch with fiberglass and paint. Most I have seen are black or like ford engine blue. Repair vs buy. They are pricey. My 1973 and 1970 have straight hose. It is actually not that much louder than with mufflers. I think 77 was the first year of mufflers anyway.
Link at skidim.. wire and no wire. Bottom of page.
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1139

phickman
09-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I would doubt it would matter which was up or down. You might lose a little hp without mufflers. Has to do with back pressure. At that point....out of my pay grade on the theory behind it.