PDA

View Full Version : Andorid tablet

TOO-TALL
09-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Looking at buying a andorid tablet.

Anyone have one pros/ cons

rholmes
09-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Is it for playing with at the house or taking with you to travel and using out an about? If you want to be lazy and not use a laptop at home or don't have a laptop, get a 10in model. If you are serious about sitting at wifi hotspots out on the town, etc, get a 7ish in model. Otherwise, have at it. GPS isn't really needed if you don't have one that has a cell internet plan. People talk about loading the google maps for where they want to go then hopping in the car and using gps to navigate their way there.... Yeah, not so much, especially of you are solo.... Also make sure you get one that has access to the google play market. There are some that have android market or amazon market. The largest app market is the google play one. It does make a difference. Also, dual core processor models really run much better on the larger display models, but there aren't too many manufacturers out there except for the off brands that seem to still make single core processor models....

That's all I can think of. I bought my wife one two weeks ago, went with an acer iconia a500 (used on craigslist). For e-reading and general surfing, she gets about 7.5 - 8 hours with the display set to auto and it is a 10in model.

TOO-TALL
09-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I know nothing about tablets.I do have a laptop just looking for something else to play around with at home.
Probably won't take it around town.Was thinking I could use it at the gym.
Found a 7" online for 75.00 free shipping.

Thanks for the reply.

TXX9
09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Love my 8" Vizio. I use it alot at home and traveling. It is great for an ereader, surfing the net at airports and hotels, and using the forum app (tapatalk) to keep up with the forums. I used to carry a laptop when I travelled, now it's just the tablet. Only downsides are storage space, and lack of ability to watch DVDs.

milkmania
09-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Is it for playing with at the house or taking with you to travel and using out an about? If you want to be lazy and not use a laptop at home or don't have a laptop, get a 10in model. If you are serious about sitting at wifi hotspots out on the town, etc, get a 7ish in model. Otherwise, have at it. GPS isn't really needed if you don't have one that has a cell internet plan. People talk about loading the google maps for where they want to go then hopping in the car and using gps to navigate their way there.... Yeah, not so much, especially of you are solo.... Also make sure you get one that has access to the google play market. There are some that have android market or amazon market. The largest app market is the google play one. It does make a difference. Also, dual core processor models really run much better on the larger display models, but there aren't too many manufacturers out there except for the off brands that seem to still make single core processor models....

That's all I can think of. I bought my wife one two weeks ago, went with an acer iconia a500 (used on craigslist). For e-reading and general surfing, she gets about 7.5 - 8 hours with the display set to auto and it is a 10in model.

will this scenario work?
have a jailbroken iphone and a wifi hotspot app (PDANET) with grandfathered AT&T data plan.
I'm thinking I can use a tablet during travel, and sitting in car waiting on customers (for hours sometimes)
I currently do it with my laptop, but it's cumbersome....
Plus, I want to use Google Maps Navigation that I've seen on the Android based phones.
Iphone's GPS interface SUCKS!!!!!:mad:

rholmes
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
It should work just fine for you milk. Again, the focus is really more to play then dedicated work IMHO. The keyboard is great for quick notes, but gets cumbersome if you start typing up a proposal. I know they have bluetooth keyboards, but that kind of defeats the purpose when a smaller laptop will work fine. If you plan on using nav, the gps works quite well in these. I would suggest the smaller screen sizes like the acer a100 or a nexus 7. Best bet would be to go fondle them at a local best buy or similar to verify you are comfy with the size. Again, I travel for work and have to have a company laptop, otherwise I think I would get a 7in model for traveling with.

curtish
09-10-2012, 12:28 AM
This might help:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47233

Long story short we are happy with our Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7".

JRW160
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I have a kindle fire and have been happy with it. The new ones come out this week. $160 for the regular one and $200 of the fire hd. The nexus 7 looks pretty nice too.