PDA

View Full Version : Boat Dock Stupid!!!!!!!!

memphis23
09-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I sat for 30 minutes watching the boat bob up and down and then tied up. I put all of the ropes and buoys in just the perfect spot___ NOT! (f---, s--- d-----)

Now I need your help I really want this to be possibly my last boat and I wanted it to stay cherry I am attaching a pic of the blemishes. I am in Dallas and I need someone to get this back to new. Anybody have any ideas? The dock scratches of course are located only in the blue paint so it is very visible and stretches down the side by about 5 feet. They are not just scratches on the surface they are dug in pretty deep (It was that d--- old Issac that did the deed)

Ok now that addresses the scratches that need to be fixed. Now I need to know how I can avoid this in the future?????? Is there a portable boat flexible strap?

http://i45.tinypic.com/157z0j.jpg

CantRepeat
09-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Kind of Coz sized but fixed.

memphis23
09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
What? (Coz?)

snork
09-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Get in touch with Jeff at TXMC and he'll give you Ted's phone number for the repair
Had you looked into dock bows check out this setup
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25087

ski_king
09-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I added vertical 2x4's to my dock and covered them with carpet. As long as you size the ropes correctly, the only part of the boat that will touch the dock is the rub rail (and that is what a rub rail is for).

This has worked for me for the last 30 years and the railing on the dock is a nice plus.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=8379&stc=1&d=1143679646

tph
09-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Is that paint or gel coat? It looks like paint.

The best way to prevent that is to avoid contact with the dock using whips or having a dock finger on both sides of the boat. When that's not possible, I just use Large fenders placed in the best locations.

Traxx822
09-08-2012, 05:05 PM
were the fenders on the boat or on the dock?

ntidsl
09-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm on a huge part of the Ohio River. Barges, 60 foot cruisers, I'm talking 3-4 foot waves. We use upright posts as pictures above reduce the risk of the boat every getting under the dock. Spring lines are a necessity. Large upright bumpers. Wish I had a good pic.

bobx1
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
4 point tie off if you have room.

memphis23
09-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Snork: This happened on family holiday at a rental property, so I needed something portable. Ever see anything portable?

Traxx: I had four West marine 36" bumpers (attached to the boat) I put two of them together in two locations then sat in the rain and watched the waves and adjusted as needed. I think some monsters must have come in and pulled the bumpers above the dock hit the boat then as the night wore on the dropped back in place.

Tph: Not sure I thought everything was gel coat? Lack of education for me. I don't know the difference.

Snork: I will TMC and get Ted's number. Have you had work done with him before?

ntidsl
09-08-2012, 06:54 PM
That sucks...my stomach would have been turning. I went thru a storm this summer and had my bro in law not been there with me I know the dock would have pulled up and ended up on my boat. We stood in 50 mph winds, him holding the dock down with his weight and me holding the boat in against the dock bumpers so as to not pull the dock up and out. I lived on that river since I was a kid and never saw the wind come from that direction. I immediately redid some lines so that if ever happened again I'm safe. But sooner or later I'm going to have more lines than my cleats can hold...lol...

Good luck finding a solution...its out there...someone will chime in. There are alot of guy who boat on big lakes with nasty storms...they must know some tricks for you.

memphis23
09-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I am going to try some pvc pipe wrapped in foam.

I will cut about a 4' x 2" (not exactly sure about the size yet) pvc slip the tie rope through the foam wrapped pvc pipe then attach at the front and the back of the boat. I am just thinking out load. I have never seen this before but it seems like it might be stiff enough to keep the boat away from the "Devil Dock" I still will need to get out and give this thought a try though

thoughts?

Traxx822
09-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Traxx: I had four West marine 36" bumpers (attached to the boat) I put two of them together in two locations then sat in the rain and watched the waves and adjusted as needed. I think some monsters must have come in and pulled the bumpers above the dock hit the boat then as the night wore on the dropped back in place.

I attach mine to the dock. Then my boat can do whatever it wants with the waves.

snork
09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
dual purpose
when not in play could double as rash guard between boat and dock

Traxx822
09-08-2012, 07:17 PM
dual purpose
when not in play could double as rash guard between boat and dock

thats funny. Its like the bumpers for bowling but for your boat. Training in progress ;)

memphis23
09-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Snork: I like where your Head is At.

Traxx: I only had one side to attach to nothing but lake on the other side of the boat

Traxx822
09-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Snork: I like where your Head is At.

Traxx: I only had one side to attach to nothing but lake on the other side of the boat

What do you mean. Hang from the dock and tie the boat up on the same side. Not a great pic but you can see I have nothing hanging off my boat at all. I leave mine in the water 24/7. My front rope is real long and my rear one really short. I put the fenders in the middle of the two. I hang them on whatever is there. One of my fenders resembles a J and is upside down over the corner the rear is tied up to the same cleat that ties the boat off. I never untie the ropes only loop through the boat cleat and done.

ntidsl
09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Seems he is up against a nasty dock full of sharp metal. Bumpers on dock. Dock lines not too tight but def tighter in back than front. Bumper bottom at water level if possible. You dont want them coming back up.

TLR67
09-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Its always worth the swim to keep it away from things on a rough weekend.... I moor mine all the time..

Legolamb
09-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I'll second the mooring, I think each time I tied to a dock this season I ended up with some kind of damage. I bought one of those screw in dog lease anchors and use that with 8' of rope to moor my boat somewhere away from any dock.

mikeg205
09-09-2012, 10:08 AM
What do you mean. Hang from the dock and tie the boat up on the same side. Not a great pic but you can see I have nothing hanging off my boat at all. I leave mine in the water 24/7. My front rope is real long and my rear one really short. I put the fenders in the middle of the two. I hang them on whatever is there. One of my fenders resembles a J and is upside down over the corner the rear is tied up to the same cleat that ties the boat off. I never untie the ropes only loop through the boat cleat and done.

Thread jack....WS - registration - c'mon traxx get that Wisconsin out of the Illinois River.... :) -

MC209
09-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I anchor buddy my boat every place we go. once you get used to how far out you have to threw your anchor out and how long of lead you need to let it back out from the dock for best results, it is super easy to use and works great. not even close enough to a dock for any damagae to happen. (and looks cool!)

MC209
09-09-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Anchor-Buddy-Anchor-Line&i=33367&str=anchor+buddie&merchID=4005

here is a link to one.. It would not work good for permanent use. but for a few hour tie ups works well.

memphis23
09-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I think anchoring would have been best in this situation. I even had a very good box anchor that would have kept it in place in the boat. Yep hind sight 20/20 that is what I am going to do next time.

Traxx822
09-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Thread jack....WS - registration - c'mon traxx get that Wisconsin out of the Illinois River.... :) -

Still waiting for my IL reg. And supposedly you are supposed to leave the old on there until you get it.

_fng_
09-09-2012, 10:09 PM

I'm pretty sure much of Wisconsin would be fine with limiting the flow in from IL as well!

nsfw
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fibtabs

toolz
09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
I had the same needs this past July- heading to a rental with no dock protection in place. Fortunately I knew what type of dock was there, and bought these bumpers that fit over the dock poles. They went from near the waterline to well above the dock, and gave great protection. When I ordered them, I thought they would be soft foam, but they were a firm hollow plastic that dropped right over the poles. Under $100 for four off Ebay and obviously portable. They fit under the bow cushions in the MC for the next time I need them.

memphis23
09-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Nice product. 2nd pic is great. Nice fish as well!

O2BESOHUGE
09-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I Did The Same Thing. I Added Vertical Posts On The Pier. The Only Part To Touch The Boat Is A 3 1/2" Vertical Post And Not The Entire Pier Edge. Before I Added Them, Waves Would Come In And Almost Rip My Entire Rub Rail Off!

coz
09-10-2012, 09:12 AM
What? (Coz?)

Huh? What? Who? 8p

:D

CottagerGreg
09-10-2012, 09:31 AM
The BEST and ONLY way in my opinion is to use mooring whips. they keep the boat away from the dock and allow for wave movement freely. Easy to setup and easy on the dock, boat.

We routinely have several dozen boats tubing in our bay, large 50' cruisers going by etc. Never an issue.

These are from Dockedge... best $299 you'll spend. You can get them from most marine stores including BassPro.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202012/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwOTA5LTAwODk0LmpwZw.jpg

memphis23
09-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Great pic! Needs to be in glass water thread as well

jdl xstar
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
HUGE pet peeve of mine are docks that do not have vertical posts. Boat rub rails are meant to gently bump up against the posts so why the hell do people build docks without them??? The gelcoat lobby must be pretty powerful in order to suppress the usage of verticle posts so that they can keep themselves busy with customers such as the original poster.

This guy knows whats up:

Kyle
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
First off is your dock a slip kind of dock or one you dock up to off of the side?

Whips work good.

Since I dock at many docks where folks don't have whips I generally throw an anchor off of my bow then back up to the dock and tie off of one of the dock cleats or one of the pilings holding the dock up. I have about a 1'-2' gap between the dock and the platform. Use your anchor to keep the front from swinging around. This way there is no need for bumpers and there is no way for a scratch to show up unless your front anchor is a pos.

Docks that are shaped like an L or T then use the 90* turn and anchor a bow line and stern line and tie off where the boat can't touch the dock.

I hate docks. Now if you tie up this way it is not passenger friendly but it is friendly to your boat.

ps205
11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi memphis23 - I am not sure anyone really answered your question. By the looks of your picture (and its really hard to tell by a picture) it looks like paint to me but without seeing the boat in person it would be really hard to tell but Gel is really, really tough stuff, sharp dense objects are really the only things that can gouge Gel really deep. Here is how the process works.... Experts please feel free to correct if I am way off base

1. Mold is prepped and then the "First color" of Gel is sprayed. (Gel is usually sprayed on many, many coats making it thick and that is why it is so easy to wet sand an buff because of its "Depth" if you will.
2. "Second color" of Gel is sprayed and so on until all colors of the boat have been spayed.
3. Then the fiberglass steps begin and the hull is made.

So all boats are built from the outside in, unlike a car where the outside panals are painted.

Hope that helps. The only way to really tell is to have a marine repair shop look at it.

mikeg205
11-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi memphis23 - I am not sure anyone really answered your question. By the looks of your picture (and its really hard to tell by a picture) it looks like paint to me but without seeing the boat in person it would be really hard to tell but Gel is really, really tough stuff, sharp dense objects are really the only things that can gouge Gel really deep. Here is how the process works.... Experts please feel free to correct if I am way off base

1. Mold is prepped and then the "First color" of Gel is sprayed. (Gel is usually sprayed on many, many coats making it thick and that is why it is so easy to wet sand an buff because of its "Depth" if you will.
2. "Second color" of Gel is sprayed and so on until all colors of the boat have been spayed.
3. Then the fiberglass steps begin and the hull is made.

So all boats are built from the outside in, unlike a car where the outside panals are painted.

Hope that helps. The only way to really tell is to have a marine repair shop look at it.

Usually don't bust for spellin' but to prime to pass up... red highlighted above...no wonder boats don't multiply by themselves...lol ;)

tex
11-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Get in touch with Jeff at TXMC and he'll give you Ted's phone number for the repair
Had you looked into dock bows check out this setup
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25087

Ted is the man!

JimN
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I Did The Same Thing. I Added Vertical Posts On The Pier. The Only Part To Touch The Boat Is A 3 1/2" Vertical Post And Not The Entire Pier Edge. Before I Added Them, Waves Would Come In And Almost Rip My Entire Rub Rail Off!

Do you have bumpers on those posts? If not, WHY NOT?

Check these out-
http://www.dockbumpers.biz/

If you contact this company, tell them JimN from Competition Sports referred you.

JimN
11-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Usually don't bust for spellin' but to prime to pass up... red highlighted above...no wonder boats don't multiply by themselves...lol ;)

I can't be the only one to see the irony in you busting someone for spelling and then you wrote "to prime to pass up' and it should have been 'too prime'.;)

east tx skier
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Memphis, did you ever get in touch with Ted? If not, I have his number.

The closest I tie up to a dock is about 15 yards. Toss out the anchor from the bow eye. Tie a dock line to the transom. Pull the boat in, disembark, and let the anchor buddy pull it back out. Tie off and done.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-C9ND61PoUDI/SLbum5HQhFI/AAAAAAAABXw/9Yj7QlBeWiI/s1024/SN%2520Water%2520Shot%252008-25-2007.jpg

TxsRiverRat
11-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Snork: This happened on family holiday at a rental property, so I needed something portable. Ever see anything portable?

Snork: I will TMC and get Ted's number. Have you had work done with him before?

Why not get a large mud anchor, a 15' off section of rope, a ski buoy and a metal clip?

ted Brown does AWESOME work out of Kaufman - his # is: 214-202-2354

try not to salivate too much as you pass Tanner's ski lakes on the way out there :D

memphis23
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
East Tx: Yes in hind sight I had a box anchor and a rear anchor in the boat and that is how I anchor instead on beaching the boat. I will never make this mistake again.

RiverRat: Thanks for Teds number. I called him when I first started this thread but I was asking him about fixing the gel coat. Do you know if he paints? I am not sure what everyone is saying about strip and wet sand back to gel coat? I don't think that there is any color under the blue stripe. From the looks of it, I think it is just white under the blue stripe based on the picture with the scratches on it

TxsRiverRat
11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
East Tx: Yes in hind sight I had a box anchor and a rear anchor in the boat and that is how I anchor instead on beaching the boat. I will never make this mistake again.

RiverRat: Thanks for Teds number. I called him when I first started this thread but I was asking him about fixing the gel coat. Do you know if he paints? I am not sure what everyone is saying about strip and wet sand back to gel coat? I don't think that there is any color under the blue stripe. From the looks of it, I think it is just white under the blue stripe based on the picture with the scratches on it

No clue if he paints...?

BTW - where do you ski or board?

memphis23
11-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Usually we get up early and hope for a light south wind at Texoma. Also we have a place on Lake Eufaula Ok we go to when we can stay for the entire weekend.

How bout you?

TxsRiverRat
11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Usually we get up early and hope for a light south wind at Texoma. Also we have a place on Lake Eufaula Ok we go to when we can stay for the entire weekend.

How bout you?

Only on my club's sites - Marine Creek Lake or The Trinity River...

do u ski board surf or...?

memphis23
11-29-2012, 04:46 PM
ski and foot wakeboard just to teach the kids how

TxsRiverRat
11-29-2012, 05:35 PM
You should come out and ski with us @ Marine Creek or Trinity man!