PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating Speedo & PerfectPass without Slalom Course on '05 197

BuoyChaser
09-03-2005, 10:15 AM
My father just picked up his 2005 ProStar 197 MCX (350-350) with PerfectPass Digital Pro, but he has no slalom course access on his lake as recommended in the manual to calibrate. The boat speedo doesn't match the PP speed, in fact in my old 85 the RPM and speed use to match. Does anyone have any RPM range values that I could play with in the meantime (say 1/2 tank of gas, base options and 2 people in boat).

In the PP manual it recommends using a GPS to set the speedo to 36mph, then work backwards through the times. Just want to get it dialed in at 36mph for myself and down to 26mph. Any recommendations on a CHEAP GPS that would do the trick, and where to buy (Best Buy, WalMart, ...)?

I'm trying to contact one of the many slalom lakes in his area of Northeast Ohio to see if we can bring his boat there to calibrate.

Here's what PP manual v 6.5N says:

Setting Baselines / Calibrating Speedometer without a Course
If you do not have the benefit of a course, you can manually set baselines and calibrate the speedometer. This must be done at each slalom speed and you will require an accurate boat speedometer or GPS. Example: Starting at 36 mph, you engage system and note actual speed on the GPS is 35. Go into the Menu to [ RPM @ 36.0 3650 ] and raise the baseline about 100 rpm. (This will speed up the boat to about 36 ) Menu back to main screen and run boat again. If speed is now accurate, the final step is to calibrate digital speedometer. Note the digital speed readout and if it is reading 37, go into menu to [ RECAL 36.0 ^ = Yes ] and press yes. [ SPEEDOMTER ADJUST ] will appear. Now press the down button and lower speedo calibration by one mph. Run boat again to confirm accuracy.
Once the baseline and calibration is set, it will be remember forever. Now change speed to 34.2 and repeat. All speeds must be done.

bigmac
09-03-2005, 10:31 AM
My father just picked up his 2005 ProStar 197 MCX (350-350) with PerfectPass Digital Pro, but he has no slalom course access on his lake as recommended in the manual to calibrate. The boat speedo doesn't match the PP speed, in fact in my old 85 the RPM and speed use to match. Does anyone have any RPM range values that I could play with in the meantime (say 1/2 tank of gas, base options and 2 people in boat).

In the PP manual it recommends using a GPS to set the speedo to 36mph, then work backwards through the times. Just want to get it dialed in at 36mph for myself and down to 26mph. Any recommendations on a CHEAP GPS that would do the trick, and where to buy (Best Buy, WalMart, ...)?

I'm trying to contact one of the many slalom lakes in his area of Northeast Ohio to see if we can bring his boat there to calibrate.

Here's what PP manual v 6.5N says:

Setting Baselines / Calibrating Speedometer without a Course
If you do not have the benefit of a course, you can manually set baselines and calibrate the speedometer. This must be done at each slalom speed and you will require an accurate boat speedometer or GPS. Example: Starting at 36 mph, you engage system and note actual speed on the GPS is 35. Go into the Menu to [ RPM @ 36.0 3650 ] and raise the baseline about 100 rpm. (This will speed up the boat to about 36 ) Menu back to main screen and run boat again. If speed is now accurate, the final step is to calibrate digital speedometer. Note the digital speed readout and if it is reading 37, go into menu to [ RECAL 36.0 ^ = Yes ] and press yes. [ SPEEDOMTER ADJUST ] will appear. Now press the down button and lower speedo calibration by one mph. Run boat again to confirm accuracy.
Once the baseline and calibration is set, it will be remember forever. Now change speed to 34.2 and repeat. All speeds must be done.

Calibrating your PP using GPS is simple. If you can't borrow one from a friend, you can buy one for $100. Even the cheapest and most basic GPS devices have speed. Look at Cabela's. (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=gps&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=gps&noImage=0)

erkoehler
09-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Buy one from Target, $99.99, use it to set the speedos, and then return it. Tell them it was defective, and get your money back.

mlange
09-03-2005, 04:25 PM
I picked up the Garmin eTrex from Target, which is I'm guessing is the same one erkoehler is referring to.

Works great as a cheap GPS for speedo calibration. Not of much use otherwise, but perfect for just keeping on the boat.

bigmac
09-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I picked up the Garmin eTrex from Target, which is I'm guessing is the same one erkoehler is referring to.

Works great as a cheap GPS for speedo calibration. Not of much use otherwise, but perfect for just keeping on the boat.

Good choice. It's big limitation is it's lack of mapping, but as a speed/distance/direction device and for on-water navigation, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

BuoyChaser
09-03-2005, 05:35 PM
just called our local Wal-Mart and Target, Wal-Mart didn't have any and Traget has two different versions of the eTrex, one for $99 and another for $170...off to the store to get DIALED IN!!!thanks for all the insight :)

can't believe they don't calibrate these at the factory, it's like buying a new car and not knowing if your speedometer is working until the 1st time you get pulled over!!!grant it there are a lot of variables like weight that directly affect speed, but that's what the crew weight is all about...at least should setup a baseline, because think of how many NOVICE guys there are out there that assume their speedo is right...

BuoyChaser
09-03-2005, 05:49 PM
here's info on Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/ and on Target's, it's completely WATERPROOF

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-2/qid=1125780374/ref=sr_2_2/602-9477912-7627038?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0002VQ3TE

we'll see how it works, but def'n a MUST HAVE to double-check your friend's boats calibration...sometimes you always wonder why your buddies boats always need "QUICK CALIBRATE" after you've taken a set and get behind the wheel...

bigmac
09-03-2005, 07:50 PM
here's info on Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/ and on Target's, it's completely WATERPROOF

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-2/qid=1125780374/ref=sr_2_2/602-9477912-7627038?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0002VQ3TE

we'll see how it works, but def'n a MUST HAVE to double-check your friend's boats calibration...sometimes you always wonder why your buddies boats always need "QUICK CALIBRATE" after you've taken a set and get behind the wheel...

Note that these lower-level eTrex don't have WAAS, so accuracy is impaired. Accurate to 15 meters, compared to the more expensive ones with WAAS that are accurate to 3 meters. This may not be a big deal for your application. Speed measuring for the basic eTrex is still 1/10th of a knot.

Maristar210
09-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Buy one from Target, $99.99, use it to set the speedos, and then return it. Tell them it was defective, and get your money back.

Ethical?

BuoyChaser
09-03-2005, 10:35 PM
ethical is finding a neighbor with a GPS and borrowing theirs...

got everything dialed in with the GPS, took about an hour and 1/8 tank of gas, came up with (factory setting RPM in parantheses):
24.9mph (2505rpm) - calibrated 2465
26.7mph (2635rpm) - calibrated 2650
28.6mph (2780rpm) - calibrated 2845
30.4mph (2950rpm) - calibrated 3050
32.3mph (3145rpm) - calibrated 3275
34.2mph (3360rpm) - calibrated 3495
36.0mph (3600rpm) - calibrated 3750

much easier using a slalom course with magnets, especially calibrated the PP speedo, the +/- .10mph can be confusing...to lower speed you add mph, to raise the speed you decrease mph...seems backwards...

BuoyChaser
09-03-2005, 10:39 PM
would be interesting to compare the GPS calibration accuracy to the slalom course method w/ magnets...i know once i've calibrated my system on the slalom course with magnets, very rarely do i have to adjust (unless someone lies about their weight or we miss calculated the crew weight or have wind)...