PDA

View Full Version : You gotta love this!

Rossterman
09-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Was hearing my friend talk about how well built his chaparral boat is and so i google to see how they are made. On the chapparal boat forum someone asks just this question and here is the response. Almost made me laugh! Typical salesmans propaganda. Some of the replies are fun reading if you are bored. Here's there salesman's response:

Not a lot of wood Dave. There is plywood used in the rear cockpit storage areas covered with carpet on the port and stbd. sides; by the battery switch, etc. Plain to see, but I wish to emphasis that the plywood used is not of The Home Despots variety, but rather real Marine XL Plywood. In short, you are not going to have any issues over the lifetime of the boat where that plywood is located. The odd piece of XL plywood under the cockpit floor for weight transfer and support; again I've never seen any issues. Of great importance is the fact that no wood is used in the seat construction; wood seriously hinders long term seat viability. (a la Four Losers)

The stringers on the Sunesta WideTech's are wood encapsulated in thick fibreglass and gelcoat. Composite stringers are nice for the prevention of rot, but you pay a penalty in ride dynamics vs. wood; more hull boom and the hull passes more of the impact onto the passenger/drivers body. (read: kidneys) The transom is composite.

We have been a Chaparral dealer since 1988, and have yet to seen any rotted wooded stringers on a Chaparral. Lots of rotten stringers on older boats of other makes, but Chap doesn't seem to F around with the stringer systems.

You've asked some keen questions on the Sunesta series; shows your doing you're homework. So has Chaparral. Endgame? Show me a boat that can compete with a new Sunesta WideTech. The short answer is another Chap; i.e. an SSx in my not so humble opinion.

If you have any other questions on boats Dave, don't be afraid to lay it on us.
Chris

TN X-45
09-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Didnt know anyone still did wooden stringer??

d2jp
09-07-2012, 11:10 PM
I've always thought Chaparral made good boats.

wakescene
09-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I've always thought Chaparral made good boats.
I have to agree here too. In my neck of the woods (S. Jersey in salt/tidal waters) there are Chaparral's a plenty. They have good room, handle chop well and fit and finish is good. There are a few in our ski/wakeboard area that toss a pretty good wake to. And like Sea-Ray, they have gotten really good with their designs and style lines.

I agree with the OP though that it is typical salesman talk, but it was refreshing to see he didn't immediately base another manufacturer!

Noit sure about the wood stringers over time, but I guess with the advances in pressure-treatment, infusion and exterior treatments, you could get 30-40 years out of a preperly treated stringer. Heck, the pilings and bulkhead at my house has a 50-year rating against rot, with direct-water contact. That does say something.

bobx1
09-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Chaparral does make good boats. Very popular in our neck of the woods and i have two friends with 15 plus year Chaparral's stiil looking, running, and performing great.

Rossterman
09-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Been out in his boat and like you guys have said, seems real nice, trimmed out well, great fit & finish, and feels very solid. Was just suprised that they use wood still as thought most better boats dropped in favor of composite (like seaswirl and others had done). Sounds like they do a better job of preventing rot now so not much of an issue anymore?

BrooksfamX2
09-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Wood stringers do not make the boat bad....some folks prefer them because they flex and absorb some bumps when in the chop. The XL wood will not rot, unlike wood in the older boats.......

Specter
09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
I agree, the salesman reply is kind of cheesy but all in all Chap's are good boats. We traded our '11 Chap 216 for our new X-30 and I hated to see it go. If I bought an I/O all over again the only brand I would look at more than Chap would be Cobalt.