PDA

View Full Version : What are a good pair of combo skies?

mondos829
09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I an looking for a good pair of combo skies i am still learning on two skies at the moment. But have been using other people stuff. Any sudjestions on whst to buy?

I am 5 ft 9 in 130 lbs.

Or does anyone have anything for sale?

oxberger
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Mondo, do you plan on moving up to slalom skiing or are you looking for a set of skis just to tool around on? For a novice they usually recommend a wide bodied set of skis, they tend to be slower and help when coming out of the water. Someone your size, you'll want a 65" set. If you're looking to progress to a single ski or slalom I would recommend the bottoms to be full concave (these tend to be the easiest to turn, that sometimes makes them a little more difficult to learn on, but once you get the hang of it its a non issue). I wouldn't worry about edge bevel (usually full bevel for novice) or stiffness until you become proficeint at skiing. I'd go with either the Radar X-caliber combos or Connelly Eclipse combos.

BrooksfamX2
09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I like O'Brien Performers.........

http://www.waterskis.com/OBrien-Performer-Pro-Combo-Water-Skis-p/obrien_performer_combos.htm

oxberger
09-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I like O'Brien Performers.........

http://www.waterskis.com/OBrien-Performer-Pro-Combo-Water-Skis-p/obrien_performer_combos.htm

I forgot about those. Those are real nice.

Miss Rita
09-11-2012, 10:04 AM
The Performers are tried and true, have been around for decades. I have a pair from the early 80's or even late 70's. They are a great "adult" air of skis.

In your original post you say that you are 5'9'', 130 lbs. May I suggest a smaller air of skis? A pair of youth-sized combos may be just the ticket.

FWIW, a friend just bought a slalom from Wiley's in Seattle. He questioned them on which brand to get, yada yada yada. He was told that of the several manufacturers in Seattle one is not better than another, and was even told they share the same manufacturing facilities and perhaps the same molds.

The point is that if you get a brand name pair of skis in the style you want you can't go wrong.

Another young woman friend bought a slalom ski at Wiley's, ordered it without talking to them. Something about the order raised a red flag, so they took the initiative to call her, talked to her about her needs, and made suggestion for a different ski. They even took $20 off so that there wouldn't be a price difference that might suggest they were trying to increase their profit margin.

I strongly recommend that you at least talk to Wiley's.

88 PS190
09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Not really knowing what you are planning to do. I agree with youth sized, oversized skis are going to bang off each other and be difficult to turn.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=20798
http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Show_Ski_Eq&postid=18376

Or make a post on ski it again with what you are looking for.

If you at all plan on learning to ski on one, see if you can get up on someone's gear, and if so start going for something that fits.

I like to combo occasionally, mostly when the water is rough and the boat loaded with people. And have been considering mounting some Wiley's wraps on a set of skis I have, most adjustable bindings leave much to be desired, so if you really want to ski, even if you really just want to ski on two skis, consider setting yourself up with a real "sized" binding.

mondos829
09-13-2012, 01:11 PM
i got a pair of radar x-calibar. thanks for the help

CCAnderson
09-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Combo skis are not what the used to be. you can get a set new for ~$130 but do not be tempted - they are garbage. the overall quality of the ski and bindings has gone down hill. I think the manufacturers have outsourced the combos to a single manufacturer. The Connelly and HO skis are the exact same molds and after a year the rocker actually goes negative.

I have no experience with the O'Brien Performers. I would like to get my hands on a set and give them a proper evaluation.

Not that ride combos but if I'm going to teach someone they should not have to learn on crap equipment. I'm actually thinking about building my own wood skis

ncsone
09-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I hate to admit it, but I know a fair amount about combo skis as I used to sell waterskis way back when. In short, all of your mid-range and below combos are going to injection molded foam (or derivative) with fiberglass rods running the length of the ski. These are easy to spot as they are noticeably heavier than a regular ski. And, yes, these can migrate to reverse rocker. In fact, I have seen some O'Brien combos with reverse rocker while still on display at the store.

Your best bet if you want to avoid a bad pair is to get the top-level models. Some of the better combos are/were being made with fiberglass wraps around foam cores, just like a regular slalom ski. That being said, you will never get a true slalom ski from 1/2 of a pair of good/medium/bad combos.

And, yes, there is not much development $ (if any) spent on these products, so they are pretty much the same across the manufacturer. Connelly and HO are always quality/reputable brands.

petermegan
09-13-2012, 07:02 PM
I have an early nineties Obrien World Team Comp sitting around and have been looking on Ebay for a twin brother for it. I reckon this would be ideal for doubles with some performance and great for friends that are learning or lower level slalom skiers. Also saves a lot of room in the amount of gear we have to take to the lake. You will get far better quality skis this way than buying a set of doubles. We bought some top of the range Obrien's and they are heeeavy!

mcparadise
09-13-2012, 07:49 PM
...." I'm thinking about building my own wood skis."

I grew up on using salom wood ski, lost over time... A few years ago I wanted to try one again. I ended up buying a custom Maharaja ski (google). Beautiful x2. It was expensive, BUT when I'm sking in the ocean and there's chop, a heavy solid ski is so fun to ride as it literally plows thru the waves giving a great sense of security, especially for this ol'fart.

PS I have never had the chance to ski a course...and I'm sure I'll suck....BUT, tonight I'll go for the first time to the monthly meeting of the Oahu Water Ski Club, which some of you turned me onto! Thanks.