PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the tubes and boat toys???

dpolen
09-07-2012, 12:09 PM
How do you guys clean all the tubes and boat toys? I have tubes in the boat all season that the family uses constantly, but never really dries out until the end of the season. Now that I've listed my boat for sale, I've got a garage full of smelly tubes and floatables. Anybody ever try putting a tube cover in the washing machine? Just ran my mooring lines through the washer with a little fabric softener and they are just like new now.

My season is done...going to live vicariously through you guys for the balance of 2012. :(

Kyle
09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Here would be my suggestions

For tubes:
If they have mildew stains, air up the tubes and use a pressure washer very carefully or use a scrub brush with scented soap and scrub down the material. Then let fully dry.

For life vest, wet suits, barefoot suits, (neoprene style):
Full up your bathtub with warm water and a bottle of vinegar. Then put vests or suits etc in and let them soak for a few hours. Then hang until fully dried. (DO NOT pressure wash)

For non neoprene life vests:
If slightly mildew stained then pressure wash and hang dry. If just smelly then soak in tub as the neo vests.

I would not use a washing machine or dryer on the above items.

NatesGr8
09-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I use the washing machine on delicate/casual for everything, jackets, boat cover, tube cover and lines. Haven't had a problem yet.

madcityskier
09-07-2012, 02:35 PM
For getting the smell out I use a Zinsser product called Permawash. It's chlorine dioxide based and you only need a little in some warm water to do a nice job. Also great for mildew, doesn't discolor like chlorine bleach.
Your results may vary. Rinse well and don't let it dry on the surface, keep misting as necessary to prevent this.

medicmoose
09-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I've never really had a problem with the tubes, jackets or suits as I air them out after every outing...that would be my first suggestion to anyone.

My problem is getting the slime off the additional fat sacs as they seem to collect water in the creases.

TN X-45
09-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Kinda like fat girls?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SunCoast 83
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Agreed just air out all your gear and store in a cool dry place. I have an extra walk in closet in our den that houses all my skis jackets and ropes. It works some of my gear is 7 to 8 years old and it looks just like new

medicmoose
09-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Kinda like fat girls?

Well, now that you mention it.....yes, just like on fat girls! :(